Sign in to follow this  
MrFuzzy

For the next time the "sim or game" debate is raised :)

People in this tread who think they're experts are saying the 747 was FLYING at 90 kts lol. Were we watching the same vid? The guy pulled up at the last second to bleed off a ton of speed and the callout sounded like it was conducting an auction just before touchdown haha!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, 109Sqn said:

That is a tongue in cheek joke, right?🤨

Jokes aside with all sim Airbus models I've noticed in every contemporary sim with 2 early 90s Aircraft models that somehow snuck in taking the absolute cake. Luckily im team Boeing so its a non issue but getting back to whether its a sim I'm sure it is. And as whether it'll become the next P3D this most likely would happen with a better installer e.t.c.

Edited by 40track

MSFS is the first sim that has really made me take the weather into consideration when planning flights. Ignore the dangers and you can have a really bad day. But hey, reduce it to "just a game" if you want to....

Posted (edited)
On 1/7/2022 at 5:06 AM, Stearmandriver said:

I'm not even sure what this means. I'm unable to locate any company using either X Plane

Is real aircraft manufacturing good enough?

Is NASA good enough as well?

https://github.com/nasa/XPlaneConnect

The X-Plane Connect (XPC) Toolbox is an open source research tool used to interact with the commercial flight simulator software X-Plane. XPC allows users to control aircraft and receive state information from aircraft simulated in X-Plane using functions written in C, C++, Java, MATLAB, or Python in real time over the network. This research tool has been used to visualize flight paths, test control algorithms, simulate an active airspace, or generate out-the-window visuals for in-house flight simulation software. Possible applications include active control of an XPlane simulation, flight visualization, recording states during a flight, or interacting with a mission over UDP.

Edited by mtaxp

22 hours ago, WestAir said:

Again, you can stall at any airspeed. I can fly a 747 at 90 knots without the stick shaker going off, if I wanted. I can't do that in straight and level flight, but neither did the 748 in this video...

EDIT: I'm at work for the next 12 hours but when I get home I'm going to pull up the FCOM get some numbers and give you the dirty ZFW stall speed of the 747-800, then try and figure out at what fpm descent you could maintain to avoid stalling, and then if I feel up to it I'll do this same parabolic landing in a PMDG 748 and an XP11 SSG 748...

Unless someone else has today off and wants to help me out by doing it first. 😂

Who said that X-Plane or P3D 747 are "real"???? 

Again, I didn't mention stall. I think that even at minimum weight, it is pretty hard that you can have enough lift at 90 knots.

I have PSX on my other PC, which is very accurate, I will let you know.

A.

A.

3 hours ago, mtaxp said:

Is real aircraft manufacturing good enough?

Good enough for what? You seem to have truncated my statement in your quote, omitting the part about the software being used in an "actual simulator."  Just an oversight, I'm sure. 

But none of your examples are actual simulators, are they?  Admittedly I just skimmed through them, but from what I saw most of those look to be demos and wouldn't even meet the definition of a training device.  What do you see that makes you believe they're meeting the definition of even a level A simulator?  Have I missed something? 

Criteria explained here: 

https://www.ast-simulators.com.au/resources/simulator-levels-explained

Andrew Crowley

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, Stearmandriver said:

Good enough for what? You seem to have truncated my statement in your quote, omitting the part about the software being used in an "actual simulator." 

If it's good enough as a certified *flight* simulator (note: not a *specific aircraft* simulator) for REAL aircraft manufactures that also work with the military to test, fix and make sure their vehicle is safe to fly before it actually flies a single mile in reality, then it is good enough as a "simulator" by your definitions. And that's exactly what I proved with the videos above, first one is BETA team using x-plane to test their new ALIA, second one is ALIA flying in reality, simple proof.

Edited by mtaxp

18 hours ago, Krakin said:

People in this tread who think they're experts are saying the 747 was FLYING at 90 kts lol. Were we watching the same vid? The guy pulled up at the last second to bleed off a ton of speed and the callout sounded like it was conducting an auction just before touchdown haha!

More than 10 seconds actually. I am not an expert, I was just asking if this is possible. 

At 0:35 the a/c is at 121 kts and -700 fpm

At 0:41: 101 kts and +1400 fpm

At 0:44: 90 kts and +190 fpm

Is that even possible for any aircraft? And for the 747? LOL is not an answer, thanks. 

i9 10850K / 32 GB 3200 MHz CL16 / RTX 3090 / Acer Predator X34P G-Sync

10 minutes ago, MrFuzzy said:

More than 10 seconds actually. I am not an expert, I was just asking if this is possible. 

At 0:35 the a/c is at 121 kts and -700 fpm

At 0:41: 101 kts and +1400 fpm

At 0:44: 90 kts and +190 fpm

Is that even possible for any aircraft? And for the 747? LOL is not an answer, thanks. 

Yes because it is not actually flying at that point. It has been lobbed in a trajectory that lands it on the runway by pitching up and losing all its flying speed. At that point it is just a body on an arc. Realistic or not, it is a skill full use of in game physics.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, mtaxp said:

If it's good enough as a certified *flight* simulator (note: not a *specific aircraft* simulator) for REAL aircraft manufactures that also work with the military to test, fix and make sure their vehicle is safe to fly before it actually flies a single mile in reality,

Professional version, right? Not the desktop version?

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, X34 3440x1440, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

This is really a silly old discussion and I just don’t see how it can have any meaningful conclusion. A better question might be ‘Why is it important, and what motivates some people to strongly claim it’s one or the other’?

• Like 3

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, X34 3440x1440, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

2 minutes ago, scotchegg said:

This is really a silly old discussion and I just don’t see how it can have any meaningful conclusion. A better question might be ‘Why is it important, and what motivates some people to strongly claim it’s one or the other’?

Ego. Nothing more. There is no social stigma to being a nerd or playing computer games these days but there is a misconception that there is. I happily admit to playing arcade games, serious simulator games, adventure and rpg games. Some people get offended if someone labels them as a gamer or calls their sim of choice a game.

2 minutes ago, tutmeister said:

Ego

That would be my guess for most cases.