Sign in to follow this  
Guest garwig2

Does this make any sense to you?

Guest BOPrey

As soon as I broke out 10000ft, IAS dropped to ZERO.

Guest CL604

Makes perfect sense to me........your pitot tubes froze up. Turn on the Pitot Heat.

Guest BOPrey

Yes. When that happens, doesn't it act like a altimeter?

Guest allcott

?No. It acts like a frozen airspeed indicator.;)Allcott

Guest BOPrey

####. I was told when that pitot freezes up, it will act like altimeter. The reading will reflect the altitude rather than the speed.

??Never heard that one.But it kinds of does - it reads zero and very soon your altitude will be zero if you use any kind of autopilot/ autothrottle linked to KIAS.FS jet aircraft have a very bad habit of stalling and falling tail first out of the sky when the frozen pitot effect its.

Guest DanWalloch

>Yes. When that happens, doesn't it act like a altimeter?Correct...instrument flying 101.You climb and speed rises, descend and speed decreases.

>####. I was told when that pitot freezes up, it will act like>altimeter. The reading will reflect the altitude rather than>the speed.Yes, it does indeed. If the pitot port is blocked and the static port remains unclogged, the ASI effectively acts as an altitude indicator.Incidentally, X-Plane models this behaviour.Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

OMG that's what it is? I thought it must of been a bug in FSX because sometimes it happens to me.Next time I'll try pitot heat. :) Thanks!

Matthew S

Guest garwig2

If the pitot tube is clogged up but the static port remains unclogged, an airspeed indicator will behave like an altimeter in the sense that if you descend the needle will move toward zero, if you maintain altitude the needle will not move, and if you climb the needle will move up. But the actual number that the needle points to will be irrelevant. FS does not model it this way, it just puts the needle at zero.