Sign in to follow this  
SquadronLeader

G1000 Nxi v PMS50

I know the G1000 Nxi is freeware and the PMS50 is payware - that aside - which one do you think is better and why? I am just curious, as I do not appreciate what is probably many significant and subtle differences.

George Westwell

G1000Nxi, no doubt about it because is not using the default (and faulty) flight planning. You can do almost everything with it (vnav, holding patterns, missed approaches) and will only get better.

PMS is also great but suffer from the default flight planning limitation at the moment. Is much easier to use because of the touch screen and when Working Title will make the custom flight plan they use now with Nxi default I think the PMS50 will be the better product.

• Like 3

NXI for completenss and fully functioning and working with flight plans and procedures.

GTN for ease of use and basic functionality.

GTN does not like it when you click on other flight plan/ GPS buttons while in flight. You also lose last waypoint if you load an approach. GTN can not make approaches that are none existant. GTN has a lot of room for improvement.

I keep my flights simple and still use the GTN for its ease of use and not needing to turn knobs. GTN still does OBS well if no approach is available.

Keep it simple - GTN

Full immersion and complex - NXI

Edited by MSFLYER5856

5 MHz 8087 IBM Clone, 640k RAM, 10 MB HD, Hercules 64k Graphics card, 14 in Monochrome Monitor, CH Products Mach-1 Joy Stick.

59 minutes ago, Tva said:

G1000Nxi, no doubt about it because is not using the default (and faulty) flight planning. You can do almost everything with it (vnav, holding patterns, missed approaches) and will only get better.

This.

All the other gps devices use the faulty default flight planning.  Even the older WT stuff like that g3000 and G3X are pretty bad at actual navigation.  Their CJ4 proline is the only exception but even that is less powerful than the g1000 NXi.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

The G 1000 NXI does everything except cook dinner, it can't be beat. Just requires a bit of study, and experimenting, but hey, that is what aviation is all about. If it was really simple, everyone in the world would be a pilot. 

Edited by Bobsk8

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Just now, Bobsk8 said:

The G 1000 NXI does everything except cook dinner, it can't be beat. 

Well, my PC runs so hot when running MSFS that I can bake an egg on it. 😄
But indeed WT G1000NXI is very sophisticated and I will never use the full potential of it I'm afraid.

2 hours ago, SquadronLeader said:

I know the G1000 Nxi is freeware and the PMS50 is payware - that aside - which one do you think is better and why? I am just curious, as I do not appreciate what is probably many significant and subtle differences.

I use both and are enjoying both. In my opinion, the investment on the PMS50 GTN750 is worth the money.

• Like 1

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

I prefer the GTN simply because of the touch screen. Trying to control the nxi with a mouse is a serious PITA, especially in flight. Setting it up on the ground is easier but when you are bouncing around trying to input a change - nope. 

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

3 hours ago, vgbaron said:

I prefer the GTN simply because of the touch screen. Trying to control the nxi with a mouse is a serious PITA, especially in flight. Setting it up on the ground is easier but when you are bouncing around trying to input a change - nope. 

With FSUIPC7 you can bind many of the G1000NXi controls to keys or buttons by using Macros or tiny Lua scripts. I've done this for a few of the main controls involved with entering a flight plan through the PFD.

It is important to remember that keys assigned through FSUIPC7 are not "trapped" by FSUIPC7 but rather are also "seen" by the sim itself.  So you have to make sure keys used by FSUIPC7 are not also assigned to some function within the sim itself.

Al

Edited by ark

7 hours ago, vgbaron said:

This may help you, you can use your keyboard to enter data:

https://youtu.be/8pRmOUwrQJk?t=218

Edited by MattNischan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MattNischan said:

Ah! Thanx Matt, hadn't seen that. 

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I find piloting an aircraft and typing on a keyboard  at the same time an extremely tedious task where as the touch screen was made for one handed/finger inputs. Perhaps I lack coordination.

33 minutes ago, Adrian123 said:

I find piloting an aircraft and typing on a keyboard  at the same time an extremely tedious task where as the touch screen was made for one handed/finger inputs. Perhaps I lack coordination.

Perhaps you lack an autopilot!  😉

Al

Edit: Kidding aside, I do agree a touch screen is easier to use.

Edited by ark

3 hours ago, MattNischan said:

That's not the problem. This is the problem. Trying to change the FMS and Range knobs are problematic in flight. Now if the G1000 would pop out, that would be a diff story.

Edited by FPStewy

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

I like both, GTN is perfect for GA aircraft like the JF Pipers and others that are not equipped with the G1000.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |