Sign in to follow this  
rgbinns

Why buy i9 when i5 is all that MSFS seems to need?

Having read the link below it seems that the i5 12400 might be the best for MSFS and gaming in general?

It seems we may not need those E cores for gaming. Or do we?

Core i5 12400 processor review - Final Words & Conclusion (guru3d.com)

Best CPU for Gaming in 2022 - Top Gaming CPUs for the Money | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com)

King regards

Richard

Edited by rgbinns
New link
  • Like 1

Richard Binns
MSFS 2020 - Asus ROG Strix Z390-E - Skylake i7 9700k - EVGA RTX 3070 Black - 32gig G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 - Thermaltake Thor 850w Platinum PSU - Corsair Hydro H80iGT cooler - Samsung 43" UHD HDR TV - Thermaltake V71 Case - Samsung SSD 850 EVO M.2 500GB  - 2 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus V-Nand 1TB

AMD 5800X3D will be the best CPU for MSFS. Performs better than a 12900K because of the 96MB of L3 cache.

• Like 1

https://fsprocedures.com Your home for all flight simulator related checklist.

Just enjoy what you have, don't be like this guy 

https://youtu.be/yq1MaRWmqhc

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 4090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 8K Samsung Q900A 65" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

The future....  I spec my systems to last five years.  Performance and reliability.  Performance means anticipating an increasing demand for processing power over the life of that system.  Whether that be demand from the sim itself, or the demand from the sim + demand from 3rd party enhancements!

And in the future I don't want to be freekin out to OC because I did not do my homework up front!

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Well, got myself a 12700KF with no regrets, best bang for the buck, don't have to OC or worry about heat like the 12900K, MS2020 shines and performs nicely and silky smooth.

Edited by CarlosF

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

"best value for money" not "best overall" - in absolute terms the i9 will perform a wee bit better,  the question is whether the incremental improvement warrants paying all that extra money

It is sort of relative- if your on a limited budget that i5 will do a perfectly adequate job and you may be better putting the money an i9 will cost you into something like a better graphics card -- but on the other hand if you just forked out $3000 for a RTX3090 why would you skimp on the processor just to save a few hundred dollars  ?

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

2 hours ago, rgbinns said:

Having read the link below it seems that the i5 12400 might be the best for MSFS and gaming in general?

It seems we may not need those E cores for gaming. Or do we?

Core i5 12400 processor review - Final Words & Conclusion (guru3d.com)

Best CPU for Gaming in 2022 - Top Gaming CPUs for the Money | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com)

King regards

Richard

Depends on if you're planning on using VR to not.  I find an i7 to be pretty good, but more is always better as it can't hurt.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

i7/i9 for flight simming or GO HOME

Who would shoot themselves in the leg with anything less?

Edited by blueshark747

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

Depends what Model and What Generation. Some I5' are better than some I7's. So the best I5 you can get should be fine. Wherther its unlocked could also be important in some games.

Is MSFS still unfreindly to overclocking ?

Edited by MSFLYER5856

5 MHz 8087 IBM Clone, 640k RAM, 10 MB HD, Hercules 64k Graphics card, 14 in Monochrome Monitor, CH Products Mach-1 Joy Stick.

3 hours ago, blueshark747 said:

i7/i9 for flight simming or GO HOME

Who would shoot themselves in the leg with anything less?

Maybe someone that can't afford an i7/i9?

• Like 2

A horse will take you to the supermarket just like a BMW will. Why then would you want a BMW 🤪

37 minutes ago, 6297J said:

A horse will take you to the supermarket just like a BMW will. Why then would you want a BMW 🤪

Because it doesn't sh1t on the road and you don't have to get out of it and clean it with your hands 🙂

• Like 2

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png