Sign in to follow this  

Possible to run FSX at 1920x1080?

A friend has a JVC HD2K projector that only recognizes 1920x1080, and the highest resolution he gets as a selection is 1280x1024. Is it possible to use 1920x1080?

Not on my system at least. I can run at 1920 x 1200, which is what I use for the 24 inch widescreen display that I use, but 1920 x 1080 does not appear as an option on the selection interface within FSX. Not sure whether this is a limitation of my graphics card, my display or FSX.Sorry I can't be more help!Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

That would be a function of your video card and video drivers. FSX just enumerates all the DirectX capable modes (as defined by the video driver) and shows them in the list box, we don't limit any resolution choices within the game (except we don't allow any resolution smaller than 1024x768) - on my dual monitor nVidia setup running in Horizontal Span mode, I get a 3200x1200 selection in FSX for the fullscreen resolution.Check if Windows can even provide the mode you are looking for first (in the display properties dialog - right click on the desktop and select properties), cause if Windows don't have it, then FSX probably won't either.

i am running 2 monitor setupone with 1920x1080 resolution without any problems (looks great Westinghouse 42 LCD)and the second 20inch 1650x1080 without problems eitherboth FSX ans FS2004 run smoothlythis is with an NVIDIA card just like beatle's (Tim)- who is part of microsoft flight simulator development teamhope this helps youBo

Bo Klop

Thanks guys, I will pass this information along.

Guest acony1966

>That would be a function of your video card and video>drivers. FSX just enumerates all the DirectX capable modes>(as defined by the video driver) and shows them in the list>box, we don't limit any resolution choices within the game>(except we don't allow any resolution smaller than 1024x768) ->on my dual monitor nVidia setup running in Horizontal Span>mode, I get a 3200x1200 selection in FSX for the fullscreen>resolution.>>Check if Windows can even provide the mode you are looking for>first (in the display properties dialog - right click on the>desktop and select properties), cause if Windows don't have>it, then FSX probably won't either.>>Thank you all for your replies. I am the guy with the HD2K and needing 1920x1080 in FSX. I have upgraded my hardware and now have an EVGA nForce 680i motherboard, 2 gig of 800MHz DDR2 Corsair RAM, Intel Core duo 6700 2.67GHz CPU, and EVGA e-GeForce 8800 GTS graphics card (640MB DDR3), a fresh install of XP Media center, FSX Deluxe and added SP1 today.... I still do not have any choices of resolution in FSX above 1280x1024. I contacted Microsoft moments ago and was told the max. resolution in FSX was 1280x1024. What can I do to check or change things to allow the 1920x1080? All other programs in my computer run fine at 1920x1080 and my display properties list modes even higher, but not in FSX.Thanks again,Adam

Guest Milamber

"I contacted Microsoft moments ago and was told the max. resolution in FSX was 1280x1024."Well whoever you talked to there either lied or didn't know what the heck they were talking about. As stated above FSX should allow you to run it in any res that Windows will....IE if you can set your desktop to the resolution you should be able to set FSX to it. I'm running at 1680x1050 (22" LCD) so I know that the above statement is false. Try deleting any entries that begin with "[DISPLAY.Device..." in your FSX.cfg file and see if that helps.

FYI, I run FSX at 3360x1050 and it works fine.Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Guest acony1966

Hello Gary and thank you and the others for your replies. Wow! so you actually split the horizontal resolution between 2 monitors? I've read on the AV Science forum about blending 2 projectors, but never gave a thought to trying it with direct view monitors. I wonder if my monitor could be my problem? I'm using an old Sony VAIO CPD-220VS CRT that I have on my work bench to setup the computer. Could Directx be limiting resolution available in FSX because my monitor reports 1280x1024 as max? (It's actually displaying the 1920x1080 for everything else, but only because I unchecked "hide modes that this monitor cannot display") Prior to doing this, nothing above 1280x1024 was available in Windows. Thanks again,Adam

Guest acony1966

Hello again,It was my monitor limiting the available resolutions. Took the computer to a bedroom and connected it to a Sony 1080P LCD, everything I needed to select 1920x1080 came up in FSX... Moved it again to the theater and the JVC HD2K displayed everything beautifully. Thank you all for your input and help.Happy flying,Adam

Glad to see you got it sorted, and glader to see that you actually posted your fix and brought closure to this post (for when someone searches in future). Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11