Sign in to follow this  
flibberflops

Shocked how bad installation is

Just performed a wipe disk installation of Windows 11 (due to Alder lake upgrade). I have now spent over 24 hours trying to get MSFS2020 installed (MS store version) without success. I cannot believe how bad it is!

Now you maybe assuming that I am having a problem with the big download. Nope, my problem is I can't get the 45mb initial install to install from the store (It keeps starting, stalling and freezing).

This is a wipe disk installation of Win with just all drivers, win updates, store updates installed and nothing else. My internet is showing 150mbps for everying else and is wired (not wifi). I am installing MSFS2020 to a blank disc of its own... and i have followed all the various online problem determination instructions (even though they are geared for for windows 10) with no luck

Every other download/software is working fine. I have actually formatted an reinstalled win 11 three times now to start a fresh... why the hell do they have to make it complex, just give a EXE install!

• Like 1

Typical... 10 minutes after posting this rant, it all kicks in!

Bloody Microsoft... they must be watching me... they are watching you too!😏

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, flibberflops said:

Typical... 10 minutes after posting this rant, it all kicks in!

Bloody Microsoft... they must be watching me... they are watching you too!😏

My advice : don't count your chicken until all the eggs are hatched

• Like 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Flibber - I feel your pain- it took me 30 hours of messing about to finally get MSFS to install. If I hadn't spent £3k on a new computer especially for it, I'd have given up.

I first bought the Steam edition - but when I went to install only ever got a black screen - then nothing happened. Spent hours on it, but eventually gave up, Steam were pretty good about a refund - even though the Steam App said I'd "played" it for 5 hours - that was all waiting for it to install, they refunded without a quibble.

So bought the Store edition - I'll be darned! Exactly the same problem - no install, just a black screen.

Below I've pasted my post I put on the forum, when I finally found out what the problem was - found the answer on one of my many hundreds of Google searches - on the official MSFS forum,

I'd have never guessed the answer in a hundred years!

The Solution:

"Well the mystery is solved at last - but bizarre or what!

I decided to buy the store edition - and exactly the same thing happened! Click on play to download - a black screen - then nothing!

Wasn't expecting that!

So back to the drawing board - I spent £3000 on a new PC just for MSFS, I need to get it installed.

Dominiques suggestion of using Edge instead of Chrome sounded promising - but no luck there.

Tried wired internet connection instead of wireless - no luck

Defender Firewall and virus temporarily off  - no luck

Really running out of ideas - if someone had suggested walking around my garden in my underwear reciting the Gettysburg address, well it's gotta be worth a shot?

More Googling - found a Microsoft forum where others were having the same problem - glad it wasn't just me - someone suggested changing the Speaker output.

Changing the speaker output to enable a Microsoft download? It's up there with the Gettysberg address - so definitely worth a punt!

Switched from using a pair of USB speakers - to the Panasonic TV's build in speakers - pressed the play button for software download for the hundredth time, and, blimey! It worked!

That is just the most bizarre thing! 

That's 30 man/hours of my life I'll never get back - but finally managed to download it - now for the real fun - getting it to work properly!

Eugene  

• Like 2

Thanks Overload, what a bizarre story, unbelievable. Made me laugh the way you wrote it, not because of your suffering....

Most of what is said on the Internet may be the same thing they shovel on the regular basis at the local barn.

For me it was Windows 11 causing the issue. After my post I had a boat load of other problems with windows 11 (MSFS crashing all over the place) and so I did a disk wipe install of Windows 10 instead. This time the MSFS install was a dream.

I'd give WIN 11 a full year before installing.

It's always a driver thing with a new OS.

ns

AMD RYZEN 9 5900X 12 CORE CPU - ZOTAC RTX 3060Ti GPU - NZXT H510i ELITE CASE - EVO M.2 970 500GB DRIVE - 32GB XTREEM 4000 MEM - XPG GOLD 80+ 650 WATT PS - NZXT 280 HYBRID COOLER

I believe in both cases Win11 or MSFS, it's a hit or miss.

In my case I installed Win11 on a new M.2 drive, installation of Win went without a single problem, proceeded with MSFS pointed the installation to my Community folder (I had my community folder in a different M.2 drive/folder) and all went fine. Who knows why some jump through hoopes and others have no complications in the process. 

Could it be that in some cases users keep the default path for community folder and others like me opt for a different path? In any case, Asobo needs to address the problem.

Edited by CarlosF

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

If you look on Oculus website they say their headsets do not work well with Windows 11 and that they do not yet have a stable windows 11 driver for the Quests or Rift.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

On 1/6/2022 at 6:17 AM, flibberflops said:

Bloody Microsoft...

It has nothing to do with MS, it's AWS that's hosting the files that's the problem also depending on where they are hosted, just slow down your downloads speed through software or router to about 5Mbps. Depending on traffic some "hostings" won't allow fast unlimited.

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

I have now spent 3 days trying to re install. When the update dropped, the sim would not open anymore for me. It needed a full re install. Now, I get to 40 gbs downloaded and it hangs up. I have no idea what I will do. 

On 1/12/2022 at 3:37 AM, FPStewy said:

It has nothing to do with MS, it's AWS that's hosting the files that's the problem also depending on where they are hosted, just slow down your downloads speed through software or router to about 5Mbps. Depending on traffic some "hostings" won't allow fast unlimited.

Sorry, I disagree. For me it was definately WIn11

Windows 11 was an absolute nightmare to get updates installed. Luckily a fresh windows installation is really quick these days (especially when you have all drivers and 3rd party software on a usb). I went from a MSFS2020 file installation nightmare on windows 11, to a MSFS2020 file installation dream on windows 10 in less than 30 mins.