Sign in to follow this  
mSparks

Another XP12 preview drops

When will the release be available?

Corsair 5000D Airflow | Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Master | i7-11700K @ 4.9GHz | Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB DDR4-3600 CL16 RAM | Crucial P5 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME | WD 14TB external HDD | Gigabyte RTX 3080 Aorus Master | EVGA G3 850 W 80+ Gold PSU | LG 32GP850-B 32.0" 2560x1440 165Hz | Saitek X52 HOTAS | Win10 21H2

2 hours ago, OlliePen said:

When will the release be available?

Going by the Vulkan beta I'm betting on June.

Forgive me for not looking deeper for a release date, but has a rough date been set? Within the next month? Summer or winter of this year?

EDIT Just noticed post above guessing at June. So we are a way out!

Edited by Doering

Lawrence “Laurie” Doering

Latest video at The Flight Level F-18 Hornet | Supersonic Medical Transport | Dubai to Abu Dhabi | First Mission in DCS World | 4K

34 minutes ago, Doering said:

Forgive me for not looking deeper for a release date, but has a rough date been set? Within the next month? Summer or winter of this year?

EDIT Just noticed post above guessing at June. So we are a way out!

That’s just a guestimation of someone who is very much in the loop.

seriously, nobody outside LR knows, but release notes are out, minimal specs are out. The announcement can drop tomorrow or next Christmas 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm patiently waiting. I was going to pull the trigger for Xplane 11.55 after I got my new M.2 SSD. Then the news about 12 came out and when I saw the early teaser vids I decided to wait. In the meantime I will enjoy my A2A planes in my Orbx laden P3D setup with ASN P3D and EA.

• Like 1

Somebody posted info from a Laminar article stating the current internal XP12 alpha build being at its ninth iteration.
If we take the 11.50 release example there were 11 internal builds and 20 public betas before going final.
Even if the first public beta would be released tomorrow the final XP12 release would be still several months away.

And if you are into addons it would be a few more months after the official release before they're adjusted for XP12.

I don't know if Laminar would offer a free or discounted upgrade path to XP12 for people buying XP11 now, might be worth investigating.

Edited by peroni

9 minutes ago, peroni said:

Somebody posted info from a Laminar article stating the current internal XP12 alpha build being at its ninth iteration.
If we take the 11.50 release example there were 11 internal builds and 20 public betas before going final.
Even if the first public beta would be released tomorrow the final XP12 release would be still several months away.

And if you are into addons it would be a few more months after the official release before they're adjusted for XP12.
I don't know if Laminar would offer a free or discounted upgrade path to XP12 for people buying XP11 now, might be worth investigating.

Lettsss Gooo. I was a day one beta user for xp11(sometimes painful but it was beautiful)  and I will be for xp12!!  Hopefully ortho will be compatible w xp12. 

• Upvote 1

7900x3d , 64gb 6200mhz 30CL Ram, RTX 3080

On 1/9/2022 at 10:10 AM, BiologicalNanobot said:

This is something I have always wondered too. I always hear people saying how superior X-Plane is when it comes to flight dynamics, aircraft systems and other simulation aspects - while I agree with the flight dynamics part, I completely disagree with the aircraft systems part. X-Plane itself is not better in terms of aircraft systems, the add-ons available for it are. For instance, the newly released Challenger 650 uses zero default systems of X-Plane, all of its systems are custom modelled and X-Plane is nothing more than a flight dynamics engine and a scenery generator from its point-of-view. Fly the default 747 in X-Plane, it is really not any better than MSFS in terms of systems modelling, if not worse. In short, X-Plane is really not any better when it comes to systems modelling, not only that, systems modelling is not even an inherent property of base simulators. Systems modelling is merely a property of add-on aircraft, so it should be out of discussion at first place. When it comes to weather simulation, I would say both simulators are equally worse compared to Prepar3D, though X-Plane allows third party weather engines to inject their own weather to close the gap, which MSFS does not allow. Hence I really do not see any other realism (or simulation, as people call it) benefit other than flight modelling in X-Plane compared to other simulators. This is why I do not think other simulators are years behind, and I am saying this as a user of and developer for all 3 major simulators. I wish people accepted the fact that all 3 major simulators are very capable when it comes to the simulation aspect of flight, instead of berating other simulators as "games" (there is nothing wrong with them being games, in fact this is exactly what they are, but in this case "game" is used as a derogatory term to imply it is not as realistic) and I wish people gave the developers behind such beautiful aircraft add-ons the credit they deserve instead of attributing their success to the simulator they run on.

With that out of the way, people are missing something really important in that screenshot, at least for me it is something more fascinating than the water puddles. Water puddles surely look beautiful but they are relatively easy to render and they are just mere post-processing effects. So I would like to redirect your attention to the runway lights, which has been very underappreciated so far in this thread. Simply put, the runway lights look much better than any other simulator I have seen - it seems like their work on photometric lighting paid off as the intensity of the lights and how the light spreads on the runway looks really natural. This is what gave me the "wow" effect in this screenshot, it looks extremely realistic and natural, really nothing like I have ever seen before.

Basically, the same way A2A overrides FSX/P3D default systems?

On 1/9/2022 at 4:10 PM, BiologicalNanobot said:

completely disagree with the aircraft systems part. X-Plane itself is not better in terms of aircraft systems, the add-ons available for it are.

It's both.

Default systems are detailed enough and easily enough to use that even if you know nothing about aviation one person can put together a decent enough GA plane from scratch in 6 to 12 months. 

When default systems aren't enough XP doesn't get in the way much, and just takes over the really hard math stuff.

All that backed up by a very sensible and easy to understand SDK. And if you want to make something cool that no one has succeeded in before like say volumetric clouds the LR equivalent of Jorg Neumann will PM you everything you need to get it working.

Other Sims are wild west. FSX based stuff has exactly zero useful tools. Afaict, you spend more time waiting for the SIM to load and fighting CTDs than you will actually developing in MSFS.

Meanwhile, I get bored on a weekend (not enough time for many people to start MSFS once) and completely to replace the logic behind every control surface on a 747

And after years of all that still you wonder why XP is just better at everything?

• Like 1

AutoATC Developer

One of the areas I hope we see some improvement is the ground textures - They just aren't good compared to the other sims. I guess with P3D there is the Orbx global range which is missing from X-Plane apart from certain areas such as the UK. I suppose there is Ortho but that takes time a lot of storage space to get setup. Or at least a product that can deal with it with ease.

Matt

Vote for better camera support in MSFS: https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/t/camera-api/3077/29

X Plane 12 is shaping up to be a niche sim for night time flying. The screenshots so far have indicated so. Maybe it can specialize in this segment and stay afloat. Perhaps a good sim to help with IFR training and be the one for jets and fly by wire.

Maybe also a sunset sim...😅

KLAX.jpg

Fuel-trucks.jpg

Edited by Janov
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Greazer said:

Something about the sunset, it does not look natural or real to me. Just my 2 cents.

Anything else would have surprised all of us 😄

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Janov said:

Anything else would have surprised all of us 😄

😂

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus