Sign in to follow this  
mSparks

Another XP12 preview drops

So, how did we go from "Another XP12 preview drops" to critiquing XP11 scenery...again?

Edited by GoranM
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

With three platforms to fly and at least two of them getting better with each version I can't understand the sim bashing. 

I guess you just can't fix stupid!

• Like 1

"It's ALL about Flying"

i7-9700k @5ghz | 32gb Gskill Ripjaw 5 DDR4 3000 | Nvidia RTX 4080 | W10 Pro | Samsung 32" 4K TV 

5 hours ago, rka said:

Always makes me wonder why real aircraft have windows in the first place when it's actually not possible, not necessary™ to look out of those...

Well, no one said that it is not possible to look out of aircraft´s windows. Or maybe someone did? Can you find that for me?

I WILL say - however - that it is not necessary to look out of an IFR equipped aircrafts windows following IFR rules and procedures to appropriate airports, except for the stretch from the parking position to the runway and the takeoff run and from the minimum of your approach (which may be 0 feet) until you are parked at the stand again. Ask me how I know 🙂

You may not see your house on those flights 😉

• Upvote 3

59 minutes ago, Janov said:

Well, no one said that it is not possible to look out of aircraft´s windows. Or maybe someone did? Can you find that for me?

Sure:

16 hours ago, Gary1124 said:

Fly study level aircraft and you won't have time to look at the ground if you are using RW practices in your sim flying. I found that out when I started flying A2A planes. They are not on rails. You actually have to fly them. You can also break the engine to if you don't do it real.

Not possible, due to lack of time.

You mentioned already that it's also not necessary, several times actually.

1 hour ago, Janov said:

You may not see your house on those flights 😉

Classy as always 😉 

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

7 hours ago, rka said:

Sure:

You mentioned already that it's also not necessary, several times actually.

Classy as always 😉 

How about we just wait until XP12 comes out?  Then you can come back and start bashing that.

Edited by GoranM
  • Upvote 4

8 hours ago, GoranM said:

So, how did we go from "Another XP12 preview drops" to critiquing XP11 scenery...again?

I guess thats the preview we are all really waiting for. I also suspect it will be the last one we get.

AutoATC Developer

5 hours ago, Greazer said:

How do you go from "Pilots are not developers" 🤣

What part of your post (which doesn't even make sense), addresses the thread title?

I'm giving people enough credit to understand that a full time pilot can't also be a full time developer.  If you lack the basic common sense to understand the full context of my post, that's fine.  I'm happy to clarify it for you.

Why are these posts still being permitted in these forums, from the same people??

Edited by GoranM
  • Upvote 3

9 hours ago, rka said:

Really? 🤣

Sorry, that is splitting hairs, some might even say ridiculous.

I should not have to explain to a grownup that "not necessary" and "won´t have time to do it" is not the same as "impossible"... but it appears that in your case an explanation is needed.

It is very tough, if not impossible, to have a serious discussion, governed by the laws of logic, with someone who is twisting and bending even the most basic conventions to make his point.

Edited by Janov
  • Upvote 2

It seems that despite the pinned warning at the top of this forum the message still isn’t getting through. Well maybe a 5 day site ban will hammer the message home. I’ve issued one this morning.

There is no limit to the number of times I’m prepared to do this to keep this forum a nice place to visit. Remember there is an Ignore User option.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Well, I mean it is no secret that rka and me are not really friends - and I am really not innocent myself and would be a better man if I could refrain from adding those little pinpricks about "seeing your house" and such... Sorry for that. 😑

The sad thing is that no one here (except for one guy) really contests that MSFS has better graphics and nicer scenery! The point is conceded 100%, I don´t know why this needs to be argued over and "rubbed in" again and again?

Some of us like this simulator better, they forego the nicer graphics for various reasons and they have every right to make that choice.

We can discuss and explain our choices and preferences, and I think that definitely has room in a hobbiest forum. But there are some rules and conventions to go by if the discussion is to stay fruitful and civil.

If someone says "I prefer X-Plane because when I fly my complex aircraft I rarely have time to look out of the window" it is not helpful to twist this into "LOL, this guy said its impossible to look out of an aircraft´s window (because "no time = impossible"), look at 'em dumb X-Plane users, LOL" out of it. That feels like arguing with my wife (who I love very much)!

Lets stay true to what people say (and the way they mean it) and not twist and split hairs. There MUST be some appeal to X-Plane that elevates it over MSFS for some people, otherwise there wouldn´t be thousands of users every day firing up XP11 with its dated graphics...instead of MSFS.

Lets accept that fact and I welcome insight into what MSFS does different and/or better. There should be no taboo on any "other simulator mentioning" in a forum, that is really cult-like and smacks of insecurity. But give common courtesy and be mindful of the community you enter when posting here.

I have almost completely given up (except for emergencies when they really beat up someone mentioning X-Plane) on posting anything in the MSFS forum, it has gotten to the point that rivals the medievial inquisition - even the die-hard MSFS fans need to open any post that could be interpreted as the slightest form of critique with several disclaimers of "I love MSFS" and "MSFS is all I will ever use" and "MSFS is the greatest gift to simmers ever"...before asking for help with a problem they have, or else the mob will tar and feather before burning the heretic at the stake.

It is really rabid, and if you look through the posts it has become a meaningless forum with only featuring announcements for new add-ons and posts where the usual suspects sing the praise of Asobo and Microsoft... to bait the dissenters so they can purge their ranks of them, no doubt. 😅

Let´s not be like that here.

Cheers, Jan

Edited by Janov
  • Like 12
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

It seems that despite the pinned warning at the top of this forum the message still isn’t getting through. Well maybe a 5 day site ban will hammer the message home. I’ve issued one this morning.

There is no limit to the number of times I’m prepared to do this to keep this forum a nice place to visit. Remember there is an Ignore User option.

Glad you noticed we where trying hard not to bite.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2022 at 10:10 AM, BiologicalNanobot said:

Also mentioned in MSFS SDK documentation:

spacer.png

Anyone who may think "HTML + JavaScript means that your flight simulator runs IE" is far behind the curve.

WASM via inNative can easily get you "HTML and JavaScript" that looks like this and is performant.  This isn't your father's website.

X-Plane would be wise to follow a similar path.

spacer.png

19 minutes ago, Gulfstream said:

Anyone who may think "HTML + JavaScript means that your flight simulator runs IE" is far behind the curve.

WASM via inNative can easily get you "HTML and JavaScript" that looks like this and is performant.  This isn't your father's website.

X-Plane would be wise to follow a similar path.

It's fine to have an opinion, but if you're going to have an opinion, you'll need to back it up with facts.

After pushing the boundaries in what X-Plane is capable of, after making the CL650, I'm not convinced that X-Plane will be wise to adopt any other workflow or SDK other than the one it has kept for the past 3 decades.

We know, unequivocally, that the CL650 cannot be made, with all the features and systems coding it has, for MSFS.  

Edited by GoranM
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Janov said:

The sad thing is that no one here (except for one guy) really contests that MSFS has better graphics and nicer scenery!

For the record. Again.

I dont contest "MSFS can have better graphics and nicer scenery"

I contest that XP11 can't have better graphics and nicer scenery.

I have said for years that "out of the box" -well before MSFS was even announced - that XP11 graphics and scenery require significant effort on the part of the user to bring it up to a usuable state.

But once you have your scenery installed, in a VR headset, with the settings tweeked to get smooth performance, there is nothing much of note between them, in fact XP11 does do the "aviation" part of the scenery better and MSFS is still playing catching up.

Oh, and also, when it comes to graphics in flight sim, every button in the cockpit working like the real thing is the first and foremost requirement, anything else is a work in progress.

It doesnt matter how hard they try, no one is going to be convinced that MSFS forests or orthophoto are a good enough reason to give up their zibo, S76 etc.

XP12 would suffer similar challenges if they broke to much stuff.

• Like 1

AutoATC Developer

4 minutes ago, mSparks said:

But once you have your scenery installed, in a VR headset, with the settings tweeked to get smooth performance, there is nothing much of note between them, in fact XP11 does do the "aviation" part of the scenery better and MSFS is still playing catching up.

I am seriously not here to get into simulator comparisons, all I can say on this is I bought the Oculus Quest 2 and recently (thanks to your posts) tried it out, but I tried it it out in MSFS.

Totally usable out-of-the-box on a 1660TI laptop card in VR.  It does reduce the graphical settings to match the hardware but I had to do ZERO tweaking, ZERO addons and I got a photorealistic world in VR.

That's a problem for X-Plane.

• Like 2