Sign in to follow this  
mSparks

Another XP12 preview drops

30 minutes ago, Gulfstream said:

It does reduce the graphical settings to match the hardware

yep. to pretty much identical to that of xplane + ortho.

Except you only get something like 30 decent airports with msfs instead of the 10s of thousands with XP. and all the msfs cockpits are marginal at best.

There's also an XP project up now for all the "small fields".

Edited by mSparks
  • Like 1

AutoATC Developer

3 minutes ago, mSparks said:

There's also an XP project up now for all the "small fields".

Do you have a link?

22 hours ago, GoranM said:

So, how did we go from "Another XP12 preview drops" to critiquing XP11 scenery...again?

Not sure if I have missed any further posts where there has been an argument but my posts in this thread were simply about hoping to see an improvement in ground textures in X-Plane 12 compared to what we currently have in 11. It wasn't meant go into a full de-rail but just a hope that is what we will see in the next version of X-Plane. Anyway, we can only see what happens when more previews come along and eventually the release of 12. 

Matt

Vote for better camera support in MSFS: https://devsupport.flightsimulator.com/t/camera-api/3077/29

2 minutes ago, peroni said:

I see, it has been available since 2015 and while it is a great project from the genius that developed xOrganizer, it creates these airports with very very basic computer generated scenery. 

Sure. but its got to be better for somewhere like LYSM. Not actually checked it tbh, just saw it had been updated for the new XP data recently and reminded myself I need to check it.

"computer generated " just means it uses the airport footprint to add the 3d data.

AutoATC Developer

4 hours ago, Gulfstream said:

WASM via inNative can easily get you "HTML and JavaScript" that looks like this and is performant.  This isn't your father's website.

How do you define "performant" exactly?

Because although there is no doubt any modern Web engine can render a simple drawing like this relatively fast, what matters is also how it behaves when there are another couple dozen gauges also rendering this kind of graphics at the same time per-frame. This quickly adds up in a simulator where each resources (CPU/GPU/RAM/VRAM/Bus) are heavily shared amongst all there is to render and compute in a single frame, every frame.

So what about it?

- Taking less RAM? less VRAM?
- Reducing PCIe bus traffic?
- Reducing CPU load overall? on 1 core? on x cores?
- Scalable (i.e. you can render 10x these displays for less than 10x the resources to render 1)?

And are you saying WASM+inNative can be performant to draw these things, because it is the SDK way to get access to the HTML+JS SDK but from C++?

Edited by RXP
  • Upvote 2

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

6 hours ago, Gulfstream said:

I am seriously not here to get into simulator comparisons, all I can say on this is I bought the Oculus Quest 2 and recently (thanks to your posts) tried it out, but I tried it it out in MSFS.

Totally usable out-of-the-box on a 1660TI laptop card in VR.  It does reduce the graphical settings to match the hardware but I had to do ZERO tweaking, ZERO addons and I got a photorealistic world in VR.

That's a problem for X-Plane.

Only for those who care and many of us dont. And honestly where sick if it. If you like ms please leave us alone we dont care

Edited by mjrhealth
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, mjrhealth said:

many of us dont

OTOH, if he is that excited about having a photo realistic world in VR.

Imagine how he is going to be when XP12 drops giving him real world lighting in VR and hundreds of decent aircraft to fly in to 10s of thousands of airports.

That's a problem for Microsoft, so given he has personal friends in Asobo you can understand the tone of fear in his post.....

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

My comments were relevant to X-Plane in the sense that it is so (finally, after 30 years) enjoyable to be able to just boot up a simulator, go into VR, and click a button.  And it just works.

X-Plane is good for the tinkerers, but I've personally spent who knows how many hours of my life fiddling with configuration flies, overlay priorities, sky modifiers, windshield rain, realistic pilot head movements, making my own ortho, everything.

Flight simulation was why I became a commercial pilot in the first place.

It's nice to be able to jump and and go for it where the default, out of the box experience is impressive enough.

It's topical, because this is something that X-Plane can strive towards.  They were first in VR, if they can get a base simulator that doesn't require tweaking all these knobs to get what you want, that'd be a big step in the right direction.

Of course, for those want to do all this, the power is available to them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gulfstream said:

My comments were relevant to X-Plane in the sense that it is so (finally, after 30 years) enjoyable to be able to just boot up a simulator, go into VR, and click a button.  And it just works.

In 30 seconds or less. yep XP11 is awesome I agree. But you are probably thinking you are posting in

This thread is for XP12, not last gen sims.

Edited by mSparks

AutoATC Developer

4 hours ago, mSparks said:

In 30 seconds or less. yep XP11 is awesome I agree. But you are probably thinking you are posting in

It's unfair on this forum we can't disagree without getting our posts locked or the thread closed.  I tried to do point/counterpoint.

But at this point I'm convinced people are either on the take or are actually just Austin in disguise.  :blink:

I am out on this particular thread.  I wish both platforms the best.

Edited by Gulfstream
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Gulfstream said:

It's unfair on this forum we can't disagree without getting our posts locked or the thread closed.  I tried to do point/counterpoint.

But at this point I'm convinced people are either on the take or are actually just Austin in disguise.  :blink:

I am out on this particular thread.  I wish both platforms the best.

Nothing can be further from the truth.  I'm part of several discords where both are discussed.  I admin 2 of them, where we have open discussion of MSFS.  There are always discussions between the 2.  The big difference is, in here, there are 3 or 4 particular individuals, who keep screaming how bad X-Plane is, and that X-Plane will die, and if LR want to stay competitive, Austin needs to do this, this and that.  One I particularly love is "X-Plane needs to match or excel MSFS in order to stay competitive", to which my response is, "Does that mean if/when XP matches or excels MSFS, MSFS becomes obsolete?".  The only response I get is "X-Plane won't match or excel MSFS."

And not meaning to single you out, but comments like this. "X-Plane would be wise to follow a similar path." don't really go down well in an X-Plane forum, without facts as to why.  You're basically saying, "MSFS is better than X-Plane because of this..."

Glass displays in X-Plane can be coded in Cairo.  They can't in MSFS.  I'm not going to say X-Plane is better because of this.  But I will say it's advantageous that it CAN be coded in Cairo.

Why should X-Plane change how they do things, when what they have been doing has been working for countless developers?  As long as it gets the job done, and people are happy, just let it stay the way it is.  No need to re-invent the wheel.  It takes teams of developers, several years (PMDG took 6 years to make their MD11 with 8 developers), to make a reasonably coded, study level airliner.  It took 2 developers, 3 years to make a study level CL650.

If we can stay civilized, and mature, I don't see a reason to abolish comparisons. The problem is, not everyone is civilized and mature. So, unfortunately, moderation is needed.

Edited by GoranM
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Gulfstream said:

X-Plane is good for the tinkerers,

I've been involved with X-Plane since 2009.  Never tinkered with it.  I've gotten a weather addon, and some ortho, but that is no different to Activesky and OrbX.

I do remember many tweaks and some add ons for MSFS (TweakFS being one of them).

46 minutes ago, Gulfstream said:

Not really.  You basically said LR are stupid...ok...Unwise...for not using the equivalent of WASM and SimConnect, which is a tinkering tool for developers, no?  Without it, no complex airliners, correct? 

That's not a point/counterpoint.  That's "If they don't use this, they're not good at what they do."

48 minutes ago, Gulfstream said:

But at this point I'm convinced people are either on the take or are actually just Austin in disguise.

I've assumed the same thing from MSFS users coming in here and posting repetitive negativity about X-Plane.  But, the only thing is, we're being passionate about something, in the appropriate forums.  I still don't see why that's a problem for some people?

50 minutes ago, Gulfstream said:

I am out on this particular thread. 

Ok.  I mean, you didn't HAVE to announce it, but if you feel you had to...great.

51 minutes ago, Gulfstream said:

I wish both platforms the best.

That's all we want, as well.  Without others trying to douse the fire.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Gulfstream said:

what are you disagreeing with?

XP11 takes 30seconds to load into VR and gets 60fps+ in sim on decent hardware with (nearly) max settings.

On linux.

I dont know or care much about that microsoft lark, not really used it since windows 7. Seems like garbage to me, over promised under delivered bad copies of stuff Ive had better than for years. Im happy for you that you have found VR, this thread just simply isnt the place to discuss it, us VR junkies are a tiny minority of a small userbase of a niche product on a premium platform.

• Like 1

AutoATC Developer