Sign in to follow this  
Adamski_NZ

Another update, another STUFF UP - install loop AGAIN

I'm so tired of this horrific Asobo update procedure.

Yet again, I'm stuck in one of those dreaded update loops. This time it's fs-base-0.1.210-fspatch ... at around 96% of the 8Gb "update".

The solution appears to be to find (and delete) the offending .part file - which is located in ...\LocalCache\Packages\Official\OneStore (MS Store version).

Grrrr!

Edited by Adamski_NZ
removed attempted swear word

NZFSIM_Signature_257_60.png

Just went through the same thing... part 64/70 stuck.

Deleted the "part file" and downloading 8 GB.. lets see..

Edit: And this time it completed successfully.. 😉

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

The update completed without issues on my end and works beautifully. Seems I gained a few frames as well.

Before updating, I created a community.old folder and put all my contents from the community folder inside the community.old folder. I then went to MS store, clicked Library and selected update all, which included a MSFS202 update. Once completed, I loaded MSFS and ran the update when prompted. Once completed, I updated all available contents from Content Manager then closed MSFS 2020. I then removed all my items from community.old folder back to the community folder and everything just worked fine from there. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Edited by troyboy66
  • Like 2

Troy Kemp

Win 11 64 Pro on 1TB nvme + 500GB ssd  / P3Dv5.3+ on 1TB nvme+ 250GB with P3D addons / MS2020 2TB nvme /I9 13900K@ 5.8ghz / 32GB DDR4 3600mhz / MSI MPG Z690 DDR4 with wifi / RTX 4090FE

Regardless of what other steps you take, I think the error is random - and happens if there's some connectivity issue or glitch. You'd expect that the installer would be able to do a checksum and automatically delete/redownload the offending .part file.

Edited by Adamski_NZ
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Adamski_NZ said:

Regardless of what other stweps you take, I think the error is random - and happens if there's some connectivity issue or glitch. You'd expect that the installer would be able to do a checksum and automatically delete/redownload the offending .part file.

True, but I wanted to point out that MSFS updates often never updates if there are third party products in the community folder. What you are currently experiencing is what I use to experience until I tried the other option.

Troy Kemp

Win 11 64 Pro on 1TB nvme + 500GB ssd  / P3Dv5.3+ on 1TB nvme+ 250GB with P3D addons / MS2020 2TB nvme /I9 13900K@ 5.8ghz / 32GB DDR4 3600mhz / MSI MPG Z690 DDR4 with wifi / RTX 4090FE

4 minutes ago, troyboy66 said:

True, but I wanted to point out that MSFS updates often never updates if there are third party products in the community folder. What you are currently experiencing is what I use to experience until I tried the other option.

I'm not sure that's entirely true either (LOL!!). I usually empty/disable everything via Addons Linker - but there's always a handful of addons that have got installed directly into my Community folder that remain. The update(s) have worked in the past, with those odd few left in there - as it did on my 2nd run today (with the .part file removed).

Generally, though - I agree - it's good advice to have a fresh/clean Community folder if you can.

2 hours ago, ADamiani said:

It's downloading 115.03 GB here.

What is this joke?

Same issue. It literally deleted the entire sim, along with all the community folder. Utterly incredible. Having to re-install the entire thing for 3rd time now. This is just unacceptable.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

54 minutes ago, Adamski_NZ said:

Regardless of what other steps you take, I think the error is random - and happens if there's some connectivity issue or glitch. You'd expect that the installer would be able to do a checksum and automatically delete/redownload the offending .part file.

That is what I observe as well... First time through, it attempts to download "patches", but if it gets stuck in a loop and you remove the offending "part" file, it reverts to downloading the entire thing..

Bert

try shutting off ipv6 internet protocol in internet options, helped for me.

Anthony

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9700K CPU @ 3.60GHz   3.60 GHZ, 32 GB ram, win 10, gtx 1080 gpu

No problems with update at MS store , but I did have 4 updates in my content manager and have had no luck DL them .....CTD . Update , used Safe Mode and was able to install the DL's in content manager .

Edited by johnbow72

Would it be possible to recover the installation with a recovery tool?  The data must still be there on the hard disk, it is simply flagged as deleted until is is physically wiped or overwritten.

I backed up my whole MSFS folder just in case, but luckily my update from the beta went alright.  It is such a mixed bag for people though - I understand the frustration!

Edited by bobcat999

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

2 hours ago, troyboy66 said:

but I wanted to point out that MSFS updates often never updates if there are third party products in the community folder.

That's not a true at all. I never remove items from my community folder when updating and it updates fine.

Edited by Tuskin38

21 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

That's not a true at all. I never remove items from my community folder when updating and it updates fine.

Understand.  There does appear to be a difference in experiences here and we are struggling to find a common denominator. Is it MSFS Store vs Steam?  Community folder?  How about default vs custom installation location?  Would seem Asobo would be all over this to determine the issue(s).  Now, for months, it continues to happen.  But to some of us and not to others.  And in my case it is not always.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

3 hours ago, fppilot said:

Understand.  There does appear to be a difference in experiences here and we are struggling to find a common denominator. Is it MSFS Store vs Steam?  Community folder?  How about default vs custom installation location?  Would seem Asobo would be all over this to determine the issue(s).  Now, for months, it continues to happen.  But to some of us and not to others.  And in my case it is not always.

I used to have that problem, I don't know why it stopped for me. I never changed anything with my setup.

I thought it might have been because I modified core files and forgot to set them back, but there's people without modified core files getting the issue.

Edited by Tuskin38