Sign in to follow this  
Soulflight

Any way to identify the addon that crashes my sim?

So here i am with FS2020 finally successfully installed and actually dedicating some time to setting it up.
I installed some 20 addons, mostly airport scenery and boom: MSFS crashes at startup in the loading screen when showing the PC-6 picture at around 80% of the blue bar, 0x00000c5.
In safe mode it runs normal. It is obvious one of the addons is causing the issue.

Now I wonder if there is any way to identify the faulty addon without spending hours with trial and error. Any logfile or console or something like that?

6 minutes ago, Soulflight said:

So here i am with FS2020 finally successfully installed and actually dedicating some time to setting it up.
I installed some 20 addons, mostly airport scenery and boom: MSFS crashes at startup in the loading screen when showing the PC-6 picture at around 80% of the blue bar, 0x00000c5.
In safe mode it runs normal. It is obvious one of the addons is causing the issue.

Now I wonder if there is any way to identify the faulty addon without spending hours with trial and error. Any logfile or console or something like that?

Remove all add ons, see if it crashes. If it doesn't, load 1/2 of the add ons at a time, and you can easily pin down the trouble maker.

• Like 4

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Quickest way is to remove half of them and figure which half is causing issue. Rinse and repeat. With 20 addons you will have pretty quickly

Edited by mobeans10
  • Like 1

Just now, mobeans10 said:

Quickest way is to remove half of them and figure which half is causing issue. Rinse and repeat. With 20 addons you will have it with 4 runs.

I thought I just posted that? 😉

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

3 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I thought I just posted that? 😉

I know. I took so long to edit mine that I missed yours 😁

• Like 1

Got it aleady.

May the universe help me if this ever reaches the dimensions my FSX install has with some 400 scenery additions. 🥵

5 minutes ago, Soulflight said:

Got it aleady.

Out of curiosity, what was it?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, DylanM said:

Out of curiosity, what was it?

Some russian airports i got from avsim.su. Not a priority now. 😁

Overall the sim seems to be running more stable, with less conflicts and fewer tweaks required than FSX was at its 2006 release.

Edited by Soulflight
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Soulflight said:

May the universe help me if this ever reaches the dimensions my FSX install has with some 400 scenery additions.

I highly recommend that you install the Addons Linker (https://flightsim.to/file/1572/msfs-addons-linker) to manage your addons.

I currently have 501 addons installed, 464 of which are active. Using the linker, I can turn on or off addons in a matter of a minute or two. Has all sorts of great features. One of the best (and it's main reason for being) is that you can organize your addons in a subfolder hierarchy. As you may know, addon folders in the Community folder can't be in subfolders.

...jim

• Like 5

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

As already stated start by removing half, but in my experience liveries are the no1 cause - so if you have any of them I’d remove first - or with the first 50%

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir

1 hour ago, JimBrown said:

I highly recommend that you install the Addons Linker (https://flightsim.to/file/1572/msfs-addons-linker) to manage your addons.

My MSFS would not anymore start up within the remaining time of my life without it. Yes, I tried once.😉

Plus, it has a map showing you all your scenery addons, which feature was added later and may not be generally known.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 3

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

4 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

Remove all add ons, see if it crashes. If it doesn't, load 1/2 of the add ons at a time, and you can easily pin down the trouble maker.

The good ole binary search technique!  🙂

8 minutes ago, ark said:

The good ole binary search technique!  🙂

Part of the Technical training classes I taught for around 25 years. 

I always wonder how Poirot has decided which one is the rogue and which ones are clean. He starts by saying "I suppose you are all wondering why I have called you all here together in the master's library". "One of you is the killer and Poirot he knows". And soon we learn how it should have been obvious to everyone.

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Use the addon on linker and install 3 mods at a time.

Edited by MSFLYER5856

5 MHz 8087 IBM Clone, 640k RAM, 10 MB HD, Hercules 64k Graphics card, 14 in Monochrome Monitor, CH Products Mach-1 Joy Stick.