Sign in to follow this  
PebbleBeach

Help - FS9 Blurries Under Certain Conditions

Hello all,

I have a weird problem that pops up from time to time.

Common Denominator: Always involves freeware, 3rd party airports. Never occurs in any payware sceneries.
The problem: Scenery becomes blurred out.

I most recently downloaded Gary Widup's Casper, Wyoming airport scenery (cpr2007.zip). As I fly within close proximity to the airport, all scenery becomes very blurry. Not only the airport, but everything. The ground, in total, becomes blurry. This includes default ground textures, autogen, etc. surrounding the airport.

But only if the airport scenery is located somewhere within the view area of the screen. For example, if you were to bank and the airport leaves the screen, the scenery returns to normal. So it is without doubt caused by something in the airport coding.

This is not the only airport that I've incurred this issue. A few years ago, I downloaded and installed airport scenery for Reno, Nevada. Same problem there. And there have been others as well. It always involves freeware, 3rd party airports.

Again, the conditions wherein this happens is:

1. Close proximity to the airport. i.e. 10 miles or so.
2. Occurs only if the airport is somewhere within the viewable area of the monitor.

I would be grateful to anyone that possesses knowledge on the causation of this issue.

Mitch

Hi Mitch,

it is said, that in most cases for such kind of blurries the reason can be mixed mip- and non-mipped textures in the visuable scenery.at the same time. I recommand the "Mipmap Manager" from Don Grovestine that you can find here (click) to set mips into the textures.

Hope it solves your problem

Good luck

Dedl

Edited by Dedl

28 minutes ago, Dedl said:

Hi Mitch,

it is said, that in most cases for such kind of blurries the reason can be mixed mip- and non-mipped textures in the visuable scenery.at the same time. I recommand the "Mipmap Manager" from Don Grovestine that you can find here (click) to set mips into the textures.

Good luck

Dedl

Exactly as above, also excessively large (highly detailed) textures can simply overload the graphics system, causing it to reduce resolution to "fit everything in".

I've had success by examining the textures involved and simply re-scaling any very big ones to a size or two smaller. Yes, this will result in loss of fine detail, but you're only likely to notice this (if at all) when moving around the scenery at close range and slow speed. the "flying experience" is certainly improved … it is a "flight simulator" after all ;)

21 hours ago, Dedl said:

Hi Mitch,

Good luck

Dedl

Dedl, Chris,

You guys thank you so very much. THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT IT WAS!!!! All better now. 

It's amazing the knowledge that exists in these forums. Both of you thank you again.

Mitch

6 hours ago, PebbleBeach said:

KRNO for FS9 - freeware

That sounds like a sweet symphony in my ears...

Dedl