Sign in to follow this  
Datalink

Laptop turning off

Over the last 3 nights, i have noticed that while just having 1 or 2 internet explorer windows open, that my CPU usage is running increasing closer to 100%. All of a sudden my system then switches off. Is this normal or do I have some problem here?Thank you

Alaister Kay

Guest StevenJLN

>Over the last 3 nights, i have noticed that while just having>1 or 2 internet explorer windows open, that my CPU usage is>running increasing closer to 100%. All of a sudden my system>then switches off. Is this normal or do I have some problem>here?>>Thank you>>Could be a host of things.Do the usual virus scans and adaware searches and see what comes up.If ie is the culprate switch to Mozilla Firefox which is IMHO a better browser.It also could be an overheating problem (I had similar problems with FS on my laptop) which can be solved with a laptop cooler.Hope this helps.

Similar sort of thing happened to me recently. Turned out to be that enough dust and general gunge had built up to impair the cooling fan enough for it to overheat under high loading. A good few squirts with a compressed air can sorted it out though.

Guest ThrottleUp

1. Follow the fellow Avsimmers advice and check for adware, spyware & viruses.2. Make sure all vents are clear and not obstructed3. Use the laptop on a table (this may sound silly but my cousin was using his Sony Vaio while lying on the bed and of course all its vents were on the underside and it got so hot and shut down!)4. Is the fan working at all?5. If you are confident you might want to open it up and use compressed air, check first that you wont break anything or invalidate any warranties!6. Cheap solution: buy a small (7-inch) table fan and point it at your laptop vents when gaming.Good luck :)

Thanks folks No sign of any spy/mal-ware, so i guess its just getting too hot. Probably a load of dust inside too, so i'll look into cleaning the internals now :)thanks again :)

Alaister Kay