Sign in to follow this  
tup61

@FBW and Fenix: is a phone number really necessary?!?

Hi there FBW and Fenix people. Even though I am not a fan of Discord I'd like to get access to it because it seems for both of you the Discord channel is the official way to get in touch. However, for some odd reason you require a mobile phone number to be added for verification. Is that REALLY necessary...? Can't you opt for a lower security level? For personal reasons I cannot share my phone number and so I can't get in touch officially. Hence this topic on AVSIM (which obviously is totally OT but the only way I can get in touch because I also don't do Facebook, Twitter and all that other word not allowed). I hope you might reconsider making that phone number mandatory. TIA.

• Like 10
  • Upvote 6

It's really the only way to reduce the amount of scams/phishing links on discord. Mods would be drowning without it.

31 minutes ago, tup61 said:

Hi there FBW and Fenix people. Even though I am not a fan of Discord I'd like to get access to it because it seems for both of you the Discord channel is the official way to get in touch. However, for some odd reason you require a mobile phone number to be added for verification. Is that REALLY necessary...? Can't you opt for a lower security level? For personal reasons I cannot share my phone number and so I can't get in touch officially. Hence this topic on AVSIM (which obviously is totally OT but the only way I can get in touch because I also don't do Facebook, Twitter and all that other word not allowed). I hope you might reconsider making that phone number mandatory. TIA.

Yes , have you seen their discord lately. Surely Vatsim needs to step up too.

41 minutes ago, tup61 said:

I would stand on the same side and respect similar thoughts.  

I enjoyed talking in the Fenix discord prior to the security update, but the update was absolutely needed. A lot of trouble came from the added anonymity.

Like with all things, a small number of hooligans ruined things for the rest of us.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Take-offs are optional, landings are mandatory.
The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.
To make a small fortune in aviation you must start with a large fortune.

There's nothing less important than the runway behind you and the altitude above you.
It's better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishing you were on the ground.

Just now, WestAir said:

Like with all things, a small number of hooligans ruined things for the rest of us.

Yeah, ain't that the truth. Well, that's a shame then. (I wonder how other channels survive without this then...!)

I think this was a change last year and is recommended by Discord -  not by us.

FlyByWire Simulations

31 minutes ago, Watsi said:

not by us

Your team is doing a fantastic job with this A320 (and more...!), as mentioned by the OP, it is indeed a real pity that those of us not linked to any "social" networks, or unwilling to share their phone number with Discord, cannot have a proper dialog with you. Anyway, we are grateful that you so willingly and regularly share the news with the AVSIM crowd about the latest and so many innovations you come up with.

Thank you.

• Like 5

Bernard

CPU = 12900K / GPU = Nvidia 3090 VRAM 24 GB / RAM = 64 GB / SSD = 2 TB 980 PRO PCle 4.0 NVMe™ M.2, 

5 minutes ago, bvdboomen said:

Discord is way too fast and chaotic for me. You will never see me there. I guess it's an age thing.

It's supposed to be a chat client, it's ideal for a small group of friends gaming together online.

Not sure what the obsession is with every product/software/streamer/youtuber having one, because as you say it's not a good resource for information like a forum. Just becomes a mess of people asking the same questions over and over or having arguments.

• Like 18
  • Upvote 4

Currently circumnavigating the world in a mix of Cessna and Piper aircraft. 

My Default Setup; MSFS, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster Hotas X, TrackIR, Samsung Galaxy Tab, JustFlight Piper Arrow. Simworks Quest Kodiak 100. 

Wishlist; Honeycomb Bravo, Honeycomb Charlie.

1:400 Airline Model Collector.

Just now, Rudiii said:

Just becomes a mess of people asking the same questions over and over or having arguments.

Well, in that way it's pretty much the same as a forum.

Discord to me is like phone lines in a Favela to a linemanspacer.png

Edited by MSFLYER5856
  • Like 14
  • Upvote 1

5 MHz 8087 IBM Clone, 640k RAM, 10 MB HD, Hercules 64k Graphics card, 14 in Monochrome Monitor, CH Products Mach-1 Joy Stick.

7 minutes ago, gdjak said:

To be fair, it sounds like the entire internet haha.

I still find the structure of a forum makes it easier to find the information you require, compared to Discord.

• Like 5

Currently circumnavigating the world in a mix of Cessna and Piper aircraft. 

My Default Setup; MSFS, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster Hotas X, TrackIR, Samsung Galaxy Tab, JustFlight Piper Arrow. Simworks Quest Kodiak 100. 

Wishlist; Honeycomb Bravo, Honeycomb Charlie.

1:400 Airline Model Collector.

52 minutes ago, gdjak said:

True, of course LOL 😉 But on a forum it's very easy to skip certain topics and usually (though not always  😉 ) related posts are grouped together very conveniently. Discord is more or less ONE TOPIC with EVERYTHING in it.

Imagine this Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) forum being one topic with (currently) 322,137 posts in it... I doubt if anyone would prefer that over the current state of affairs. 😉

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Discord attracts a large audience so it must have some usefulness for many. 

Not for me and I do not get products having only Discord as a support media. Not a philosophy, just that I like the minimum of order and moderation that Discord cannot offer. Usenet is a little passé 😁...

A pity that a lot of newcomers in the business have not rather requested a sub-forum at Avsim instead of going Discord.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam