Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Turns out you CAN toggle the Taxi Ribbon ON/OFF in-flight

Can't believe I just saw this and I have no idea when it first appeared, but it absolutely works whether you are taxiing to your departure threshold or arrival gate, and it's very simple and right where you would think it should be!  It implies there is no longer a need to stop the sim and go the Assistance menu to turn on the taxi ribbon under Navigation Aids.

Here's where it's done.  The only slightly unfortunate part, and I say slightly because you can avoid it, is they linked the Taxi Guide (aka, Taxi Ribbon) with the Landing Guide in the on/off slider, rather than separating them into two slider switches.  The work around isn't hard, you simply do not toggle this ON until after touchdown so you don't have to look at the heinous landing guide while landing.  I have been wanting a toggle solution day one and as I was about to post a WishList that the Flight Assistant drop down off the Toolbar be the place to add a toggle and what do you know it's already there. 

Also, someone has made a set of more subtle ribbon arrows in green and you can pick it up here if desired. He has also removed the heinous giant block gate corral:  https://flightsim.to/file/18448/subtle-taxi-ribbon-1-18-14-0-compatible

spacer.png

Cheers

• Like 7

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I don't believe this until I've seen it myself. Will try it tonight. Thanks a lot, @Noel, for the headup.

Kind regards, Michael

• Like 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Indeed a very nice find, thanks!

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Of Note:  you may need to turn off these manually first in the Assistance menu, but not sure.

Cheers

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Wish you can bind this to a key.

• Like 4

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

5 minutes ago, captain420 said:

Along with toggling the external HUD or POI markers. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, captain420 said:

Some clever sould might invent this one day. There are a lot of them around here. Perhaps this could be requested on the flightsim.to page?

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Of Note:  you may need to turn off these manually first in the Assistance menu, but not sure.

Cheers

I always have the options "Display Directions" and "Landing & Taxi Guides" turned OFF in the toolbar. Is there another place where those need to be previously activated?.

Edited by edpatino

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Can't believe I just saw this and I have no idea when it first appeared, but it absolutely works whether you are taxiing to your departure threshold or arrival gate, and it's very simple and right where you would think it should be!  It implies there is no longer a need to stop the sim and go the Assistance menu to turn on the taxi ribbon under Navigation Aids.

I'm pretty sure (will need to double check) that this is only available IF you have both a departure AND a destination airport selected on the world map. For me, flying the FBW A320 with Simbrief/MCDU integration (ie; I only select a departure airport on the world map) this option is grayed out and not selectable. So, I have the taxi ribbon turned on all the time, but I do use subtle green ribbon arrows.

...jim

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

39 minutes ago, JimBrown said:

I'm pretty sure (will need to double check) that this is only available IF you have both a departure AND a destination airport selected on the world map. For me, flying the FBW A320 with Simbrief/MCDU integration (ie; I only select a departure airport on the world map) this option is grayed out and not selectable. So, I have the taxi ribbon turned on all the time, but I do use subtle green ribbon arrows.

...jim

Fortunately for the 787X HD mod you can use the World Map for flight planning and it works great.  That's unfortunate re the FBW A320 in this regard.

Noel

1 hour ago, edpatino said:

I always have the options "Display Directions" and "Landing & Taxi Guides" turned OFF in the toolbar. Is there another place where those need to be previously activated?.

Me too, until I learned about this.  I don't think the previously activated comes into play on this--but if you're using the ribbon, you used it via Options > Assistance Options > Navigation Aid > Taxi Ribbon on or off.  As stated upon arrival you can turn it ON after you've touched down in order to avoid seeing the Landing Guide, yet see the Taxi Ribbon.  At TO you can just turn it ON or OFF any time depending on your preference.

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

Noel

2 hours ago, Noel said:

It implies there is no longer a need to stop the sim and go the Assistance menu to turn on the taxi ribbon under Navigation Aids.

Thanks for sharing. I never normally use the Flight Assistant so I wouldn't have spotted this.

2 hours ago, captain420 said:

1 hour ago, pmb said:

Some clever soul might invent this one day. There are a lot of them around here. Perhaps this could be requested on the flightsim.to page?

Hopefully, if not then at least be able to add it to the toolbar like the pushback mod. Perhaps even that derv could add it to that mod.🤞

42 minutes ago, JimBrown said:

I'm pretty sure (will need to double check) that this is only available IF you have both a departure AND a destination airport selected on the world map.

Just guessing here but maybe that's because the sim needs to know your destination in advance to enable the landing guide. If so, that may be the case for the taxi ribbon too, but until they are separated, we'll possibly never know. The mini taxi ribbons are a must have in my opinion.

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

1 hour ago, JimBrown said:

So, I have the taxi ribbon turned on all the time, but I do use subtle green ribbon arrows.

Jim, I wasn't clear where the install of that is supposed to go.  It said something about OneStore, but not the Community folder.  I didn't know we had other spots to install addons.

Noel