Sign in to follow this  
Zimmerbz

Snow

I don't recall this happening this time last year because I don't think snow was implemented unless it was currently snowing in live weather.  I flew out of KMSP (default) and KEGE and KDTW the day before and the airport ground was completely white everywhere.  It was very difficult to see the taxiways and even the runway .  Is this a new feature that doesn't look right?  It basically looked like white cement.  Once airborne the snow looked good, but on the ground it didn't even look like snow.  I don't recall seeing that at any payware airports.  Anyone else getting this?

• Like 1

Intel Core i7 12700K (5.0GHz Max Boost Clock) 12-Core CPU   32GB G.Skill Performance DDR4 SDRAM 3600MHz       Graphics Processor:12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080 Ti, GDDR6x System   2TB Western Digital, NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive

Yes, although I think it's quite overdone but that's me just being picky. I mean when flying above it looks like a blizzard just came through the area - roads covered in snow, basically everything - and yes runways too.

I think if it is currently snowing that's fine to have EVRERYTHING covered in snow, as plows or the sun cannot melt that snow on the streets that fast. But if it is not snowing AND there is snow cover in the area detected, I wonder if Asobo could remove snow from the ROADS and the RUNWAYS/Taxiways? Again me being picky, and this is definitely something minor IMO compared to what needs to be done in other areas of the sim.

Edited by KERNEL32
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Zimmerbz said:

Anyone else getting this?

It might depend on the ground texture but as far as I remember it‘s been like that since the implementation of snow, also at some payware airports (eg KDCA). I agree, snow-covered roads and taxiways (and frozen rivers and lakes for that matter) don‘t look very convincing. I‘d rather have snowless roads personally.

• Like 1

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

Contrary to what is being said in this thread, I like the fact that a least we have a simulator that does not require third party software to depict snow, too much or too little is fine with me, I'm sure it will be tweaked down the road.

Edited by CarlosF
  • Like 4

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

11 minutes ago, CarlosF said:

I'm sure it will be tweaked down the road

Probably in the seasons update. I‘m not complaining. For a first iteration it‘s certainly good, and I‘m glad I don‘t need any addons for this too. 

• Like 1

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

For me It depends strongly on the airports how the snow areas are depicted. What I find more irritating is the glaring whiteness of photogrammitry buildings of some cities.

• Like 1

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

25 minutes ago, FlightSimToday said:

I departed KSYR the other night in the snow. I was not even on the taxiway at first.

Yeah, so overdone you can’t taxi without a moving-map GPS. 

• Like 1

Eddie
KABQ

Will get better over time I hope.  This was over the weekend just north of Lafayette, Indiana, with a heading of 172°.  That is not an ocean ahead.  It is an abrupt end to the snow cover.  Past that line the terrain was as green as mid-Spring.

image.png.977d346b4854fdd4f4d58c5d6fcfe800.png

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I've arrived Bergen yesterday for the first time in MSFS and I couldn't see any TWY lines and RWY boundardies as it was just a plain white surface.
This really needs to be adressed by Asobo, because it makes flying in winter conditions almost impossible.

Flying at night is also not possible atm due to floating and disappearing RWY and TWY lights, so I can only use MSFS in non-freezing and daytime conditions and this sucks!

FlyTampa had really good winter textures back in P3D and I'd be perfectly happy if MSFS would use just very slight winter texturing.

In real life, if there's snowfall, snow is removed from all surfaces asap and if I had to guess, NA or EU airline pilots encounter RWYs covered in thick snow like it is in MSFS just a few times every winter, so... 🤷‍♀️

This is KORD in the USA by FSDreamTeam. These snow textures are done by the developers themselves I guess?

spacer.png

Edited by MrBitstFlyer
  • Like 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

2 hours ago, fppilot said:

It is an abrupt end to the snow cover.  Past that line the terrain was as green as mid-Spring.

That is pretty abrupt.  I have seen some cases where the snow gradually gets thinner/more shallow before going totally green but it probably comes down to the data?

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

I dont fly to places that North because of this. The taxiways and ramps are all white. The scenery, buildings and roads are all white. It just looks bad to me. For some reason the jaggies appear worse and the scenery looks FSX like in quality. Like many effects it's way over done. Outside of the snow areas it looks fab!

Edited by sanh

15 minutes ago, regis9 said:

That is pretty abrupt.  I have seen some cases where the snow gradually gets thinner/more shallow before going totally green but it probably comes down to the data?

Or the implementation.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

For default airports the snow cover on movement areas is based on the color of the surface.  Darker runways have less snow and whiter runways have all the snow.  

Obviously at big airports the runways will be plowed even during a storm, but at smaller uncontrolled airports it's common to not see a runway cleared for a few days after a storm (at least up here in the Midwest).

Hopefully they can model this someday - or just clear all snow off works for me.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |