Sign in to follow this  
YouDontKnow

Snow cover in your location? Working?

Is the snow cover working? On Etna Vulcano (Sicily, Italy) not at all!!!

Never worked, even with 1m of snow. even though meteoblue is showing the snow on the soil.

Here the state:

spacer.png

This morning:spacer.png

It's working where I live but we have no mountains haha.  It's almost all flat land.

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Depends on your location.  I've posted this is two other threads but is a good response here as well.  This is I believe from this past Saturday, about 20 NM north of Lafayette, Indiana, USA.  That is not an ocean out ahead.  It is the end of the MSFS rendered snow coverage.  Pretty abrupt.  The terrain on the far side of the snow was springtime green.  I had left Madison, Wisconsin, and there it was pretty realistic.  Actual real world condition at my destination of Bloomington, Indiana, another 50 nm south, was snow covered.  In MSFS it was instead as I said, like springtime.

image.png.977d346b4854fdd4f4d58c5d6fcfe800.png

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Snow cover worked beautifully this past week here in West Virginia, the "Mountain State."

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

46 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Depends on your location.  I've posted this is two other threads but is a good response here as well.  This is I believe from this past Saturday, about 20 NM north of Lafayette, Indiana, USA.  That is not an ocean out ahead.  It is the end of the MSFS rendered snow coverage.  Pretty abrupt.  The terrain on the far side of the snow was springtime green.  I had left Madison, Wisconsin, and there it was pretty realistic.  Actual real world condition at my destination of Bloomington, Indiana, another 50 nm south, was snow covered.  In MSFS it was instead as I said, like springtime.

image.png.977d346b4854fdd4f4d58c5d6fcfe800.png

Check this website to show you where real world snow coverage is:

Weather Maps | Live Satellite & Weather Radar - meteoblue

Asobo did well here to only have snow where it is present in the real world.  The only time it's not working is when the weather system is down like everyday around 6pm - 7:15pm.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

Flew in Alaska last week, snow was everywhere. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

1 hour ago, Dillon said:

Asobo did well here to only have snow where it is present in the real world.  The only time it's not working is when the weather system is down like everyday around 6pm - 7:15pm.

Again let me state that KBMG looked like springtime in MSFS 30 minutes after my screenshot and the real KBMG and the surrounding area and southward almost to the Indiana-Kentucky border.  I was flying in late morning, Indiana time (EST). I am not complaining or ranting.  Just reporting.  Accurate and documented.

I should also restate for the record that my recent aviation weather experience with MSFS default has been very good.  A vast improvement over the past 17 months.  Finally!

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 2

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

10 hours ago, Dillon said:

Despite the map from asobo in Sicily (Italy), it is not working. At all.

Meteoblue is correct. MSFS not.

spacer.png

Edited by YouDontKnow

I guess MSFS only uses the lowest possible resolution of this snow coverage map and on this, there is no snow on Sicilly. To me, snow coverage is one of the major drawbacks especially when flying in Switzerland (my country), as it is 90% of the time just plain wrong (not in winter though), here in Switzerland, it was already fully snow covered above 1000m (or 1500m) in late August, when temperatures were still above 20°C in such areas. Ridiculous. Even more ridiculous than the wrong snow coverage is the fact that MSFS depicts most lakes within a snow coverage region as fully frozen, so as of now, all lakes in the Alps are fully frozen, which is again just plain wrong. Honestly, as they HAVE the source data with the meteoblue snow coverage map (which is pretty accurate), the implementation in MSFS is just badly done. Just another thing on the endless list of features that are integrated in the sim, yes, but on such a lousy level that it would have been better without. End of rant...

And yes, I did open a ticket, and yes, there ARE plenty of threads in the official forums but obviously it is no priority at all. I wonder how those Asobo guys can be happy with their French lakes being frozen over in the Alps, they should at least know for those lakes how totally unrealistic this is...

• Like 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

It works for me in Sweden, I saw that the snow line went to the height of Gothenburg yesterday and it was realistic.

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

There is a snow problem in some parts of the world, sometimes it takes several minutes for the weather conditions to appear in the sim.
The differences are very real depending on the server region.
Last week I had CAVOK at KDEN while it was snowing, I had to wait more than 5 minutes before the cloud cover appeared. I tested several servers and there was a difference. 

Guillaume

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490 ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K OC 5.5 GHz▪︎  ZOTAC RTX 4090 Trinity OC ▪︎ 64GB Crucial Ballistix  ▪︎ Windows 11 Pro (23H2) ▪︎ 2x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive et MSFS) ▪︎ 3x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SATA SSD ▪︎  Corsair RMX 1000W 80 plus Gold PSU  ▪︎ LIAN-LI ODYSSEY X black case

11 hours ago, YouDontKnow said:

Despite the map from asobo in Sicily (Italy), it is not working. At all.

Meteoblue is correct. MSFS not.

spacer.png

I've read somewhere a while a go that MSFS also uses a lower limit of somthing like ~0.3m (don't know the exact value).

So there must be more than x cm snow before it shows up in MSFS.