Sign in to follow this  
fppilot

MSFS & Honeycomb Bravo trim wheel

46 minutes ago, fppilot said:

I can only get it to function as one button click or trim at a time.  Are you saying you are getting the realistic trim wheel function of continuous trim change with trim wheel rotation?  If I want 10° of trim adjustment I have to move the wheel 10 separate times.  That is just not how a trim wheel works.

Works well for me. Each turn of the wheel sends multiple “clicks” so a full spin would be a dramatic pitch change. Works much better for me than using an axis has in the past (issues with the trim axis syncing after AP use, etc.)

Eddie
KABQ

I switched back to my old Cessna Saitek trim wheel and all as has been well. They are hard to come by now, but that thing works exactly like a trim wheel should. I also have the Bravo, and Honeycomb did miss it with not making the trim wheel an axis controller. 

I would like to use the Bravo wheel since the other one crowds my already populated desk, but the precision I get from the Saitek is crazy. Go fast, it goes fast, go slow and you can fine tune. 

I wonder if the Flight Velocity Pro is like the old Saitek? Have not seen many who have that controller.

The Honeycomb trim wheel is a digital encoder rather than an analog control. It sends digital pulses…single button presses. That’s just the way the control works. I find it frustrating too as it works too slowly for larger trim changes but is still too imprecise for fine adjustments. 

Edited by snglecoil

Chris

1 hour ago, haskell said:

Works well for me.

Would you please share your assignment(s) for the Bravo trim wheel and sensitivity settings if those apply?  That is what I have been asking for.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

28 minutes ago, fppilot said:

Would you please share your assignment(s

Yes sir. When I get home I will screenshot it for you. 

• Like 1

Eddie
KABQ

47 minutes ago, haskell said:

Yes sir. When I get home I will screenshot it for you. 

Thank you!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Here's how I have it setup. It works OK. Could be a little quicker but I just spin more. LOL

The advantage of this is that it just mimics the buttons on the yoke. So you don't have an issue when coming off autopilot and your trim axis isn't reconciled with where the AP had it. If you have Axis and Ohs you can program each switch closure on the wheel to send multiple commands. For most planes about a 3 multiplier is perfect. 

spacer.png

Edited by haskell

Eddie
KABQ

2 hours ago, haskell said:

Here's how I have it setup. It works OK. Could be a little quicker but I just spin more. LOL

The advantage of this is that it just mimics the buttons on the yoke. So you don't have an issue when coming off autopilot and your trim axis isn't reconciled with where the AP had it. If you have Axis and Ohs you can program each switch closure on the wheel to send multiple commands. For most planes about a 3 multiplier is perfect. 

What you are describing is precisely the problem with making the wheel work as an "axis".  Unlike pitch, roll, throttle, rudder etc. there is no clear beginning and end point.  And even if you were to attempt to define one via the white band on the wheel, how would you reconcile the changes that the autopilot makes to your virtual trim setting.  Unless the wheel actually turned like a reel trim wheel would, it would be totally messed up once you moved it after the autopilot released.

What WOULD make sense IMHO, is a better handling of sensitivity - i.e. allowing the frequency of the input pulses effect how much it steps your virtual trim value based on how fast you are spinning the wheel.  If that could be tunable, it would allow you to make fine adjustments when you move it slowly, but then make more dramatic ones (like setting takeoff trim, etc) when you spin it.

Edited by VFXSimmer
  • Upvote 1

The Kodiak has a nice stripe that you see in the cockpit, so you can tell trim setting. 

I use AirManager, and with it all 3 axis of trim are shown. It also shows flap position if you load those "instruments".

The trim wheel on the Bravo has worked as what it it a digital encoder since day one w/o any problems for me at least.

Pit.jpg

Com GA Pilot, Retired • MSFS 2020 • Gigabyte 8th gen lga1151 motherboard z2370 hd3, i5 8600 8th gen 4.3ghz, Thermaltake 750w power supply, 4 x 8gb ddr4 dimm, MSI force GTO 1070 8gb ddr5, 4 SSD's • 4K main display with 3 HD displays, one is a touch screen. Often used as 3 1080P NVIDEA surround screens and one HD touchscreen for AirManager

I'll just jump in here and say the trim wheel on the Logitech Mutipanel is an encoder that provides continuous trimming, no matter how many turns you move the wheel up or down. You can turn the wheel 50 spins in one direction, if you wanted to do that.To go the full range of max up to max down probably does take about a 50 wheel cranks. In other words when you see videos of pilots in old planes reach down and spin the trim wheel round and round many times to set the trim, it's just like what I do with the logitech mutiplanel trim wheel.

If you don't like such a fine tuning trim you can just re-program the multi panel with Lorby AAO or SpadNext so that the little used mechanical metal toggle switch labeled 'Auto Throttle' becomes a trim wheel speed shift instead of an auto throttle. Flip that toggle left or right and the trim wheel becomes a low speed fine tune, or a fast speed coarse trim.

If you don't have the multi panel, then you can still use AAO or SpadNext to make whatever axis you use for trimming have more than one speed. Speed set toggle is set by any keyboard key or controller button.

I don't have the Bravo, but if it's trim is button controlled instead of an axis, then it is junk by comparison with a real trim control.

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Or you can try this. On the Bravo unless you are flying a 3 or 4 engine craft, you can actually assign the trim to one of the axis controls. While not perfect and you need to remember to put it in the middle when you start, but it gives very precise or very fast trim by moving the axis up and down. 

It not intuitive and a little unnatural feeling, but it does work, much better than the Bravo trim wheel. I found that single engines are the best for this type of trim since it can really be too much movement for a jet. 

I still prefer my Saitek trim wheel though for feel.

The last update totally killed my Bravo trim wheel functions. 

I checked out all the mappings. finally logged completely out of FS and logged back in. This, for some reason, caused an immediate CTD. After restarting, I discovered that all my control settings had been reset to “Easy” but, miracle of miracles, I have my trim wheel function back!

My suggestion, to anyone experiencing a dysfunctional trim wheel is this: Log out, log in, go to controls and see if they’ve reset to 'easy." Go through your controls and set them all to “Default.” Close and restart the sim. Yes, t was a pain to redo a bunch of settings but it was worth it to get the wheel functioning again.

Caution: While this worked for me, your mileage may vary. Attempt this option at your own risk.

Cheers! 

On 1/11/2022 at 7:07 PM, fppilot said:

It is just a slipover cover that provides a different feel that some believe is a more realistic feel.
https://www.pilotshop.com/catalog/pspages/honeycomb_13-23859.php

The same provider also designed a snap-in underside piece for the flaps lever tab.  Gives it a better feel as well.  Feels hollow without.

If you have a 3d printer, Thingiverse.com has those two items and several more for the Honeycomb throttle. Just search on 'honeycomb throttle'.

i9-12900K | Asus ROG Strix Z690-F Gaming | RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR5 | Win 10 Pro | Acer Predator UltraWide 3440x1440 (G-Sync)

My solution...I use the trim switch on the YOKE for large adjustments and the Bravo wheel for minor ones....works like a charm!

Jay

21 hours ago, haskell said:

. If you have Axis and Ohs you can program each switch closure on the wheel to send multiple commands. For most planes about a 3 multiplier is perfect. 

Yes. I removed all axis assignments for everything in MSFS Controls. Ailerons rudder throttle, rudder trim, elev trim, everything.

And then I assign all axis with Axis and Ohs. Everything works better that way. And every plane automatically gets it's own profile when you fly that plane. Especially nice for making a two speed rudder trim to keep on a heading for long periods without needing an autopilot.

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.