Sign in to follow this  
cianpars

MSFS completely wiped

Now have a 1 TB empty drive.  Mandatory update today completely deleted msfs and 150 of my addons 

People having the same issue on the main site.  Seems to have something to do with installing the beta update. There was apparently a warning that a lot of us did not get.

The servers are really going to be caned tonight and I'm going to have to spend weeks resetting everything and rebuilding my community folder.

Thanks Microsoft !

Edited by cianpars
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

You may want to read here

Basically I wasn't careful with beta and went through the same thing

• Upvote 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

Is this different to the update they did last week that wiped a few folks installations (big thread on that one), or is this a new surprise for everyone?

I had an update last week and todays is a new one.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

3 minutes ago, sd_flyer said:

You may want to read here

Basically I wasn't careful with beta and went through the same thing

Don't know how I missed that. I won't be installing any beta updates again.

I almost got bit by that but I changed my installer to point at my current install location and the it only installed a few files and didn't delete everything whew.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

38 minutes ago, cianpars said:

I'm going to have to spend weeks resetting everything and rebuilding my community folder.

You know I needed to do an uninstall and complete resinstall, and while it takes hours to download the primary 130Gb install, I don't get the 'weeks' since all purchases thru the store are still there, you checkmark them all, walk away and in they go.  Next, all downloaded addons to the Community folder are in my Win10 Downloads folder, so it's a simple copy/paste and we're done there as well.  I do also have the Simple Traffic and Navigraph applets so will need to use those but as I say besides the time involved there isn't a whole lot of custom install and setup to do, unlike what happens w/ P3D.  I just a moment ago discovered I'll be joining you and the big install is downloading right now.  I will look at it in a few hours and see how it's going. 

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Steam user here. Looks like steam automatically removed me from the beta when it closed, so no major issues as yet. 

Helped me out a bit, confused!

I have the steam version, updated last week. I am also from the states, is this another update ? Was just on it no mention of an update

That stinks wiped out!!!

Edited by Sunshine13

10700kf, 3080 nividia, 32gbs 3400mhz, 1,000 watts power, M.2 DVMe !tb, boot, 1tb 7200rpm, storage, windows 10 home

I don't think there is another update. This is from the mess last week. If you updated last week and all is well..then all is well. Until the next time..

This has to be the worst I've seen it.  Went through so much with every update with various things broken but now having to reinstall the whole sim is unbelievable.  Luckily, I backed up my community folder..

• Like 1

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

If you didn't opt out of the beta, it does it for you automatically today I think.  You are coming out whether you like it or not! 

I had a small automatic update over the beta and I thought I was done, but when I went into the xbox app a few days later to check, it was still on the beta.  I told it I wanted to leave, then I had a few problems!  :sad:

It tried to do a completely new install on my C drive, but luckily I stopped the installation when I noticed this (I thought I was saying yes to just an update until I spotted it :rolleyes:), then I pointed it at my F drive, where my installation was, and it kind of verified the files and accepted them.

Did I escape without any damage?  NO!  It replaced a lot of my config files anyway.  When I got into the sim, my settings were different.  All my custom camera positions for individual aircraft were gone, and the user config file was new.

I tried recovering them with a program called Recuva.  It found them, but said it couldn't recover them as they were encrypted - Strange!  I could edit my user config easily, so not sure why it should be encrypted at the stage.
I found out all of these important files are stored in a 'WpSystem' folder with a really long file path.  I must back them up next time before I agree to opt in to anything else.

Anyway, I managed to remember all of my user config adjustments to shadows and LOD etc., and I am gradually resetting my custom cameras as I go.

No matter what they said about the beta, mine was a non-standard installation, and it still messed me up. 
This, and the general update process need to be looked at - its's not right, they need to sort it.  Look at the criticism they will be facing now. 
It should be obvious what they need to do.  I have never known a program like it for updates. 

Edited by bobcat999

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

I just uninstalled the sim and reinstalled it with the same problem.  It's looking for an update from the store that isn't there.  This tops the list of craziness from Asobo.  They out did themselves here...😣

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

I am so glad I stayed away from the beta. It sounded like an accident going someplace to happen when I first heard about it. 

• Like 6
  • Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS