Sign in to follow this  
Los

Back since March 2021

So I took a 9 month break from FS2020 to see how things matured.

I reinstalled FS2004 with all add ons on a laptop and flew that while watching TV in the living room instead of the larger rig required by FS2020 in the guest room.

So after an update parade longer than the initial install it seems, lots has changed and yet nothing has, so it seems…

As a quick catch up what is the most significant/meaningful change(s) to be aware of in FS2020 and what’s still the same as 9 months ago?

Why not try it and see for yourself.

• Like 7

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

Obviously, but then what is the purpose of a forum if not to discuss. 😁

We could all figure out everything written about here, eventually given time.

I don’t think it’s a bad question to ask and see what the community’s thoughts were, or is it?

I think people will have a hard time expressing how much has changed.

There has been a few mishaps and things that haven't gone to plan.

But we have everything from new features, better terrain data, new photogem, updated airports, fixes, new planes, support for new game modes. It has come on a long way in many ways.

Ensure you grab the extra packages through the Content Manager for the new planes and places.

Edited by Rudiii
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Currently circumnavigating the world in a mix of Cessna and Piper aircraft. 

My Default Setup; MSFS, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster Hotas X, TrackIR, Samsung Galaxy Tab, JustFlight Piper Arrow. Simworks Quest Kodiak 100. 

Wishlist; Honeycomb Bravo, Honeycomb Charlie.

1:400 Airline Model Collector.

In short; VR has gone backwards, the weather in certain situations has gone backwards, some little things are better, it's still fun to fly about, there's plenty of decent new content out there to be found.

Good luck.

• Like 3

HP Reverb G2 - Windows 11 64bit, Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Elite Mobo, i7-10700KF CPU, Gigabyte 3070ti GPU, 32gig Corsair 3600mhz RAM, SSD x2 + M.2 SSD 1tb x1

Saitek X45 HOTAS - Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals - Logitech Flight Yoke - Homemade 3 Button & 8-directional Joystick Box, SNES Controller (used as a Button Box - Additional USB Numpad (used as a Button Box)

And Aircraft development has increased a lot, with some real gems available. I just cannot see (And it follows a similar pattern) how someone after spending $$$ on a game/Sim call it whatever, does not know what state it's in.

You will get a load moaning, and  some are never happy, the latest is either " The Weather" or " The Clouds" to the " Trees are too high "  How they endured the scenary etc in the likes of XPlane that looks mickey mouse graphically, or even worse P3D beats me .

Edited by Car147

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

It is much better, is that a suitable answer for you?

• Like 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

2 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

It is much better, is that a suitable answer for you?

I suppose!

At least not much has changed on Avsim.

During my time away from MSFS2020 I picked up the guitar and joined the Telecaster Discussion Group, I guess I shouldn’t have expected the same level camaraderie here… 

• Like 1

I think so. Both are hobbies after all… that are enjoyed by the forum members.

1 hour ago, Los said:

Both are hobbies after all… that are enjoyed by the forum members

The question is if the AVSIM forum members are actually enjoying their hobby. I sometimes get the idea they're not. The main hobby over here seems to be moaning about flightsimming.

Just kidding.

Well... sort of...

😉

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, tup61 said:

The question is if the AVSIM forum members are actually enjoying their hobby. I sometimes get the idea they're not.

I'm having fun.

sad-little-girl-picture-id1043216772?k=2

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Los said:

I reinstalled FS2004 with all add ons on a laptop and flew that while watching TV in the living room instead of the larger rig required by FS2020 in the guest room.

It's very stable, weather is improving, performance is vastly better, there are effective inexpensive 3rd party Realtime Air Traffic and Seasons addons now.  I can't imagine trading in MSFS for watching TV while flying FS2004 on a laptop and since you can it might be hard to address what floats your boat as it's clearly a very different boat than I'm in!

• Like 4

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

4 hours ago, Los said:

I suppose!

During my time away from MSFS2020 I picked up the guitar and joined the Telecaster Discussion Group, I guess I shouldn’t have expected the same level camaraderie here… 

I wouldn't expect too much here lol! Some folks probably don't leave the house much.

MSFS for the past few months has been two steps forward, one step back it seems. There have been several world updates and one or two decent aircraft. I get the feeling the sim (albeit stunning in many ways) is still finding its feet. Overall awesome when working, disappointing and frustrating when not. Everyone has their own experience and expectations. When the weather is more stable and we have a couple of bigger commuter aircraft I think we will be in much better shape (IMO).

Interested in your Tele. I have a few guitars myself.

Rich.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Los said:

I suppose!

Go to different subforums here and you will find some camaraderie.  But not in the MSFS forum at AVSIM.   Some people here (still) cannot discuss MSFS without dogging out other simulators.  Nothing changes.

The sim, yes, it is overall, better now.  If you're into avionics the G1000 NXi is free and available in Content Manager.  As was said there are quite a few more aircraft available now.  And I would agree with the earlier post in this thread, that some areas of the sim have gone backwards since the earlier days, but overall it's better.

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB