Sign in to follow this  
JimBrown

Would you use an inaccurate airport addon?

As I'm sure everyone already knows, the procedurally (or AI) generated airports sometimes leave a bit to be desired when it comes to taxiways and parking, especially now that several AI flight addons are available.

Case in point: MUHG, Holguin, Cuba/Frank Pais International Airport. Most of the taxiways do not have center lines. Only one taxiway is named. The parking is, to put it mildly, weird.

I chose to fly into this airport during my around the world tour because several years ago the better half and I went on our first Caribbean vacation at a resort north of that airport. I was somewhat disappointed when I got there in the sim.

So, just for fun, I fired up ADE for MSFS (alpha) and played around a bit, fixing up the taxiways and parking. But, not having any documentation, and only able to look at what Bing and Google maps show (which, incidentally, show why the airport is difficult to figure out) I ended up just taking logical guesses as to taxiway names and parking locations. It is much better than the default, but I'm sure is not true to the real thing.

My question is would it be worth packaging up and uploading it to Flightsim.to? Even though it may not be particularly accurate?

Thanks,

...jim

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

OF COURSE! Upload it already 🙂

The default airports are impressive compared to those in other sims, but true to life they are not. You have some knowledge of the airport and I am almost certain that whatever you created will be an improvement compared to the default scenery. 

There are a lot of airports for which accurate information is difficult to find. I have uploaded a lot of airports in Northern Canada to Flightsim.to, doing the best I can by consulting all kinds of satellite images, trying to find photos or videos, and using official information by NavCanada. Maybe you can find some charts for MUHG, they would help a lot to get approach lights correct.

Peter 

• Like 1

Absolutely.  There's lots of freeware authors who work on small airports that have limited real world info or even photos, so they make some assumptions and some common sense.  For airports in places like the Caribbean there can be really limited info.  Maybe a blurry satellite picture along with some runway info and a tower frequency. 

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

For sure…a basic clean up is better than pure default IMHO.  I’d just suggest noting in the description the scope of the work you did so people know what to expect before downloading.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Also, I have navigraph charts so I should be able to help give you information on taxiway names (without sharing the actual chart and breaking some rules there) if you would like.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

As long as the runways line up with the localizers.

5 MHz 8087 IBM Clone, 640k RAM, 10 MB HD, Hercules 64k Graphics card, 14 in Monochrome Monitor, CH Products Mach-1 Joy Stick.

I wouldn't see any problem with this as long as you were transparent in the description to avoid people expecting Third Party quality.

I have looked at the work someone did on my local airport, they spent some time tarting it up over default and I'd happily use it until a paid high quality choice comes along.

Currently circumnavigating the world in a mix of Cessna and Piper aircraft. 

My Default Setup; MSFS, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster Hotas X, TrackIR, Samsung Galaxy Tab, JustFlight Piper Arrow. Simworks Quest Kodiak 100. 

Wishlist; Honeycomb Bravo, Honeycomb Charlie.

1:400 Airline Model Collector.

Absolutly, every little helps!

Nvidia 4090 | AMD 5950X | 128GB DDR4 3200 | LG C1 48"
TCA Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Bravo | TPR Rudders | Stream Deck XL | Tobii 5

2 hours ago, JimBrown said:

As I'm sure everyone already knows, the procedurally (or AI) generated airports sometimes leave a bit to be desired when it comes to taxiways and parking, especially now that several AI flight addons are available.

Case in point: MUHG, Holguin, Cuba/Frank Pais International Airport. Most of the taxiways do not have center lines. Only one taxiway is named. The parking is, to put it mildly, weird.

I chose to fly into this airport during my around the world tour because several years ago the better half and I went on our first Caribbean vacation at a resort north of that airport. I was somewhat disappointed when I got there in the sim.

So, just for fun, I fired up ADE for MSFS (alpha) and played around a bit, fixing up the taxiways and parking. But, not having any documentation, and only able to look at what Bing and Google maps show (which, incidentally, show why the airport is difficult to figure out) I ended up just taking logical guesses as to taxiway names and parking locations. It is much better than the default, but I'm sure is not true to the real thing.

My question is would it be worth packaging up and uploading it to Flightsim.to? Even though it may not be particularly accurate?

Thanks,

...jim

Hi Jim,

I highly recommend to check https://www.airmate.aero/ - they have apps for Android and iOS, it's free, will give you a lot of information about airports worldwide incl. weather, NOTAMS, public domain charts if available. For MIL charts you have to pay. For MUHG you'll find the full set of charts.

All freely available charts can be downloaded and you even can connect the app to the sim.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=airmate+msfs+2020

• Like 1

Intel Core i7-11700F, mainboard MSI MPG B560I GAMING EDGE WIFI (MS-7D19), 32 GB DDR4 SDRAM, RTX3070, no OC for CPU, RAM or GPU, XMP off. MS Store version, default installation path on a 1 TB NVMe 4x 8 GT/s

17 minutes ago, Rudiii said:

I wouldn't see any problem with this as long as you were transparent in the description to avoid people expecting Third Party quality.

+12 (what he said)

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

4 hours ago, EDDB2020 said:

I highly recommend to check https://www.airmate.aero/

Loverly! Just what I have been looking for.

Thanks to all for the words of encouragement. With the charts I got from the above site, I can now do a fairly accurate rendition of the airport taxiways and parking.

No worries on the nav aids and comms, not touching those. I'm also NOT a "modeler" so the default buildings will have to do. I'm pretty much just doing taxiways and parking.

...jim

• Like 1

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

Absolutely. I'm of the opinion that if what you have done improves the visuals, accuracy, or just enhances the overall experience of using that airport, then by all means share it.

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440