Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

Z690 Cooler Compatibility.

Just a warning. Just because you have an Asus Z690 board with lengthened mounting holes on the motherboard so as to accommodate the new LGA 1700  and older LGA 1155/1200  cooler mounting brackets, don't be fooled into thinking your cooler is compatible.

The socket is a different height and thus the cooler may not have sufficient pressure.

For my Noctua, I ordered the relevant new mounting hardware.

• Upvote 1

I went with the MSI Meg S360 with a asus rog strix Z690-A DDR4 board.  Couldn't be happier.  If it helps anybody who stumbles upon this later 

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

I went the the Corsair H150i Elite LCD on my Maximus Hero. 100% compatible. 

14 hours ago, micstatic said:

I went with the MSI Meg S360 with a asus rog strix Z690-A DDR4 board

Did you order the LGA 1700 mounting kit. I don't believe you get one in the MEG 360 box.

6 hours ago, 6297J said:

I went the the Corsair H150i Elite LCD on my Maximus Hero. 100% compatible. 

Did it come with the mounting kit for LGA 1700?

I bet that Corsair Elite H150i is a nightmare to cable manage with the iCUE hub and all those fans. 😁

Edited by martin-w

24 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Did you order the LGA 1700 mounting kit. I don't believe you get one in the MEG 360 box.

that's incorrect.  They come 1700 ready right in the box. 

here is the link to the same one I got:    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09HR7DYXW?ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Edited by micstatic

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

43 minutes ago, micstatic said:

that's incorrect.  They come 1700 ready right in the box. 

Oh right. That great then.

Edit: Apparently its an Asetek cooler with an Asetek bracket. Asetek AIO's are compatible right out of the box. 

Edited by martin-w

23 minutes ago, martin-w said:

Oh right. That great then.

Edit: Apparently its an Asetek cooler with an Asetek bracket. Asetek AIO's are compatible right out of the box. 

still not sure what you mean.  in regards to mine

2 hours ago, martin-w said:

Did it come with the mounting kit for LGA 1700?

I bet that Corsair Elite H150i is a nightmare to cable manage with the iCUE hub and all those fans. 😁

Yes, came with options for everything. 

Yup, 10 fans in all 😀

10!!!  Spaghetti city in the back of your case. 😁

I'd like to see a photograph of that so I can mock you.

I'm so obsessed with cable management its bonkers. I literally spend days messing about with just the cables. 

To the extent of spending dosh on Cablemod custom cables. 

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 1

On 1/15/2022 at 3:34 PM, micstatic said:

still not sure what you mean.  in regards to mine

Some motherboards, for example Asus boards, simply elongate the holes to allow older coolers to fit and call it compatible with older coolers. The problem is that the socket is a different height which can impact cooler mounting pressure. Thus, not necessarily compatible.

The dodgy thing is, even some of the supplied LGA1700 mounting kits aren't allowing for the increased mounting pressure due to the Z-Stack height. And thus don't spread the TIM evenly across the cold plate. Apparently the Corsair H115 is one of them. 

I was just pointing out that with or  without the LGA 1700 mounting kit many Asetek brackets seem to be okay for mounting pressure. Your cooler is an Asetek design, so I'm thinking it's not an issue for you. If your temps are normal Its not a concern.

Some have even gone to the trouble of inserting plastic washers underneath the socket mounting screws to improve cooling due to this issue. 

Sorry for confusing you. 

The other cooler issue with Asus Z690 boards relates to mostly the Strix boards, in that large air coolers like the D15 don't fit. The shroud around the VRM's is so tall that it blocks the cooler. Does fit if you opt for a less efficient vertical orientation though. 

The Hero board and 12900K arrived today. Quite a shock when I felt the weight of the box. 😃 That Hyper M.2 card weighs a ton.

Our sources have provided us with a few pictures of how some older AIO coolers stack up with new designs. You can see that Corsair's H115 and Cooler Master's ML series designs don't spread the thermal paste evenly across the cold plate with the new LGA 1700 mounting kits. This may result in inferior performance versus newer designs that will offer the best support for Intel's 12th Gen CPU lineup. There's a reason why almost all motherboard manufacturers except ASUS have drilled LGA 1700 mounting holes in their 600-series boards while ASUS has given the option to mount the old LGA 1200 mounting brackets too. The LGA 1200 and older CPU cooler combo, once again, would be troublesome in terms of cooling performance on the newer chips.

https://wccftech.com/older-cpu-coolers-might-have-mounting-pressure-distribution-issues-with-intels-alder-lake-desktop-cpus/

Edited by martin-w

Sorry.  Misunderstood.  Yes, the cooling capability of my cooler is phenomenal.  Far exceeded my expectations.  And yes aware of the tight real estate on these boards.  I will say my cooler "just" fit.  Not much more room.  I had stressed prior after reading about people struggling to fit coolers.  To be honest, I'm not an air cooler fan mostly due to aesthetic reasons.  So I new the noctua issue wasn't going to be an issue for me.  thankfully.  But I'll tell you it's always a pro and con.  I looked at other brands, but those brought some cons I didn't want.  Either way all of this was moot for me.  As my first choice cooler fit and cools great.  I wish you the same luck with your new build!

1 hour ago, micstatic said:

As my first choice cooler fit and cools great.  I wish you the same luck with your new build!

It fits in theory, according to Noctua's website, I'll know for sure tomorrow. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, martin-w said:

It fits in theory, according to Noctua's website, I'll know for sure tomorrow. 

What CPU did you go with?