Sign in to follow this  
ark

GTN 750s Capabilities Clarification

It is not clear to me, from a pilot's use (capabilities) viewpoint, how the payware PMS GTN 750 and TDS GTN750Xi compare, and how these units differ capabilities wise to what the RXP GTN750 can do in P3D. I understand the PMS and TDS units are dealing with severe limitations imposed by MSFS, so I'm not criticizing them in any way, I just would like to get an understanding from users of these GTNs in MSFS of what does and does not currently work. I can then make some comparisons to the RXP P3D unit I am familiar with so I can make a more informed decision on what I want to do (e.g., purchase one of the GTNs for MSFS, or just wait for now and stay with the G1000NXi which works quite well, and eventually with the WT moded GNS 530.)

Thanks,

Al

Edited by ark

PMS unit works very well in MSFS.  Features are adequate and the unit can be operated in the cockpit view.

The TDS GTN unit is fully featured as it Uses the Garmin Trainer. It can be displayed in a panel if this app is installed https://flightsim.to/file/15543/vc-screen-integration-for-the-tds-gtn-750xi-650xi  There is no interaction with the panel, it is displayed only.  The TDS GTN window needs to be brought to the front to operate, then you will see the unit in the panel update.  I have the TDS GTN screen on an iPad so it is touchscreen.

• Upvote 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

10 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

PMS unit works very well in MSFS.  Features are adequate and the unit can be operated in the cockpit view.

The TDS GTN unit is fully featured as it Uses the Garmin Trainer. It can be displayed in a panel if this app is installed https://flightsim.to/file/15543/vc-screen-integration-for-the-tds-gtn-750xi-650xi  There is no interaction with the panel, it is displayed only.  The TDS GTN window needs to be brought to the front to operate, then you will see the unit in the panel update.  I have the TDS GTN screen on an iPad so it is touchscreen.

Good info, thanks. I did not realize the TDS used the Garmin Trainer. And if I understand you correctly, you can have it displayed on the a/c panel (using the app at the link above), but to operate it you need to pop it out onto a separate screen such as a tablet or second monitor.  Or, I suppose, you can just use it soley on a 2nd screen without using the app above, but it will still drive the autopilot, etc.

Hope I have that correct.

Thanks again, very helpful.

Al

Edited by ark

1 hour ago, ark said:

Good info, thanks. I did not realize the TDS used the Garmin Trainer. And if I understand you correctly, you can have it displayed on the a/c panel (using the app at the link above), but to operate it you need to pop it out onto a separate screen such as a tablet or second monitor.  Or, I suppose, you can just use it soley on a 2nd screen without using the app above, but it will still drive the autopilot, etc.

Hope I have that correct.

Thanks again, very helpful.

Al

It isn't popped out of the panel, it remains there for display at all times.  The GTN you operate is either a separate window on the PC that you bring to the front to operate, or even better have it on a tablet so it can be operated by touch.

The app I linked to allows the the GTN units to display in a panel, but it doesn't install it to the panel - either it is an option with the panel or someone more clever than me can explain putting it into a panel 😁  

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

15 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

It isn't popped out of the panel, it remains there for display at all times.  The GTN you operate is either a separate window on the PC that you bring to the front to operate, or even better have it on a tablet so it can be operated by touch.

I understand -- poor choice of words on my part.  To display it on something like an Android tablet you would use an app like SpaceDesk. I did this with the RXP GTN750 in P3D.

15 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

The app I linked to allows the the GTN units to display in a panel, but it doesn't install it to the panel - either it is an option with the panel or someone more clever than me can explain putting it into a panel 😁

I think Ryan Butterworth (ryabbatcund) has done that for one of his planes.

Thanks,

Al

Edited by ark

Yeah MrBitsFlyer explained it pretty well.  The TDS is almost like the old RXP version in P3D with the major exception that, at the moment, you cannot manipulate the unit from within the virtual cockpit.

• Like 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

4 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

Yeah MrBitsFlyer explained it pretty well.  The TDS is almost like the old RXP version in P3D with the major exception that, at the moment, you cannot manipulate the unit from within the virtual cockpit.

What is involved in getting the TDS GTN to display in the VC. Do you use the glass screen area of some other gauge, e.g., a MFD screen?

Al

Edited by ark

9 hours ago, ark said:

What is involved in getting the TDS GTN to display in the VC. Do you use the glass screen area of some other gauge, e.g., a MFD screen?

Al

This mod.  It basically draws the image in the sim.  Kinda clever hehe.  I don't have a tablet so I just run it ( the tds gtn exe) on my second monitor.

https://flightsim.to/file/15543/vc-screen-integration-for-the-tds-gtn-750xi-650xi

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

The issue is that both of these GPS mods are limited in someway by the simulator and you have to do some work arounds. Both mention this in their user manuals. Also the NXI requires a login to a server to use. If that server ever goes down or they decided to close shop, the mod is useless because it requires a UN/PW to use.

Lokks like the G10000 NXI is king of the GPS's in MSFS.

Edited by MSFLYER5856

5 MHz 8087 IBM Clone, 640k RAM, 10 MB HD, Hercules 64k Graphics card, 14 in Monochrome Monitor, CH Products Mach-1 Joy Stick.

I have the TDS GTN screen on an iPad so it is touchscreen.

Forgive my ignorance but how did you do this?

I found Twomon, works quite well, is there another way?

Thanks

Edited by h2egc
updated

"It's ALL about Flying"

i7-9700k @5ghz | 32gb Gskill Ripjaw 5 DDR4 3000 | Nvidia RTX 4080 | W10 Pro | Samsung 32" 4K TV 

23 hours ago, MSFLYER5856 said:

The issue is that both of these GPS mods are limited in someway by the simulator and you have to do some work arounds. Both mention this in their user manuals. Also the NXI requires a login to a server to use. If that server ever goes down or they decided to close shop, the mod is useless because it requires a UN/PW to use.

Lokks like the G10000 NXI is king of the GPS's in MSFS.

MSFS requires a login haha...so if that goes down we're in hot water lol.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

21 hours ago, h2egc said:

Forgive my ignorance but how did you do this?

I found Twomon, works quite well, is there another way?

Thanks

Try space desk I think it's called.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

On 1/14/2022 at 9:48 PM, MrBitstFlyer said:

I would disagree. As an actual 750 (and 650 for that matter) user in real life, the flight planning works for the most part, but it can't do holds, it therefor really doesn't follow approaches. You can't activate approaches the way they are activated in the real unit ("direct to" an IAF). I'm instrument-rated and use the 750 for IFR in real life, and the PMS unit is in no way analogous to an actual 750. Sure some of this is the fault of the sim. Beats the word not allowed out of spinning dials in the 530 for sure, and if you don't know the capabilities of the actual unit you'll be fine. 

If the price were half what it is my opinion would be different, bust asking $75 for that thing is a joke. Do not pay an extremely premium price for it thinking it's going to be like the real thing. It just isn't.

Edited by mtr75

On 1/14/2022 at 6:26 PM, ark said:

stay with the G1000NXi

If you are looking for realistic performance and capabilities, this is the correct choice. 

On 1/14/2022 at 9:48 PM, MrBitstFlyer said:

Wow! Game changer, uses the Garmin Trainer. And half the price of the other one. Thank you!