Sign in to follow this  
OlliePen

Parallel runway ops

At fields with parallel runways of identical or similar length, is there a convention for departures and arrivals?

In other words, do departures typically use the runway closest to the terminal buildings, or is it the other way 'round?

Or does it vary by individual field layout, or by inbound/outbound traffic, or navaids, etc?

Corsair 5000D Airflow | Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Master | i7-11700K @ 4.9GHz | Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB DDR4-3600 CL16 RAM | Crucial P5 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME | WD 14TB external HDD | Gigabyte RTX 3080 Aorus Master | EVGA G3 850 W 80+ Gold PSU | LG 32GP850-B 32.0" 2560x1440 165Hz | Saitek X52 HOTAS | Win10 21H2

At London Heathrow, they swap the landing and departing runways around - Runways 27L and 27R, at 1500 hrs (from memory), to spread the noise around more fairly.

Eugene

• Like 1

You can look for tell-tail signs.  For example, which runway has the most complex runway lighting?  That one is likely used for landings.  Which runway is longer?  That one is usually used for takeoff, especially where heavy Interntional operations are involved. Some examples:

KJFK:  4L for departures and 4R for landings.  31L for takeoffs, 31R for landings.  22R for takeoffs, and 22L for landings.  

KLAX:  24R & 25L for landings, and 24L & 25R for departures.

For other airports, it may be a matter of direction of flight. departing traffic in one direction is assigned one runway or runway complex, and those departing in another direction a different runway or complex.  KSFO for example, when they are landing on the 28s, they usually depart on the 1s, and which one you get is usually based on your departure direction/SID assignment.

None of these are hard and fast rules.  In the US, we used runway balancing methods and tools to efficiently use the runways available while also considering the airport's neighbors.  If winds allow, airplanes will be assigned preferential runways for noise and may be switched periodically to spread the wealth (or misery as you may view it) around the community.   

I hope this helps,

Rich 

• Like 2

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

Several years ago someone told me (I forgot who) that a general "rule of thumb" was the parallel closer to the terminal is used for departures and the one farther from the terminal is used for arrivals.

• Like 1

Regards,

Claude Franklin

Thanks for all the good info, gents!

I'd also heard several years from a forgotten someone that the closest runway to the terminal was typically used for departures, but the noise abatement considerations and general specs/layouts/lighting of the runways also make sense.

I appreciate your input. 😀

Corsair 5000D Airflow | Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Master | i7-11700K @ 4.9GHz | Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB DDR4-3600 CL16 RAM | Crucial P5 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME | WD 14TB external HDD | Gigabyte RTX 3080 Aorus Master | EVGA G3 850 W 80+ Gold PSU | LG 32GP850-B 32.0" 2560x1440 165Hz | Saitek X52 HOTAS | Win10 21H2