Sign in to follow this  
styckx

My entire install of MSFS just vanished

6 hours ago, FPStewy said:

The "eula agreement" basically gives them full access to your computer to do whatever they wish, want or see fit to do even if the reason is a "false" positive. I'll leave it at that.

Well there goes my copy.

Interesting. Would you be so kind as to provide a link to the "eula" that contains the language that you allege it contains?

Much thanks,

...jim

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

ASUS Prime Z790-E, Intel i9 13900K, 32Gb DDR5 Ram, Nvidia 3090 24Gb, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500 GB and 1 TB, Samsung Odyssey G9 Ultrawide 49" G-SYNC Monitor.

14 hours ago, styckx said:

Forward:

1. Never participated in the beta

2. Not on an Insider Preview

3. Microsoft Store Edition

4. Virus free etc

This morning I launched Orbx Central to see if any updates were available and and shocking it couldn't detect any simulator. So I launched MSFS because it's still in my Start Menu (only if I search) and it went to the installation manager portion requiring a 115GB download. The heck? I ALT-F4'ed and went into the Windows 11 apps section and it shows MSFS only taking up 9GBs. (assuming that's my community folder)

So just like that my entire installation was removed because?????? 

I'm over this.. I'm so mad right now. 

Absolutely identical horror happened to me two days ago. Even my MSFS icon on the task bar was deleted. I wonder whether this is perhaps some form of copy protection gone berserk?

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

10 hours ago, styckx said:

The problem is the actual install location is locked down behind Windows security word not allowed which you need to Google to even figure out the location of and properly have access to it.

Did you install MSFS on the C drive or another?

Using the Windows Search can you locate your MSFS "UserCfg.opt"? Mine is located on a secondary drive: E:\WpSystem\S-1-5-21-2664669059-4195190780-4106683977-1001\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache

If so, can you open it and scroll down to the bottom of that file and see what is the path of your simulator package files? (it should normally be the same as the UserCfg.opt but it's worth a check). Are your MSFS files here?

Eventually - please save a copy of your UserCfg.opt file - change that last line with:

InstalledPackagesPath "C:\Users\PC name\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages" and see if there is any change, are your MSFS files in that location?   

Edited by Bernard Ducret

Bernard

CPU = 12900K / GPU = Nvidia 3090 VRAM 24 GB / RAM = 64 GB / SSD = 2 TB 980 PRO PCle 4.0 NVMe™ M.2, 

2 hours ago, David Mills said:

Absolutely identical horror happened to me two days ago. Even my MSFS icon on the task bar was deleted. I wonder whether this is perhaps some form of copy protection gone berserk?

Glad I'm not the only one. I saw your thread. After Googling we aren't alone

I didn't do any custom anything, no beta, just installed how dear Microsoft wanted it installed.. And.. Gone.. Poof..  I'm so discouraged.. I have all the means to redownload and install it AGAIN but.. For what? I paid over $100 for a sim that can just do whatever it wants. Up to and including deleting itself. 

I'm over it.  This sim is dead to me. I uninstalled it.. Which is ironic I still had the option to do that. Uninstalled Orbx. Uninstalled REX Seasons... 

I quit until Asobo ever publicly addresses this. I have zero incentive to put in the work installing a ticking time bomb. 

Edited by styckx

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

18 minutes ago, Nemo said:

It is also discussed here https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/115-gb-mandatory-update/489617

but no official statement so far.

There is one from a moderator actually: "I don't think it's a bug"

I DON'T THINK IT'S A BUG

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/115-gb-mandatory-update/489617/28

Also: I have monitored many threads where keeping a default installation already causes challenges even not participating in a Beta. All the basic Security settings to the path, symbolic linking, etc. So it’s not surprising that you’d want to keep your Packages out of those possibilities.

I mean... we are talking about a Microsoft software accessing Microsoft Windows folders. Every other Windows software or game is perfectly able to run from and get updates into the standard Programs Files, Programs Files (x86) and steamapp folders without any issues since decades 🤣

And moreover it is the DEFAULT installation path chosen by their installer.

1zZ9.gif

Edited by MrFuzzy
  • Like 2

7800X3D | 32 GB DDR5-6000 | RTX 3090 | Acer Predator X34P GSync | Tobii Eye Tracker 5 | Completed all achievements 😛 https://i.postimg.cc/DyjR8mzG/image.png

It's a Bless !

It auto-uninstalls !  Way ahead !

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

5 minutes ago, MrFuzzy said:

There is one from a moderator actually: "I don't think it's a bug"

You  quoted him but left one sentence out I’m not on MS-Store . The guy is on Steam 🤣

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

2 full days attempting to update this thing. 2 full days of crashing with no warning on the installer. My download speed is only 10 mbps, what a killer,

I so wish I followed the advice from Dominique and left that Beta well alone.

My store files are still there on E drive,, any advice on what to do for this PITA MS store version?

I have put a report on zendesk, but I guess they could be overwhelmed!

Also Addon Linker deserves a shout out, at least my addons are still safe too.

1 hour ago, Puddin said:

2 full days attempting to update this thing. 2 full days of crashing with no warning on the installer. My download speed is only 10 mbps, what a killer,

I so wish I followed the advice from Dominique and left that Beta well alone.

My store files are still there on E drive,, any advice on what to do for this PITA MS store version?

I have put a report on zendesk, but I guess they could be overwhelmed!

Also Addon Linker deserves a shout out, at least my addons are still safe too.

Next would be to copy the store folder/community folder providing it downloaded completely to the c drive root folder (leaving a copy on E) then edit the usercfg file to point to where the folder is on c drive browse to it and hopefully it would run. After that word not allowed.

Edited by 40track
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, 40track said:

Next would be to copy the store folder/community folder providing it downloaded completely to the c drive root folder (leaving a copy on E) then edit the usercfg file to point to where the folder is on c drive browse to it and hopefully it would run. After that word not allowed.

Thanks, I will give it a try tomorrow, I’ve burned myself out for today.

• Upvote 1