Sign in to follow this  
Rob G

PC Memory and MSFS

Hi folks. Presently I have 32GB or 3200Mhz memory in my gaming PC. I just ordered 64GB of 3600Mhz memory for the machine for a variety of reasons. But I don't actually know if that will help using the sim or not. Can I get some feedback on whether the increased amount and speed of the memory will help performance of MSFS?

Thanks ..... Rob

Case: (Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic XL), PSU: (MEG Ai300p pcie 5 & ATX 3.0), Motherboard: (ASUS TUF Gaming x670E-PLUS WIFI 6E), CPU: (AMD Ryzen 7 7800-X3D) 

Memory: (G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6000), GPU: (Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo). CPU Cooler: (ASUS ROG Strix LC RGB 360) 

Fans: (7 Corsair LL Series 120mm RGB)

64GB DDR4 3200 running MSFS without Pagefile and NVME Drive Still stutters like old P3D v4 So i grabbed a PCIE 4 NVME drive to see if that may texture stream better install and custom folder from the c drive. Find out next week.

Edited by 40track

I only have 16GB and everything is smooth as silk, rarely do I see over 10 GB used. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Just now, Bobsk8 said:

I only have 16GB and everything is smooth as silk, rarely do I see over 10 GB used. 

Same here. Only 16GB and smooth as silk. I just did a flight around Tokyo (PG on) and had Google Maps (satellite view) open to find spots I've visited IRL.
My computer: Intel i7 8700K, Nvidia 1080ti and 16GB 2667MHz.
MSFS: everything High and Clouds and some others on Ultra. Scenery LOD200. Flying mostly GA and some fast jets.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

Same. 32 here but never used by MSFS 

• Like 1

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

I have ran it with 32GB of DDR3, 16 and 32GB of DDR4, and 64MB of DDR5 and you do not need more than 16GB. You do need memory bandwidth, that makes a difference.

Alienware Aurora R13, i9 12900K, Z690, 3080ti, 64GB DDR5, 2TB NVMe

No amount of RAM will fix frame time issues👍

Ryzen 5900x - 32gb 3600Mhz RAM - Asus Strix X570-F Motherboard - ASUS TUF OC RTX 3090 - AOC AGON 32" 144Hz - LG OLED55CX5LB 55" Smart 4K Ultra HD HDR OLED - 1TB Sabrent Rocket M.2 + 2TB PCIe4.0 NVMe drive's - Samsung EVO 670 SSD 250gb - 2TB 3.5" HDD - Honeycomb Alpha Flight controls Yoke - Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog. T Flight Rudder Pedals - Trackir

Wasn't it Bill gates that once said that a PC would never need more than 640 KB ? 😉

Normand

Intel i7 9700K @ 4.9 GHz / Asus Prime Z390-A / 32GB DDR4 3200 MHz / MSI RTX 4080 / PSU 750 Watt / Microsoft Flight Simulator / Windows 10 Pro x64

As others have said, 32GB should be more than enough for the sim running on its own -- many people get by with 16 at full settings with no trouble.   That doesn't mean there isn't merit in having more if you're doing other things that can take advantage of it.

That said, one other thing to think about with memory is a trap that people often fall into:   clock frequency is only a portion of what goes into total RAM speed.   The CAS latency has a big impact, too.   If you're going from 3200 C16 RAM to 3600 C18, two very common values, you're actually not changing the true latency at all:  in both cases, it's 20ns, and you will see very similar performance between the two.  

Edited by DeepestRed
  • Upvote 1

The people's flag is deepest red.

DDR4 32 max Intel 3200 or AMD 3600. 3-4 years when DDR5 is the new DDR4 and games have progressed then 64GB. If your sim is smooth then then that's good. If not and your hardware is up to it a M2 PCIE 4x drive may give better bang for your buck for now providing you have the OS and MSFS custom folder on that same drive.

Edited by 40track
Added info

I have 32 Gb but I don't think I seen one time it was used at 100 % in MSFS, so, yes, it's probably more than enough.

Intel i9 - GPU RTX 3080 - 32 gig RAM HyperX Fury DDR 4