Sign in to follow this  
flyinpilot212121

So...Does Tobii now work with MSFS flawlessly

38 minutes ago, jcomm said:

Well, driven by curiosity I checked their site...

Yikes !!!  .... It's EXPENSIVE !  It's even more expensive than TrackIR 5 ??? How come ?

Well, it’s got EYE tracking, as well as head tracking - and it works brilliantly for me.

2 hours ago, robcap said:

Ok guys. I'm on the verge of buying it. Could users of the Tobii5 in MSFS, with SU8 and the implementend functionality, share their experiences please? There is no a lot of user reviews yet.

Cheers, Rob

I’ve got it - and I like it a lot. I’ve seen some users state that the Tobii settings are not saved when you quit MSFS, but I don’t have that problem.

Jonas from Tobii posted a setup guide on the official MSFS forum, well worth checking since there are some further tricks posted in the thread: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/settings-setup-guide-for-the-tobii-eye-tracker-5/502973

• Like 2

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

10 minutes ago, SierraDelta said:

Well, it’s got EYE tracking, as well as head tracking - and it works brilliantly for me.

I’ve got it - and I like it a lot. I’ve seen some users state that the Tobii settings are not saved when you quit MSFS, but I don’t have that problem.

Jonas from Tobii posted a setup guide on the official MSFS forum, well worth checking since there are some further tricks posted in the thread: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/settings-setup-guide-for-the-tobii-eye-tracker-5/502973

Thanks for the feedback, just purchased it and looking forward to giving it a go! 

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

32 minutes ago, flyinpilot212121 said:

Thanks for the feedback, just purchased it and looking forward to giving it a go! 

Me too. It had a 15% discount that brought the price under £200 inc tax. No doubt there will be an import duty to pay once Mr/Mrs. Postman arrives 🙁

Stu

• Like 1

i7 12700K , 32GB RAM @3600MHz, Asus Z690-Plus D4 MB, Gainward 4090 RTX Graphics, 850W Corsair PSU, Kraken AIO watercooler, Nvme 1TB ssd, 1TB ssd, 500GB ssd.

1 hour ago, Tony P said:

I also got a Tobii and am returning it.  Made me dizzy and yeah - I tried to use it for hours and still felt the same way.  Just wasn't for me but I'm sure others could enjoy it.  It does work straight out of the box without too much fuss.  Customer service is very responsive as well.  

Hi Tony - try changing the new eye to head tracking ratio in the settings. That can smooth things out (especially on a bigger screen).

• Like 1

After SU8 - Tobii is now a clear favourite for me over TrackIR. The only minor knock is the head position when you enable 6dof in the settings - you need to use F12 on the default keyboard profile to reset it back to the correct position. This is a new setting with SU8 so it won't be in any current custom keyboard profiles and the option does not show up in the settings config to allow you to bind it to another key or controller button. This needs to be done via manually editing the controller config xml file although it has been logged as a bug so should hopefully be addressed in a future update.

Using the manual editing of the files, I was able to bind the reset eye tracking to my Virpil controller as well as adding it to my existing keyboard profiles without the need to recreate them.

Tobii is excellent in MSFS 2020 imho.

• Like 3

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

Thanks for all your helpfull replies. I think I'll take the plunge!

http://dc2-fs.com

sigimavsim.JPG

Dutch National Aviation Theme Park and Museum.

No DC3 without the DC2

I also like the tobii 5 very much due to the sheer simplicity - it just works.  I found, however, that for me the eye tracking component was a source of dizziness and frustration to a degree.  Having the screen pan around when you scan with your eyes is cool at first, but when you are looking between two spots, as you would when looking at a control dial then a display indicator to dial in an altitude setting or radio frequency using your mouse and scroll wheel, every time you look away from the dial to check what values the setting is at, the screen shifts slightly, the mouse pointer loses focus and the sim stops reading your inputs so you have to re-adjust the mouse pointer and begin again.  The shifting around with the screen panning during normal flight also had a subtly disorienting effect after periods of time.  Thankfully, it's possible to dial out the eye tracking component and still have the head tracking movement, which is how I'm using it currently and am pretty happy with it as a TrackIR replacement.  

Any other issues are just annoyances that have to do with Asobo's typical first-iteration implementation pains since - god love 'em - we know by now they just aren't capable of getting much right the first time (and many times the second, third or fourth).  For starters I am puzzled as to why it was not possible to map the view reset command which is currently hard-wired to the F12 key and for the default keyboard config only.  Additionally, for whatever reason I am one of those people witnessing certain sensitivity settings being reset between sessions despite trying everything to save between flights and before exiting the sim.  I addressed the F12 issue by running a program called JoyToKey which makes it dead simple to map any controller assignment to any keystroke or combo of keystrokes.  The settings which are being reset are PITCH/YAW and POSITION, which I like having bumped up to about 1.25 or 1.30 for responsiveness, yet they want to reset to 1.00 all the time.   

Finally, I discovered that when switching to VR, tobii remains active and starts shifting my head position around as it sees my VR headset (HP Reverb 2) move around, which doubles the movement in the sim and is just plain strange.  The easy fix for that is to turn the HEAD TRACKING SENSITIVITY: POSITION setting (last setting at the bottom) down to zero and you're good to go.  I'm guessing maybe this is why the default value for that setting was set to zero to begin with. Add this to the list of things to get right and I'd expect it will take a 3 or 4 SU releases for all the above to get ironed out, because Asobo.  But overall I'm happy with the device.  The settings I'm using are as follows:

RbgKj7i.jpg

• Like 2

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

I left out one thing that was cut off in the above pic.  "HEAD TRACKING AUTO-CENTER" seems to have been the culprit of why I was having to press F12 so frequently after doing things like leaning forward to zoom in one a gauge or whatever.   I disabled it (it's on by default, and easy to miss unless you use the scroll gadget to see what's below the other settings)  and had an extremely solid head-tracking experience for the whole flight with minimal re-centerings.  If you find yourself getting annoyed because of position drift, try turning this off.  👍

7H9e92Q.jpg

Edited by Stoopy

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

Thanks Stoopy. I'll see how it goes.

sigimavsim.JPG

No DC3 without the DC2

6 hours ago, Stoopy said:

I left out one thing that was cut off in the above pic.  "HEAD TRACKING AUTO-CENTER" seems to have been the culprit of why I was having to press F12 so frequently after doing things like leaning forward to zoom in one a gauge or whatever.   I disabled it (it's on by default, and easy to miss unless you use the scroll gadget to see what's below the other settings)  and had an extremely solid head-tracking experience for the whole flight with minimal re-centerings.  If you find yourself getting annoyed because of position drift, try turning this off.  👍

7H9e92Q.jpg

Thanks Stoopy. I'll be using these settings once my Tobii arrives. 

i7 12700K , 32GB RAM @3600MHz, Asus Z690-Plus D4 MB, Gainward 4090 RTX Graphics, 850W Corsair PSU, Kraken AIO watercooler, Nvme 1TB ssd, 1TB ssd, 500GB ssd.

A quick tip on Tobii when you are using your VR headset. You can disable Tobii from the task tray by pulling up Tobii experience and turning the device off under settings. A couple of clicks but probably still quicker than navigating and changing the Tobii controller options in sim. I actually leave Tobii off unless I am in MSFS as I don't use it for anything else.

• Like 2

Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4090, 32GB, Win 11. MSFS2020. VKB, MFG & Virpil controllers. Quest 3 for VR.

double post

Edited by robcap

sigimavsim.JPG

No DC3 without the DC2

Why does the tracker bar need to be at the bottom of the monitor and not the top?

Update. I have discovered some information from the Tobii web site and other sources that indicate that it may be possible to mount the tracking bar on the top of the monitor successfully. But due to possible issues with the eye tracking algorithm being designed for normal mounting on the bottom of the monitor it is the preferred mounting solution on the bottom. As I use a Precision Flight Control C2 Professional console I am concerned that the bottom mounting solution would not work for me. Does anyone have any experience with the top of monitor mounting?