Sign in to follow this  
iliasr

Frozen Dreams

Issues with local geography are usually a resource or technical limitation.

Similar things happen across the world such as the Peak District in the UK where the Heather gets picked up in the data as trees.

But when your virtual world is 510,100,000 km², it's to be expected.

Edited by Rudiii

Currently circumnavigating the world in a mix of Cessna and Piper aircraft. 

My Default Setup; MSFS, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster Hotas X, TrackIR, Samsung Galaxy Tab, JustFlight Piper Arrow. Simworks Quest Kodiak 100. 

Wishlist; Honeycomb Bravo, Honeycomb Charlie.

1:400 Airline Model Collector.

1 minute ago, Rudiii said:

But when your virtual world is 510,100,000 km², it's to be expected.

Doesn't mean it couldn't be fixed.

Should be easy as they know where water masks are to leave them free of ice above a certain temp.

But I'm sure this will be adressed one day

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just now, guenseli said:

Doesn't mean it couldn't be fixed.

Should be easy as they know where water masks are to leave them free of ice above a certain temp.

But I'm sure this will be adressed one day

I wouldn't be surprised if someone finds a way and releases a fix as a mod. 

It happened before with the lake elevation issue. Plus a user was recently asking for assistance with fixing the Peak District issue I mentioned above. Others have taken on tree types and coastlines in their local areas.

Currently circumnavigating the world in a mix of Cessna and Piper aircraft. 

My Default Setup; MSFS, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster Hotas X, TrackIR, Samsung Galaxy Tab, JustFlight Piper Arrow. Simworks Quest Kodiak 100. 

Wishlist; Honeycomb Bravo, Honeycomb Charlie.

1:400 Airline Model Collector.

26 minutes ago, iliasr said:

I was flying the other day and saw areas with no snow that should have had it.  You know Asobo is working on this, but as history shows us complaints like this when the rest of the winter scenery looks amazing will have Asobo breaking the whole feature just to appease a few users.  Give this some time to evolve versus losing your hat over it.  We had nothing before, remember that and we could be back in that boat again... 🤨

• Like 5

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

It would be best to just disable this frozen water effect until they figure out a way to limit it to appropriate areas.  Or at least give us an option to toggle it off.  I’d rather see small bodies of water that occasionally freeze shown unfrozen than to see large bodies of water and rivers that would never freeze be shown as solid ice.  It’s a bit of an immersion breaker.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dillon said:

I was flying the other day and saw areas with no snow that should have had it.  You know Asobo is working on this, but as history shows us complaints like this when the rest of the winter scenery looks amazing will have Asobo breaking the whole feature just to appease a few users.  Give this some time to evolve versus losing your hat over it.  We had nothing before, remember that and we could be back in that boat again... 🤨

you know you could really use that "argument" against any requested fixes. but it's not helpful 😉 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, dresoccer4 said:

you know you could really use that "argument" against any requested fixes. but it's not helpful 😉 

True.  It's totally subjective as to what's more of an urgent issue than others.  When I see active movement on something I'll give it somewhat of a pass if it's not perfect versus something like a broken ATC system that has seen little to no improvement. 😏

Edited by Dillon

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

...the problem isn't the Lakes or small water bodies but saltwater areas , Pacific Fjords ,Scandinavia etc. there  is a total snow covered Sea -not frozen- from real weather engine ...

The 2nd post is wrong. Doesn't the poster watch Deadliest Catch? The Bering Sea freezes all the time... Dutch Harbor Alaska gets iced over every winter as does St. Paul Harbor. All of it is in salt water.

The Great Lakes freeze on a fairly regular basis, and most all of the lakes here do as well, granted we have small ones in the mid-Atlantic states.

I hope Asobo only fixes it for the lakes that don't freeze. But this issue is trivial so I don't care if they fix it right away or wait.

• Like 2

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

35 minutes ago, MDFlier said:

The 2nd post is wrong. Doesn't the poster watch Deadliest Catch? The Bering Sea freezes all the time... Dutch Harbor Alaska gets iced over every winter as does St. Paul Harbor. All of it is in salt water.

The Great Lakes freeze on a fairly regular basis, and most all of the lakes here do as well, granted we have small ones in the mid-Atlantic states.

I hope Asobo only fixes it for the lakes that don't freeze. But this issue is trivial so I don't care if they fix it right away or wait.

Saltwater freezes on -20 c and below , not by -2  or  -7 c ...

9 hours ago, iliasr said:

"The ice was here. The ice was there. The ice was everywhere." -Samuel Coleridge, Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner

• Like 2

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Metoeblue has a Sea Ice map which does show frozen seas in the Pacific Fjords area and also in Scandanavia.  Not sure of the accuracy or whether or not msfs is utilizing that map at all but there looks to be frozen seas in those areas.

8 hours ago, MDFlier said:

But this issue is trivial so I don't care if they fix it right away or wait.

How I hate such comments... the issue is only trivial, if you are word not allowed while flying over a region with frozen lakes that basically never freeze over, like in the Swiss Alps (basically throughout the Alps...). I still wonder how one can oversee this or consider it minor, if I fly with real weather in the Alps, this totally ruins immersion. Flying in the Alps is now in 3/4th of the year impossible with real weather: either (in winter) lakes are frozen that never freeze or (in autumn and spring) the snow coverage is so ridiculously bad, it instantly kills immersion as well. And no, I am not happy with weather presets, they usually do not even closely represent the weather in the Alps...

@slashed2 do you have a link to the meteoblue sea ice map? I am pretty sure that this map is correct (as the snow coverage map) but Asobo once more failed to properly integrate the available data into their sim...

• Like 3

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

7 hours ago, slashed2 said:

Metoeblue has a Sea Ice map which does show frozen seas in the Pacific Fjords area and also in Scandanavia.  Not sure of the accuracy or whether or not msfs is utilizing that map at all but there looks to be frozen seas in those areas.

I‘ve just checked the coast north and south of Stockholm and the ice coverage doesn’t match at all. South of Stockholm there’s no snow and only a few smaller bays are frozen on the Meteoblue map but in the sim there’s no ice at all. North of Stockholm there‘s snow and vast parts of the coast are frozen in the sim while on Meteoblue‘s map there’s only one small patch of ice. So it seems that in the sim ice is tied to snow coverage and/or temperatures rather than Meteoblue‘s ice data. I hope one day they make use of it. That would probably be the easiest way to implement accurate ice coverage, at least for the sea as the data doesn’t seem to cover lakes and rivers.

Edited by Shack95
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2