Sign in to follow this  
Bobsk8

The surprise I got with the Kodiak

One of the best planes in MSFS, coupled with the NXi from WT it's a real joy to fly.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, MSI X570 Pro, 32 gb DDR4 3600 ram, Gigabyte 6800 16gb GPU, 1x 2tb Samsung  NvMe , 2x 1tb Sabrent NvME, 1x Crucial SSD,

I never got into the glass cockpit stuff as much and only recently started doing things like using the OBS to assist in approaches to smaller airstrips, and fly the occasional ILS or RNAV approach with the NXi.  After all this time looking at the VNAV button and wondering what it did, I activated the procedure for a straight-in visual approach for my destination airport while on the last enroute leg of my flight last night, then hit VNAV and watched it add the Top Of Descent circle and then magically fly the descent all the way down to intersecting the straight-in approach for final.  It was very very cool and I feel empowered to take on any airfield in any weather. 

I have been battling the challenge of live weather and small airstrips as part of a very slow and deliberate RTW trip for the last 14 months through much of the North and South Americas and will be jumping across the pond to Africa soon.  So this is a total game changer and thanks for your post!

Edited by Stoopy

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

4 hours ago, tup61 said:

Best (quickest updates) and cheapest option is from the developer! https://simworksstudios.com/kodiak-100-wheels-for-msfs.html

Thanks, I've purchased and am attempting to download but the download never gets past 130mb before it timesout and starts the download all over again from 0, I've tried all the download methods. I've sent an email to support but has anyone encountered this?

Jim

Jim Vasto

On 1/17/2022 at 10:21 PM, Bobsk8 said:

The first thing i did was to install the G 1000 NXI version from the Market Place, which was free. In he beginning I was very confused by all the buttons and dials, and different screen, so I turned to Youtube, and started watching tutorial videos. Gradually I learned more and about this NXI version, and little by little I realized I was having as much fun flying with the G 1000 as I was with the aircraft. First of all Working Title Must be some kind of genius to figure out all the things that this G 1000 can do , and improve on them. I mean, everything just works, and not only does it work, it works perfectly. 

I just did three flights this morning in the Kodiak, I used Vnav on the G 1000 to control my descent from cruise to approach, and it even shows you the upcoming altitude constraints so you can set the altimeter for the next step down. Then I go to the procedure screen and pick the approach and runway I am going to arrive with. It lists the waypoints on the approach, and shows you them on the MFD screen as you fly the approach. If it is an Rnav approach, it is just like flying an ILS with the G 1000, glide slope right to the runway.  If I am flying an ILS, it  switches from GPS mode to Nav mode, sets the frequency for the LOC, and the course for the runway, automatically. If there is a procedure turn or hold, it does that with ease.   Another great feature is flying in very mountainous terrain like in New Guinea, or Alaska, and the Terrain feature shows where you can fly and how high you have to be to avoid hitting the terrain. This mode is totally accurate, I have been threading my way through the mountains in New Guinea, like the Missionary Pilot.  😉

I have just touched on a few of the capabilities that this G 1000 NXI has, it is fantastic. 

Anyway, for the people that have not installed the NXI version of the G 1000, you have no idea what you are missing. https://www.workingtitle.aero/packages/nxi/

For that you don't need the Kodiak though. Almost every second default aircraft, like the C172, the Caravan, the Turbo Porter, the Baron, the Bonanza or the SR22 have the NXI.

I wonder what part of the Kodiak is not more or less covered by either the Caravan or the PC-6. At least NXI-wise, there should be no difference...

Edited by mrueedi

1 hour ago, mrueedi said:

I wonder what part of the Kodiak is not more or less covered by either the Caravan or the PC-6.

The Kodiak has superior sounds, superior flight model, a lot more moving parts (doors etc.), working cooling system (for what it's worth 😉 ), working circuit breakers, that kind of stuff. 😉

On 1/17/2022 at 4:21 PM, Bobsk8 said:

I got the Kodiak for a Christmas Present for myself, and this is the only aircraft I fly now. The only thing I was disappointed with, was having to go from steam gauges which is how I got my PPL years ago, to a Glass Panel G 1000. I thought I would never get used to it. The first thing i did was to install the G 1000 NXI version from the Market Place, which was free. In he beginning I was very confused by all the buttons and dials, and different screen, so I turned to Youtube, and started watching tutorial videos. Gradually I learned more and about this NXI version, and little by little I realized I was having as much fun flying with the G 1000 as I was with the aircraft. First of all Working Title Must be some kind of genius to figure out all the things that this G 1000 can do , and improve on them. I mean, everything just works, and not only does it work, it works perfectly. 

I just did three flights this morning in the Kodiak, I used Vnav on the G 1000 to control my descent from cruise to approach, and it even shows you the upcoming altitude constraints so you can set the altimeter for the next step down. Then I go to the procedure screen and pick the approach and runway I am going to arrive with. It lists the waypoints on the approach, and shows you them on the MFD screen as you fly the approach. If it is an Rnav approach, it is just like flying an ILS with the G 1000, glide slope right to the runway.  If I am flying an ILS, it  switches from GPS mode to Nav mode, sets the frequency for the LOC, and the course for the runway, automatically. If there is a procedure turn or hold, it does that with ease.   Another great feature is flying in very mountainous terrain like in New Guinea, or Alaska, and the Terrain feature shows where you can fly and how high you have to be to avoid hitting the terrain. This mode is totally accurate, I have been threading my way through the mountains in New Guinea, like the Missionary Pilot.  😉

I have just touched on a few of the capabilities that this G 1000 NXI has, it is fantastic. 

Anyway, for the people that have not installed the NXI version of the G 1000, you have no idea what you are missing. https://www.workingtitle.aero/packages/nxi/

Can you recommend a youtube tutorial to learn VNAV as opposed to ILS. Ive never used VNAV before on any sim. I've always landed at ILS runways if available.

5 MHz 8087 IBM Clone, 640k RAM, 10 MB HD, Hercules 64k Graphics card, 14 in Monochrome Monitor, CH Products Mach-1 Joy Stick.

2 hours ago, mrueedi said:

For that you don't need the Kodiak though. Almost every second default aircraft, like the C172, the Caravan, the Turbo Porter, the Baron, the Bonanza or the SR22 have the NXI.

I wonder what part of the Kodiak is not more or less covered by either the Caravan or the PC-6. At least NXI-wise, there should be no difference...

I never fly default aircraft in any sim, waste of time. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

9 minutes ago, MSFLYER5856 said:

Can you recommend a youtube tutorial to learn VNAV as opposed to ILS. Ive never used VNAV before on any sim. I've always landed at ILS runways if available.

• Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

25 minutes ago, MSFLYER5856 said:

In addition to Bob's post, check this tutorial (for airports that don't have an ILS or RNAV approach):

BTW VNAV isn't equal to ILS: VNAV simply means 'vertical navigation' and can be used to go from one altitude to whatever altitude you need or want with guidance. Check the video for more information about the various approaches types that do (more or less) equal ILS.

Edited by tup61
  • Like 1

On 1/17/2022 at 10:58 PM, hangar said:

Yep, that's what I do...fun stuff.

Me too. The essence of flying is in manual I reckon 🙂

Simming since FS 98. MSFS rig - Ryzen 3600 4.2Ghz - 32GB RAM 3600Mhz - Motherboard MSI 570 A Pro - RTX 2080 Ti -all overclocked - 2xNVME storage. PSU Corsair HX850i platinum. Average 30Fps on 4K ultra.

1 hour ago, Bobsk8 said:

Ive never used VNAV before on any sim. I've always landed at ILS runways if available.

That tutorial appears to cover (2) subjects.  VNAV is controlled descent from say a cruise altitude to profile altitudes published for an arrival or for the early portions of an approach on to the Final Approach Fix (FAF) .  At that point VNAV ceases and the AP's APR function is used for RNAV (GPS) and ILS to continue the descent from the FAF to Decision Height (DH).   So they are two different stages of descent.  VNAV and RNAV are not the same.

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

1 hour ago, fppilot said:

That tutorial appears to cover (2) subjects.  VNAV is controlled descent from say a cruise altitude to profile altitudes published for an arrival or for the early portions of an approach on to the Final Approach Fix (FAF) .  At that point VNAV ceases and the AP's APR function is used for RNAV (GPS) and ILS to continue the descent from the FAF to Decision Height (DH).   So they are two different stages of descent.  VNAV and RNAV are not the same.

You quoted MSFLYER5856, not Bobsk8. And Bob doesn't like to be misquoted. 😉

2 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

I never fly default aircraft in any sim, waste of time. 

Hm, well, I now only fly the Kodiak and sometimes the FBW A32NX but the C172 with analogue gauges and the TBM were pretty nice for default aircraft. You may have missed out on some fun with MSFS! 😉 The default MSFS planes aren't as bad as the default planes in other sims. But well... by now there are enough addon planes to indeed never really bother with default (or at least unmodded) planes in MSFS anymore. 😉