Sign in to follow this  
Christopher Low

Ground handling physics of PMDG planes

I know that there was some criticism of the updated ground handling physics when PMDG released the 737NGXu, but I am curious to know what the real world airliner pilots think about this. I use the previous version 737NGX, a version of the 777 that is too old to be updated, and the latest version of the 747-400 in P3Dv4. That being the case, I have the old ground physics in the 737 and 777, and the new physics in the 747. Of course, I do not have any experience with the real planes, so I am not able to say which is more accurate. However, my opinion is that the ground physics of the 777 feel more realistic than the 747. When I turn the 777 on the ground, I feel a bit of resistance....and this is what I would expect from a large airliner with a triple gear main undercarriage. Those two sets of six fixed position tyres should offer quite a bit of resistance to a turn. On the other hand, the updated 747 feels very light through turns, without any great feel of resistance at all from the four sets of four fixed position tyres.

Maybe I am missing something here? I would be curious to know what the real world airliner pilots (particularly former 747-400 pilots) think of the new PMDG ground handling physics.

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Not a pilot here, but the 747 does have body-gear steering on two of the main gear bogies to help with tight turns on the ground, so they aren't all fixed position per-se. On the -400 I believe it is active below 16kn GS (at least that's what I remember from the manual). So that helps it a bit better at low speeds. You'll notice in the PMDG 744 that if you go beyond 16kn GS the aircraft turns more slowly and it becomes very difficult to make any tight turns.

I haven't tried the 777 but have tried both versions of the 737, all I can really say about the 737 is it's my least favourite aircraft in regards to ground-handling but that was the case even with the older, less realistic steering.

Edited by SimeonWilbury
  • Upvote 1

PUT In the UK.

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x & Radeon RX570 8GB. Prepar3Dv5.3 @1080p

spacer.png

The MLG tires on both acft aren't all on fixed axles.  The fuselage-mounted body gear (two inner and aftmost) MLG trucks on the 747-400 are hydraulically steerable up to 13 deg left/right, and the 777's two MLG rear axles are also steerable, so turning dynamics are explainably likely to be a bit different between the two acft.

• Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

This is very difficult to compare as ultimately all simobjects use the same physics, and SIM1.dll has the sliding coefficient of tarmac/concrete set to a low level which results in skidding. Unless PMDG are controlling the FDE externally the only variables can relate to weight and turning radius of the nosewheel, perhaps the damping moment of the suspension also affects the turn? 

I am fortunate to have around 20hrs on the BA 777 level D sim, slow speed turns were easy but at high weights anything over 10kts could result in side force. One of the most riskiest manoeuvres BA undertook was a 180 turn on the runway at one of the narrow Carribean airports. We demoed this and with differential thrust and braking you can just make the turn but you have to stop with the nose at 45d to the runway and overhanging the grass. Starting from a stand into that turn was very difficult to get right. From the flight deck it feels like you are moving backwards! 

p3d ground handling is primitive although with the introduction of sloped runways in v5 I imagine there are some changes to contact points. From a physics perspective sim1.dll is the culprit with the ridiculous rolling/sliding/braking friction coefficients. FDE designers have to compensate for the rolling which throws all the thrust values out which in turn breaks the fuel consumption at low levels of thrust, this is why every time a new version of p3d is released, out comes my hex editor! 

Interestingly MSFS has tried to sort this out, but that is even worse sometimes with the wheels gripping the runway at high speed like they were magnetised to the surface! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SimeonWilbury said:

On the -400 I believe it is active below 16kn GS (at least that's what I remember from the manual).

Yes that’s right, it activates decelerating through 15 kts and deactivates accelerating through 20 kts, the body gear turns only after 20 degree of nose wheel steering is used.

The 747 is nice and smooth in the taxi and has exceptional  damping on the nose wheel suspension.

I use a cat3 design nose wheel tiller on the sim, I’ve not noticed anything jump out at me as being bad with the latest PMDG 747 taxi behaviour. But I’ve not taxied it too much, I tend to start engines running on the runway and go !

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

17 minutes ago, jon b said:

[...] I’ve not taxied it too much, I tend to start engines running on the runway and go !

😱

You mean to say that a professional aviator doesn't spend 30+ mins at the gate, starting up from cold and dark, aligning the IRUs, uploading your nav, payload and weather data into the FMC, and requesting an IFR clearance from VATSIM, while having GSX deliver fuel, food, baggage and self-loading freight?
Shocked! Shocked, I tell you... 😄

• Like 4

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

@F737NG

flight simulation is all about fantasy of one sorts or another, and the fantasy for me is just turning up and blasting off without all the associated BS that seems to go with flying nowadays ! 😀

• Like 5

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

3 hours ago, F737NG said:

😱

You mean to say that a professional aviator doesn't spend 30+ mins at the gate, starting up from cold and dark, aligning the IRUs, uploading your nav, payload and weather data into the FMC, and requesting an IFR clearance from VATSIM, while having GSX deliver fuel, food, baggage and self-loading freight?
Shocked! Shocked, I tell you... 😄

@F737NG, I guess there is a misunderstanding here re @jon b. First, regarding real-life taxing the 747 he is 100% correct, smooth operation all across. Also, there are some discrepancies with the PMDG taxing at low gross weights. But as RSR said "only 1%" or qualified people in type will notice. 

I fully understand Jon's choice to start the engines after a short preflight and go versus requesting and waiting for VATSIM for clearance or "GSX deliver fuel, food, baggage, and self-loading freight?". We do that in real life and some of us are quite tired of it and just prefer to avoid that nonsense.

Yes, for a PC pilot it is as much as close to reality as possible.

No need to be "Shocked" about choices.

• Like 1

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

2 minutes ago, Vlad Tepes3 said:

@F737NG, I guess there is a misunderstanding here re @jon b

2 minutes ago, Vlad Tepes3 said:

No need to be "Shocked" about choices

I can detect F737NG’s distinctive  British sarcastic humour in his post, which probably doesn’t come across well written down on the internet and read by those not native to these shores 😀 I don’t think for one moment he is actually shocked, at my severe lack of professionalism  😉😄

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

787 captain.  

9 minutes ago, Vlad Tepes3 said:

We do that in real life and some of us are quite tired of it and just prefer to avoid that nonsense.

👍😀 yes !

787 captain.  

49 minutes ago, Vlad Tepes3 said:

As @jonb already pointed out, I'm just as 'shocked' as Capt. Renault is in this clip... 😉

https://tenor.com/view/casablanca-humphrey-bogart-claude-rains-rick-blaine-captain-renault-gif-15943064

(I'm not shocked in the slightest).

In my opinion, Flight Simming can be done as professionally or as casually as anyone wants.
Whether it's someone trying to land and stop a 747 at min. fuel at Saba after doing a barrel roll on approach or replicating a full-blown, IFR-cleared transatlantic flight with frequent position reporting, ending with a diversion at destination due to RVR falling below minima.

A lot of us here are not aviation pros, so we tend to like replicating real-world ops as much as possible. That's why we often get threads like this one here, asking about the realism level of what we are using to replicate flying.

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

1 hour ago, jon b said:

I can detect F737NG’s distinctive  British sarcastic humour in his post, which probably doesn’t come across well written down on the internet and read by those not native to these shores 😀 I don’t think for one moment he is actually shocked, at my severe lack of professionalism  😉😄

I used to watch the Bennie Hill show back in the day, so I am an aficionado of British humor.😂 

Vic green

9 hours ago, Vlad Tepes3 said:

👀 I was shocked even then, he went to bought the $300+ tiller anyway

11 hours ago, jon b said:

@F737NG

flight simulation is all about fantasy of one sorts or another, and the fantasy for me is just turning up and blasting off without all the associated BS that seems to go with flying nowadays ! 😀

You sound like my son, who flies the PMDG 744 upside down and does slam dunk landings on impossible airfields.

I take all the time needed to load everything.

(I suppose when you are retired and live on your own, then you need to fill the time).

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.