Sign in to follow this  
guenseli

FlightSim.to is going to make money

23 minutes ago, hansb57 said:

What a ridiculous statement to think that people want "everything" for free and/or those people use pirate sites

You would be surprised about what you wrote and what people want.

Milviz claimed they had over 200,000 unpaid downloads for their Corsair.

1 minute ago, jbdbow1970 said:

You would be surprised about what you wrote and what people want.

That is just disgusting.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

CPU Ryzen 7800X 3D  RAM 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR5 6000MHz
GPU 24GB ASUS TUF GEFORCE RTX 4090 OC EDITION OG Monitor MSI MPG 321URX QD-OLED 32 inch HDR1000 
Internal Storage 1TB SOLIDIGM P44 PRO GEN 4 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD  External Storage Three 4Tb Hard Disks 

8 minutes ago, jbdbow1970 said:

Absolutely but how many people now donate to Flightsim.to to keep the servers going? maybe this the reason they have decided to go to a premium model in the first place. There is always some that will pay for a product no matter price but there are too many out the try to squeeze out whatever they can for nothing than when they don't get it they complain about it. I want to eat everyday I don't expect to get it for free though.

I used to donate money to Simbrief, about every 4 months or so, and I am retired on a fixed income. I bet there were not many people that did that, some making 6 figures. 

• Like 1

spacer.png

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020  PMDG 777    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

Well, I have nothing against paying something but when someone comes and claim that he will provide freee mods for free and then after comes the "you pay or you'll be slow", I'm... mitiged and expectative.

I know a website have a cost, or a forum. I had one in the past and it was free. It was about games walktrough and I had many users. But never, I decided "now you will pay".

I like things clear at the begining. Remember also that modders are offering their work for free, so we have here "someone" who will make money from the work offered free by others (the modders). Someone mentioned Nexusmod but lately, many modders have left there and it was also, if I remember, for a question of money. If flightsim.to said at begining, they will offer a pay service, it will be ok, we go there or not but we know where we go. But the thingh "ok, now that we have a good number of users, we can go to the step 2.. money", well... And, honestly, I don't believe one second the "tons of users asked to pay".

All of this said, if some people wants to pay, well ok, everyone is free with his/her decisions. For me, it's just a question of ethic, not really a drama.

Edited by Seven7
  • Like 2

Intel i9 - GPU RTX 3080 - 32 gig RAM HyperX Fury DDR 4

6 minutes ago, Seven7 said:

Well, I have nothing against paying something but when someone comes and claim that he will provide freee mods for free and then after comes the "you pay or you'll be slow", I'm... mitiged and expectative.

He probably didn't realize how cheap simmers could be, and when he saw the little money that was donated, he decided not to run the site at his own expense. 

spacer.png

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020  PMDG 777    ,PMDG 737-600-800 Fenix A320, FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, , Milviz C 310

10 minutes ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

That is just disgusting.

Its also reality.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

He probably didn't realize how cheap simmers could be, and when he saw the little money that was donated, he decided not to run the site at his own expense. 

This is true but I don't think the guy is trying to make money off the site like the OP suggested though. He is just trying to keep it afloat but not on his expense and some here can't accept that (not naming you).

Edited by jbdbow1970
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, jbdbow1970 said:

Its also reality.

I kinda got that from...

24 minutes ago, jbdbow1970 said:

GPU 24GB ASUS TUF GEFORCE RTX 4090 OC EDITION OG Monitor MSI MPG 321URX QD-OLED 32 inch HDR1000 
Internal Storage 1TB SOLIDIGM P44 PRO GEN 4 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD  External Storage Three 4Tb Hard Disks 

You can host a heck of a website if 1% of the 300.000 users pay a 15 euro (f.i.) yearly subscription.

I9-14900K,  Gigabyte B760 Aorus Elite AX, RTX 4080, 32 ram.1 tb nvme  M.2 SSD, MSFS 2020 on 2 tb nvme m.2 SSD

'Premium' depends on what that entails and at what cost.

It's nothing different from flyawaysimulation.com's "Pro" access nor simviation.com's "Express" membership. There's a significant download restriction on both of these sites if using the free access.
Flightsim.to need to find the right balance between a price that covers their costs, but does not kill the level of interest that the site has created since MSFS was released. The important thing to watch is what level of new content (quality and quantity) is available 6 to 12 months after the Premium membership is introduced.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

6 hours ago, guenseli said:

From their website news:

"

• Premium: We have heard your calls for an optional premium membership without ads and long waiting times and are already working on implementing this."

I do not critizise this and they have it well deserved to make some money (for a hopefully reasonable price for us).

But I find it always "funny" if first download speeds will be throttled and ads would be placed to offer some month later ad free and fast premium membership. I doubt that there where many "calls for a premium membership" 😉

I hate marketing speech, maybe that is it then.

I hear you, however I can see most of us would end up doing the same if we were in their shoes. Business is business and it is what it is.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

1 hour ago, Seven7 said:

I don't believe one second the "tons of users asked to pay".

Neither do I, but I do believe people asked for a premium service for faster downloads and no adverts. 

As someone has mentioned, they host mostly free downloads with their site. We'll have to see how the folks who provide their files free will feel about it. I for one try to donate when I find useful files and was actually looking for a way to donate to fs.to yesterday. I didn't see a way. 

I just hope that they have breached it with these developers. If the files continue to be uploaded for free distribution and they are satisfied with that, then I don't see a problem.

From the user's end, we know it can continue for free or use it as an optional premium membership.

Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi  i9900K, 64gb memory, 3070ti

Building: X670 Aorus Elite AX, X9750x3d, GSkill DDR5 6000 CL30-38-38-96 32gb, Gibabyte 3070ti, Noctua NH D15

Scrooge McDuck isn't going to pay!

spacer.png

• Like 2

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

5 minutes ago, Fielder said:

Scrooge McDuck isn't going to pay!

Uses a copyrighted picture whose watermark remains in place (as it is the free version) to make your point...
Kudos, my man!

• Like 3

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter