Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Guys VR is the future for FS. I can't go back to 2D

If someone is able to keep up with that thing on his head for more than 20 minutes, maybe. I've used VR since the times of Aerofly FS2 back in 2017, five years ago, and really, not for me.

Cheers, Ed

MSFS Steam - Win10 Home x64 // Rig: Corsair Graphite 760T Full Tower - ASUS MBoard Maximus XII Hero Z490 - CPU Intel i9-10900K - 64GB RAM - MSI RTX2080 Super 8GB - [1xNVMe M.2 1TB + 1xNVMe M.2 2TB (Samsung)] + [1xSSD 1TB + 1xSSD 2TB (Crucial)] + [1xSSD 1TB (Samsung)] + 1 HDD Seagate 2TB + 1 HDD Seagate External 4TB - Monitor LG 29UC97C UWHD Curved - PSU Corsair RM1000x - VR Oculus Rift // MSFS Steam - Win 10 Home x64 - Gaming Laptop CUK ASUS Strix - CPU Intel i7-8750H - 32GB RAM - RTX2070 8GB - SSD 2TB + HDD 2TB // Thrustmaster FCS & MS XBOX Controllers

Had a Oculus Rift. 

Sent it back after 3 days of testing. It may be the future - but sure not for everyone. 

13 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

I must be using a different Oculus Quest than you.....?

That's the same one I use and the cable did nothing more than allow access to my computer files (which I never tried).  It showed it was powering the device but I saw no indication of that as I kept having a power drain and it did nothing to stabilize the WiFi connection as it kept going offline when plugged in.  I'll admit maybe I did something wrong but as of now it's a mute point as I have the HP Reverb G2.

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

16 hours ago, Dillon said:

Agreed, you can't please everyone.  As I fly for real VR is a must after I got it setup correctly (visuals, smoothness, etc).   Just like VCR's and Blu-ray, it will only get better with time.

I also have the reverb G2 and agree with you on this. Once I tried VR I could never go back to flat panels.  I also use my G2 for Iracing.

• Like 1

Mike Avallone

9900k@5.0,Corsair H115i cooler,ASUS 2080TI,GSkill 32GB pc3600 ram, 2 WD black NVME ssd drives, ASUS maximus hero MB

12 hours ago, FlyIce said:

I have been flying VR exclusively in the past few months and it's incredible. Visually it's so close to flying the real thing and every flight control and visual in VR feel just about as natural too. I use VR to practice my real flights and it's been tremendously useful. 

My major gripe is the display quality, while pretty good with G2 + 3090, it's still far from been good enough both in resolution and fps. It's just unfortunately we're limited by the current hardware, both the VR goggle and graphics card. In addition, while flying VR for VFR feels natural, flying IFR is not easy. I recently bought a GNS 530 gear from Flightsimbuilder and I had to learn to use it blindly in VR. It works, but certainly not ideal and hard to imagine to interact with more complex panels by blind touch. It probably will take quite some years too to solve such problem in VR. 

But, I'm confident when I'm too old to fly the real thing the VR will be so much better and improved, that I won't sacrifice so much by only flying on the armchair. The future, thanks to VR, is bright and exciting!

Concerning your performance, check your 'Game Mode' settings and 'Graphic' settings.  This made a huge different in performance for me both in VR and 2D.  See video below:

FS2020 

I’d go back to VR when the devices are more like glasses, the FOV is at least 150, and the picture is as good as 2k. 
Until then I’m happy with TrackIR. Who knows how many years it will take, or if it ever gets there. 

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the warning Dillon I won't go there until I'm willing to part with 2D as it sounds like there may be no turning back.  I'm not in a hurry to be more wowed than I already am, like to drink coffee and surf the web at altitude, sometimes have lunch and be up and down out of my chair to tend to this and that. I don't know cuz I've never used VR but it seems like VR would def impact my typical habits and right now I'm not suffering as I say from lack of wow.  Thanks for the heads up it sounds amazing but the 'no turning back' piece has left me paradoxically with a distinct desire to NOT try VR, at least for now 😉

• Upvote 2

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Last week i got my Varjo Aero and my mind is blowing away.

These headset makes it possible to fly also airliners with FMC , becouse now i can read it.

It s like i see at my 4k-screen ! Absolutly amazing!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, edpatino said:

If someone is able to keep up with that thing on his head for more than 20 minutes, maybe. I've used VR since the times of Aerofly FS2 back in 2017, five years ago, and really, not for me.

Some of the headsets on the drawing board, such as the upcoming offering from Oculus are beginning to look more and more like a pair of regular eyeglasses, due to the advent of pancake lens technology as seen in the Vive flow.

HTC-Vive-Flow-VR.jpeg?w=1024&quality=82&

Edited by HiFlyer
  • Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I can see that I might have to give this another try. I have the G2's that I bought 2-3 months ago. After finally figuring out how to use them I tried one flight without my yoke, TQ or pedals, and just flew with the mouse. I have used them to play Beat Sabre, and my Grandson did play Alyx on them. I just have been playing around with NeoFLY and haven't done back and tried them in MSFS again.

Ryzen 7 5800 x3D, Asus Tuf Gaming X570 Plus, Geforce GTX 4080 F.E., 32GB Corsair PC-3600, 1TB Samsung Evo 970 nVME SSD, 1TB Samsung Evo 870 SSD, 500GB Samsung Evo 870 SSD

2 hours ago, MSFLYER5856 said:

I take it you really need to try it out in person as the youtube videos being in 2D don't really show how good VR is ?

Yes. I don't get those people that post YT-movies in order to convince people to get VR. Video's can't show you how it is, period. Impossible. It's like showing someone a YT-movie of a person standing in the rain in order to show that someone how it FEELS (!) to stand in the rain. Bad comparison but I can't think of another. 😉 You have to try it yourself: there is no other way to get the feel of the real thing. Impossible.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, tup61 said:

Impossible.

Weeeeeeell.......

I've been looking at various types of stereo-pairs since I was a kid, and actually, when somebody on YouTube shows a twin-image video, my eyes tend to automatically combine them into a viable 3D image.

Its not that hard, and I think people actually could get somewhat of an impression of VR, missing only the fact of the ability to freely move your head to look around....

Interestingly, I have a relative who has lost his vision in one eye, but still thinks VR is amazing because of that ability to freely look around, combined with the fact that you are in an environment where all other visual stimuli is unavailable due to the headset.

I think its that immersion almost more than anything, that grabs people.

Edited by HiFlyer
  • Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

19 hours ago, caneman said:

Have a question I've been wanting to ask.  I have one eye that's 20-20 vision ... and the other, not so good.  Not really correctable and and see mostly blurry.

So, is VR possible with just one eye?    

There are a few companies that make prescriptions lenses that can be inserted into your vr headset. a Google search should provide a good return.

Bill Moore

4 hours ago, MSFLYER5856 said:

But it can also screw up your eyesight long term if overused, is expensive for a good uint, and requires a strong graphics card that are 2x the price right now.

First off the eyesight concern is interesting. Guess I'll have to back off a bit or just see for myself.  So far I've noticed no eye strain.

To your second point, after all the money this community dumped into hardware to make FSX run over the years, price is not an issue to make the most out of the sim.  FSX was horrendous in what it took to get it to run 'stuttery smooth'.  It became the defacto standard for most to get a blazing computer, video card, as much memory you could throw at your computer.  It was ridiculous what it took/takes to run sims like FSX/P3D smooth (in the case of FSX I don't think it ever reached FS2020's smoothness).  The latest version of XPlane requires more hardware than FS2020 to look half as good.  So getting a VR headset for a moderate video card to work in a system that runs FS2020 well is not a big expense in comparison to the FSX days.  The expense is the decent VR headset, the video card should be fine if it runs FS2020 well enough.

Edited by Dillon
  • Like 2

FS2020 

I bought into VR and like OP I was wow this is so awsome, never want to go back to 2d flying etc etc. But after the wow factor wore off I kinda couldnt stand the bad image quality and went back to monitor. Waiting for the day VR have the same image quality as monitors. I find VR only good for one thing and thats adult entertainment...:p