Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Guys VR is the future for FS. I can't go back to 2D

10 minutes ago, mrueedi said:

For me the main advantage with VR TrackIR is the superior orientation flying visual patterns. Also, to be honest, I not once succeded to fly a pattern in a satisfying way in pre-VR-TrackIR times. Looking around was too cumbersome and unatural.

In VR With TrackIR, in downwind and base you move your head for a split second to check where the runway is. Getting the moments right, when you need to start turning is so easy and realistic in VR with TrackIR. Its a pure joy.

😉 Seriously, you took the words right out of my mouth, only I would say TrackIR whenever you said VR LOL What you posted I've posted numerous times already but then about TrackIR. I think we can agree on the fact that some sort of headtracking device is great and awesome and a must have. 😉

Edited by tup61
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, tup61 said:

I think we can agree on the fact that some sort of headtracking device is great

With TrackIR you are still looking at something but you are not inside something.

Turning the head say 90° obviously does not recreate the view when you turn the head 90° sitting in an aircraft. Human mind is able to grasp where the objects in 3D are located by considering unconsciously the angle I am looking at. That part is not there in TrackIR. In VR seeing the runway threshold when looking 90° to the side means, that my airplane is exactly located abeam the threshold. You get that information in 0.1 seconds.

• Like 2

The situational awereness is superior in VR, no doubt about that. I just need it too be better visually. After i expirienced it and went back to 2D it almost had ruined it for me, I couldnt stand 2D anymore and had to relearn myself to like it, and really regretted that i tried VR. Now im okay with 2D again, and dont want go back to VR before the image clarity is much better...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, blueshark747 said:

The VR experience with stereoscopic off is just as immersive...

😲

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

VR is the next thing for sure. However I just fly in my pitch black cinema room on a 3meter screen in 4K, so far overall I found this to be the best experience when considering all things. Of course a head tracker is a great addon.

• Like 2

Simming since FS 98. MSFS rig - Ryzen 3600 4.2Ghz - 32GB RAM 3600Mhz - Motherboard MSI 570 A Pro - RTX 2080 Ti -all overclocked - 2xNVME storage. PSU Corsair HX850i platinum. Average 30Fps on 4K ultra.

11 hours ago, JSmith2112 said:

I have the same problem and have tried a few 3D gadgets over the years. It's been a no-go every time. No depth perception.

That's what I was afraid of as well.  Really appreciate all the feedback on this forum though.     

Apparently the Varjo Aero is looking like a generational leap forward, but we are talking some high level pro enthusiast (i.e. high disposable income).  The reviews from VR Flight Sim guy on a 3090 were glowing.

One thing MSFS does quite well is entering and exiting VR.  I have a button mapped to my yoke and I often do find it convenient to swap back and forth for say take off and landing.  I do love to taxi and take off in VR.  Swap back to 2d once things have settled.  Cruise a long in 2D and somewhere on final swap back to VR since greasing a landing in VR is probably 10x easier.  

• Like 1

On 1/18/2022 at 4:12 PM, MrBitstFlyer said:

I have used VR from the beginning, but not for flight sim.  I raced on iRacing for a few years in VR. I play several games in VR.  The problem for me with VR is nothing external can be used.  I plan and fly with Foreflight on an iPad.  I have a couple of StreamDecks.

VR is OK for a quick blast for the experience, which is very good, but it isn't suited to long complex flights with external apps and hardware.

Been using VR since back in the FlyInside days. Back then you had to either be fully in VR or not. Using internal VR allows the user to jump in and out of VR throughout the flight. As a real pilot and PilotEdge member I use my Garmin Pilot app for all my flights which is tied to the sim. Where once I use to use VR for 100% of the flight. I now just use it for takeoff and landing to get a real feel of depth and ease of my surroundings on the ground.  

Edited by Ident

1 hour ago, TravelRunner404 said:

but we are talking some high level pro enthusiast (i.e. high disposable income)

I normally purchase these types of things, but this time I didn’t. The price is outrageous. 

This has truly turned into a 2D panel versus a virtual cockpit type cra&p fest.😌  We saw what happened with that and the same will happen again with this technology in the coming years.:ph34r:

Edited by Dillon

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

2 hours ago, Ianrivaldosmith said:

I normally purchase these types of things, but this time I didn’t. The price is outrageous. 

I look at it differently. The price of entry for the first VR headsets like the Oculus Rift was $700 and change, if I remember correctly.

Though to be fair, Oculus did make you feel like it was worth it. The headset was premium, the packaging was premium... the whole thing was a slick deal.

Things went downward a bit from there. The Samsung Odyssey was the beginning of the cheapness, while my Oculus Rift s turned out to be a dead end that was never supported like it should have been.

Now I have an Oculus Quest 2, and the support from Facebook, as far as maximizing the potential of the headset has been outrageously good, even though the headset itself is an obvious compromise to keep the costs low.

Enter the next wave.

The Meta Quest seems, with its pancake lenses and other technologies, like it might be closest thing to the game changer that the original Oculus was, and I'm looking forward to it.

Even though it'll be more expensive than the Quest 2, its technologies should put it away ahead of the original Oculus at a price that's actually much cheaper.....

Which is a long-winded way of saying that barring niche hardware outriders like the Varjo, VR, from my prospective, despite travelling a bit of a crooked path, has generally been trending toward becoming better, smaller, and cheaper.

Edited by HiFlyer
  • Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I purchased the Oculus Rift when it came out and thought it was kinda cool. I couldn't wear it for longer periods of flight though, the feeling of strapping a heavy 'scuba mask' to my head just detracted from the experience. The biggest issue I had was the image quality. Going from super high quality screens to the Oculus really didn't sit right with me.

A little later I purchased the REALSIMGEAR G1000 suite and the GNS 530 with the fancy enclosure etc. I can't really use those with VR. Same issues with Saitek panels too.

Hopefully sometime in the future someone will figure it all out and we can enjoy MSFS in VR with high quality and use fancy peripherals.

10 hours ago, MSFLYER5856 said:

So you still have to use a mouse to control the knobs as opposed to my custom build mobiflight panel ?

Custom built....   And then I fly a different plane and none of that panel aligns.......    Yes, for the time being you are using the mouse to interact.  But I am looking above me to turn on the ADIR system, down to the right for the TCAS / Transponder,  out the side windows for traffic at taxiways, runways...   The gloves can't be too far off.   Not trying to convert anyone, but home built cockpits are great for a particular aircraft, but aren't going to dynamically change with each aircraft type.

1 hour ago, RICHUK said:

I purchased the Oculus Rift when it came out and thought it was kinda cool. I couldn't wear it for longer periods of flight though, the feeling of strapping a heavy 'scuba mask' to my head just detracted from the experience. The biggest issue I had was the image quality. Going from super high quality screens to the Oculus really didn't sit right with me.

A little later I purchased the REALSIMGEAR G1000 suite and the GNS 530 with the fancy enclosure etc. I can't really use those with VR. Same issues with Saitek panels too.

Hopefully sometime in the future someone will figure it all out and we can enjoy MSFS in VR with high quality and use fancy peripherals.

Not to go off topic, but how are you liking the realsimgear stuff? It’s pretty expensive but some days I’m very tempted to pick up their gns 530

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

word not allowed you Dillon!!! This thread made me connect my VR gear, fire up the Twin Otter and make a flight. First time actually in MSFS, used it for DCS before. And wow, crazy immersive, had totally forgotten about this word not allowed. Now I ruined pancake mode expirience again... How much for that Arjo thingy again?:p. Ordered a 5000$ computer last week, cant wait to increase the settings when it arrive:D....

• Like 1