Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Guys VR is the future for FS. I can't go back to 2D

52 minutes ago, regis9 said:

I was teetering on the fence, saw that HP had the Reverb G2 on for $150 off, that knocked me off the fence, mine is on it's way!

good choice, you'll love it!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

On 1/19/2022 at 8:14 AM, caneman said:

Have a question I've been wanting to ask.  I have one eye that's 20-20 vision ... and the other, not so good.  Not really correctable and and see mostly blurry.

So, is VR possible with just one eye?    

No, because 2 eyes are needed to provide the depth of 3D, sorry to say.

On 1/21/2022 at 4:57 AM, caneman said:

That's what I was afraid of as well.  Really appreciate all the feedback on this forum though.     

Hi Caneman. I'd imagine what ever depth perception you currently have during your every day vision experience, will be the same for you in VR. 

On 2/8/2022 at 11:11 PM, nojwod said:

No, because 2 eyes are needed to provide the depth of 3D, sorry to say.

I think @canemanwas really meaning to ask if VR was possible with one good eye, not just one eye. To that I say that if your bad eye is good enough for you to perceive depth in the real world, then VR will provide you a similar experience. My wife is a good example of this, with one blurry eye, and she has used my VR headset a few times and acheived a good experience.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Got my Reverb G2 two weeks ago.  After a fair amount of research and tweaking...I've got things pretty much right where I want them.  I don't see myself going back to pancake.  What an experience.

• Like 1

Another great thing about VR is the correct sense of direction.  Imagine being in a stable hover in a helicopter and tweaking your position.  Forward on the cyclic moves you forward, left goes left, etc.  Now look hard right.  In VR the directional movements are the same, but if you move your monitor view around, then forward goes left (I think), and so on.  It's great coming into a landing on a helicopter and being able to look all around with perfect directional control (well limited only by my lack of skill).

19 minutes ago, Grindathotte said:

Another great thing about VR is the correct sense of direction.  Imagine being in a stable hover in a helicopter and tweaking your position.  Forward on the cyclic moves you forward, left goes left, etc.  Now look hard right.  In VR the directional movements are the same, but if you move your monitor view around, then forward goes left (I think), and so on.  It's great coming into a landing on a helicopter and being able to look all around with perfect directional control (well limited only by my lack of skill).

Yup this very advantage in VR is how I can do such crazy things with rotary.

Edited by blueshark747

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

I’ve had some time to use my G2 now and I’m somewhere in the middle.  Some thoughts below, with the caveat that I likely need to spend more time tweaking settings etc.  I’m using openxr and in game settings that are largely the MSFS default:

- visual quality is good in the cockpit, far better than my old oculus unit.  I definitely notice the “sweet spot” where the image is sharpest right in the middle of my view.

- visual quality outside the cockpit is just ok.

- the immersion is of course amazing, seeing the cockpits in 3D and feeling like I can reach out and touch them is really impressive.

- I still get a bit annoyed with having to sometimes lift the head set up for certain keyboard commands, some sort of mixed reality or ability to see through temporarily would be great.

- probably takes some getting used to, but my max time without starting to feel eye strain is around 45 minutes so far.

- flying the H145 in VR is absolutely amazing…I’ve never felt so in control of a helicopter before.  The sense of motion really makes flying a chopper so much easier.  I never realized just how quick I was climbing when I yank back on the collective until I did so in VR and felt a bit queasy lol…this for me is where VR shines the most in MSFS.

- I have some external hardware which I certainly miss using in VR.  I’ve tried using it by feel but without being able to see it I find it too difficult.  Same challenge with my navigraph charts.

- generally I think I’ll continue to use both VR and 2D depending on what I’m doing.  More casual flying, sightseeing would be in VR but I think I still prefer 2D for more procedural flying.  I think simming on a 55” 4K tv with hardware provides a good level of immersion as well, just a different type than VR.

- VR in MSFS (and other sims) puts a beating even on my 2080ti.

Some MSFS thoughts if I could go slightly off topic:

- I haven’t got it working with DCS yet, I expect that will be a good time, especially in the Huey.

- I’ve been doing some sim racing in it and while it’s a cool effect, provides good visibility and the ability to really look into turns, I don’t get the sense of speed I feel like it should get.  I’ve read other people talking about how they feel like they’re actually at risk of smashing into a wall if they mess up a turn but I just don’t get that.  

All in all I’m not disappointed with my purchase, and will use it from time to time, but I’m not ready to give up 2D simming just yet.

Edited by regis9

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Hi Dave,

someone here mentioned the “torch on” and “ torch off” voice command. 
stating “torch on” creates a low res but useful enough black and white circular view of what you can see outside of your goggles. Useful for seeing your keyboard or any other external devices. Simply say “torch off” to toggle off the view. 
I hope this helps. 
Cheers Terry

• Like 2

Oh that is really great, I didn’t know that, I’ll dig in further, thanks!

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Having borrowed a Quedt 2 for a couple of weeks I am off to make a purchase.  I can see myself using both depending on the mood I’m in.  Would like to go for the Reverb but the price seems to have doubled in last couple of months, £300 v £1000 , it’s a no brainier for the Quest 2  for the  smount of hours I get a chance to fly. Quest will tie me over until the next generation of headsets come out.

Both are different experiences , both are great .  Only flown default and modded so far as only had MSFS for a few weeks 

3080rtx  on a i7 12700k with 32 Gig ddr5. 2gig Ssd

Quest 2

Windows 11