Sign in to follow this  
Rob G

In need of some serious feedback

Hi everyone. I am extremely frustrated. Sorry if this post gets long but I need help. You can see from my signature that I have a beefy machine. Now I have played and played for weeks, trying dozens and dozens of configurations for VR. Let me clarify my problem: it is NOT FPS. I am at the point where I can get anywhere from 30-55 FPS depending on where I try to fly. Developer mode always just says 'Limited by Main Thread'. Fine, I understand that. The problem is that whatever I do, my whole image, from the cockpit to the outside scenery, there is so much shimmering/flickering, whatever you want to call it, that it looks terrible. The landscape is wavering, the cockpit image is so shimmering that I can barely read anything but the largest number/letters in the cockpit. Sure, if I zoom in REALLY CLOSE, then I can read stuff, but it looks like I'm on my knees in the cockpit, staring at point blank range at the screens/dials.

I have literally been trying different settings for two weeks now and can't get that to stop. I don't know if its the sim/sim settings, something I have set wrong somewhere, or the Quest 2. What's even more frustrating is that I am a retired computer engineer, yet this has me completely stymied.

So ..........

1. Suggestions of what I may be doing wrong (Nvidia Control Panel, Oculus Debug Tool, Oculus app, Sim)

2. Am I the only one chronically suffering from this shimmering (especially from lighter colors but not exclusively)?

3. Is there truly a different headset that doesn't have this sort of issue? I don't have any issue getting another headset as long as I am not wasting my money

Please folks, I am desperate for insights on what's going on. I have researched until I don't even want to look at it anymore. I have a very good monitor (ACER X38S), but VR is what I want for flight simming.

HELP!!!! 

Case: (Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic XL), PSU: (MEG Ai300p pcie 5 & ATX 3.0), Motherboard: (ASUS TUF Gaming x670E-PLUS WIFI 6E), CPU: (AMD Ryzen 7 7800-X3D) 

Memory: (G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6000), GPU: (Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo). CPU Cooler: (ASUS ROG Strix LC RGB 360) 

Fans: (7 Corsair LL Series 120mm RGB)

I don't run VR but I definitely get the shimmering (assuming you mean what appears to be a lack of anti aliasing) - especially near the horizon and especially when there are bodies of water/rivers etc.

I'm not certain about the cockpit though.  Have you disabled motion blur?  Or I wonder if it's something related to V sync?  Or perhaps related to IPD?  https://support.oculus.com/articles/getting-started/getting-started-with-quest-2/ipd-quest-2/

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

3 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

I don't run VR but I definitely get the shimmering (assuming you mean what appears to be a lack of anti aliasing) - especially near the horizon and especially when there are bodies of water/rivers etc.

I'm not certain about the cockpit though.  Have you disabled motion blur?  Or I wonder if it's something related to V sync?  Or perhaps related to IPD? 

Motion Blur only exists in the PC settings, not the VR settings. My IPD is set correctly, in fact I am using Reloptix custom lenses. All games other than MSFS are crystal clear with no shimmering whatsoever.

Case: (Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic XL), PSU: (MEG Ai300p pcie 5 & ATX 3.0), Motherboard: (ASUS TUF Gaming x670E-PLUS WIFI 6E), CPU: (AMD Ryzen 7 7800-X3D) 

Memory: (G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6000), GPU: (Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo). CPU Cooler: (ASUS ROG Strix LC RGB 360) 

25 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

oh wait wrong kinda feedback 😂

Very funny :-(. Just kidding, I can always use a good laugh :-). What I really need though is useful feedback.........

oculas--turn off asynchronous timewarp (motion reprojection for openxr)?  this can result in shimmering/juddering.

i9-10900k @ 5.1GHz 32G XMP-3200 | RTX3090 | 3T m.2 | Win11 | vkb-gf ultimate & pedals | virpil cm3 throttle | 55" 4k UHDTV | HP R-G2 VR | DCS

Rob...I don't presently run MSFS but recently I had a similar circumstance with DCS.  It had been working fine and my other VR titles were working fine.  After no luck searching for a quick fix on-line, I found that in my case, it was due to Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling being turned on (I don't know why this was an issue when it had not been before; however, both the sim and Windows had recent updates).  I turned off  Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling and the shimmering/jitter was eliminated.  Hope this helps.

Right-click your desktop.  Select Display Settings. Scroll the right panel down and select Graphics settings. The option to enable/disable Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling will be the first item on the screen (a re-boot is required for the change to take effect).

2 hours ago, Rob G said:

Hi everyone. I am extremely frustrated. Sorry if this post gets long but I need help. You can see from my signature that I have a beefy machine. Now I have played and played for weeks, trying dozens and dozens of configurations for VR. Let me clarify my problem: it is NOT FPS. I am at the point where I can get anywhere from 30-55 FPS depending on where I try to fly. Developer mode always just says 'Limited by Main Thread'. Fine, I understand that. The problem is that whatever I do, my whole image, from the cockpit to the outside scenery, there is so much shimmering/flickering, whatever you want to call it, that it looks terrible. The landscape is wavering, the cockpit image is so shimmering that I can barely read anything but the largest number/letters in the cockpit. Sure, if I zoom in REALLY CLOSE, then I can read stuff, but it looks like I'm on my knees in the cockpit, staring at point blank range at the screens/dials.

I have literally been trying different settings for two weeks now and can't get that to stop. I don't know if its the sim/sim settings, something I have set wrong somewhere, or the Quest 2. What's even more frustrating is that I am a retired computer engineer, yet this has me completely stymied.

So ..........

1. Suggestions of what I may be doing wrong (Nvidia Control Panel, Oculus Debug Tool, Oculus app, Sim)

2. Am I the only one chronically suffering from this shimmering (especially from lighter colors but not exclusively)?

3. Is there truly a different headset that doesn't have this sort of issue? I don't have any issue getting another headset as long as I am not wasting my money

Please folks, I am desperate for insights on what's going on. I have researched until I don't even want to look at it anymore. I have a very good monitor (ACER X38S), but VR is what I want for flight simming.

HELP!!!! 

Try these settings, even if they seem paradoxical.....

Then work backwards to your individual tastes.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

47 minutes ago, kdfw__ said:

oculas--turn off asynchronous timewarp (motion reprojection for openxr)?  this can result in shimmering/juddering.

Already off but thanks.

1 hour ago, HiFlyer said:

Try these settings, even if they seem paradoxical.....

Then work backwards to your individual tastes.

The settings in the video have actually yielded the best result so far. It's far from perfect but a vast improvement from the failures I was having before. Not sure though how I set ASW in OTT to 18 yet achieve 40-45 FPS in VR in the sim. Well, you said it was paradoxical and it is. I will still play with settings but now I at least have a good starting point. Thanks so much.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Are you able to use the VR headset (desktop mirroring) without your desktop monitor connected?  I know this may sound crazy, but if you can boot direct to VR headset without needing a desktop monitor, then try that.

The other option is to:

1. Manually download latest Oculus drivers
  2. unload the VR drivers (make sure you wipe everything out for Oculus and you might need to remove registry entries also)
  3. Manually Download latest nVidia drivers for your 3090
  4. Run DDU in SafeMode to remove all nVidia drivers
  5. Unplug you network cable and/or disable wireless before rebooting out of Safe Mode
  6. Install nVidia Drivers manually
  7. Reboot
  8. Install the Oculus drivers
  9. Don't overclock your 3090
  10. Delete the UserCfg.opt file for MSFS (it will get regenerated)
  11. Test VR again

Cheers, Rob.

I would not know how to get into VR without my monitor. How would that work? The Quest 2 talks to the PC either through a cable or Airlink but either one needs the Oculus app. If you know a way I would love to hear about it.

I don't have an Oculus but a Reverb(1). I found that the OpenXR NIS Tool for MSFS. while it doesn't completely remove shimmering, drastically reduces it.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/openxr-nis-upscaling-software-release-thread/482927/557

You'll need some reading as the thread is pretty long and technically but there are some good settings as a start. Notably, don't forget to deactivate MSFS sharpening in UserCfg.opt if you use this tool.

My present settings are 100/100/90/60 (OpenXR scaling factor/TAA in-game/OpenXR tool scaling/OpenXR tool sharpening). I am not sure if/how this works for the Oculus, just go though the thread to find out. You can see if it works by pressing Crtl+F1 switching NIS scaling on/off.

The tool is developed be a developer of the OpenXR/Khronos project and a much improved version will be released within the coming weeks.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

@Rob G I don't have such a beefy setup as yours and I do struggle with the shimmering and waving a lot (that much that I actualy dropped VR...).

I am curious: what "Performance Headroom" does the Oculus Debug Tool give you? Mine is way down somewhere to -100% with mediocre settings (I run at ultra in a non VR environment).

Gerald K. - Germany

Core i7 10700 / ASUS ROG Gaming-E / ASUS Strix  RTX 3090 OC / 32 Gb RAM GSKILL.

"Flightstick" = X56 HOTAS RGB Logitech