Sign in to follow this  
Wakner

Kodiak vs Cessna 208B Grand Caravan EX Improvement Mod

Hey Folks

Quick question given both aircraft fulfill similar roles:

For those of you who have used them both, how does Magraina's Cessna 208B Grand Caravan EX Improvement Mod (https://flightsim.to/file/16350/cessna-208b-grand-caravan-ex-improvement-mod) stand up in comparison to the Simworks Kodiak?

Not after flag-waving opinions please - just objective observations to help me decide whether to invest in the Kodiak when there's a freeware alternative.

Thanks in advance!

Ads

Ads Kluczinsky

3 minutes ago, Wakner said:

Hey Folks

Quick question given both aircraft fulfill similar roles:

For those of you who have used them both, how does Magraina's Cessna 208B Grand Caravan EX Improvement Mod (https://flightsim.to/file/16350/cessna-208b-grand-caravan-ex-improvement-mod) stand up in comparison to the Simworks Kodiak?

Not after flag-waving opinions please - just objective observations to help me decide whether to invest in the Kodiak when there's a freeware alternative.

Thanks in advance!

Ads

This is the only thing holding me back from purchasing the kodiak, pretty similar to the C208..I’ll be following! 

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

I think the problem with this question is this. Most users, including myself, that purchased the Kodiak, frankly wouldn't waste their time flying the C208, when they could be flying their Kodiak. So you are either going to have C 208 users, or Kodiak users for the most part, and flying comparisons in my opinion, will be pretty rare. 

Edited by Bobsk8

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Fair enough - I was sort of expecting that! Just asking on the off-chance that someone has done both.

Ads Kluczinsky

I'm desperately trying to fight that urge, especially how I've written the Twotter off!

Ads Kluczinsky

Avionically there's no difference, both use the G1000NXI from WT. And the default's C208s appearance is not to be sniffed at either. Obviously the Kodiak being smaller means it can operate from shorter runways.

So the core differences would be the way it handles, sounds and if there is more in-depth systems modelling (although the systems are fairly simple on a Caravan I believe, just some quirks like power loss and ITT/EGT increase when using the centrifugal seperator).

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

I bought the Kodiak a couple of weeks ago, not having spent any time with the 208 — but the recommendations from everyone had my interest piqued.

Two weeks later, it feels like the best 29.99 I've spent on this sim. The visuals are excellent, the sounds incredible but it's the flight model that is so good, that I can't bring myself to fly any other aircraft at the moment.

The way the aircraft behaves in turbulence, cross winds, headwinds etc is just sublime and I noticed last night that I can now reliably tell the wind direction and relative strength just by the feel of the aircraft and looking out of the window rather than viewing the wind data on the NXi itself.

The aircraft has so far appeared to perform by the numbers in the provided POH excerpts in the manual (and is pretty close to the POH I have from the previous gen Kodiak from online).

In one flight the other day, I used an advanced Foreflight profile to plan my trip (including W&B, wind forecasting and fuel etc). It's probably a lot of luck, but after landing I went over the numbers and found that my flight time was on the money, and I'd burned 1lb less than estimated.

This thing is a beaut!

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Wakner said:

I'm desperately trying to fight that urge, especially how I've written the Twotter off!

Oh, I bought the Twotter and instantly regretted (and deleted) it but as I would have been happy to pay twice the amount for the Kodiak I think I can live with it. 

• Like 3

They're both really good. I flew the C208 mod extensively before picking up the Kodiak. Honestly why not both? They're different enough, especially in the way they fly - plus, the C208 mod is free! Give it a try. 

Edited by liamp51
  • Like 2

Former Child, Current Adult

11 minutes ago, Redge said:

I bought the Kodiak a couple of weeks ago, not having spent any time with the 208 — but the recommendations from everyone had my interest piqued.

Two weeks later, it feels like the best 29.99 I've spent on this sim. The visuals are excellent, the sounds incredible but it's the flight model that is so good, that I can't bring myself to fly any other aircraft at the moment.

The way the aircraft behaves in turbulence, cross winds, headwinds etc is just sublime and I noticed last night that I can now reliably tell the wind direction and relative strength just by the feel of the aircraft and looking out of the window rather than viewing the wind data on the NXi itself.

The aircraft has so far appeared to perform by the numbers in the provided POH excerpts in the manual (and is pretty close to the POH I have from the previous gen Kodiak from online).

In one flight the other day, I used an advanced Foreflight profile to plan my trip (including W&B, wind forecasting and fuel etc). It's probably a lot of luck, but after landing I went over the numbers and found that my flight time was on the money, and I'd burned 1lb less than estimated.

This thing is a beaut!

I have about 600 hours in real life piloting, and the Kodiak is the sim aircraft that makes me feel like I am actually back in the cockpit again. The developer did and excellent job with this aircraft. 

• Like 5

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I’m think I’m gonna go ahead and pick the kodiak up, seems like generally pretty good reviews across the board here at avsim. 

Intel I7 12700KF / 32 GB Ram-3600mhz / Windows 11 - 64 bit / NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060TI / 32" Acer Monitor, Honeycomb alpha/bravo, CH rudder pedals, Tobii 5, Buttkicker, Logitech radio panel. 

There is also a Kodiak flight model mod out there.  https://flightsim.to/file/26513/ccm-s-definitely-wrong-kodiak-flight-model-mod

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

55 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I have about 600 hours in real life piloting, and the Kodiak is the sim aircraft that makes me feel like I am actually back in the cockpit again. The developer did and excellent job with this aircraft. 

I would normally buy every new aircraft that looks to be above average.  By now I should have the Cessna 337 and Twin Otter, but the kodiaq is so good I have not purchased either.

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

55 minutes ago, liamp51 said:

They're both really good. I flew the C208 mod extensively before picking up the Kodiak. Honestly why not both? They're different enough, especially in the way they fly - plus, the C208 mod is free! Give it a try. 

I agree. I have logged significant time in both.  My flights are purpose-driven and I find a place for both. The 208 feels heavier and can carry more load.  I used it to fantasy fly a basketball team from  Indiana to a tourney in Bermuda, imagining I could fit in 12 seats (2 +10) as can be done IRL.  Couldn't do that with the Kodiak.  However I will be using the Kodiak for a month-long trek back to the Caribbean as can carry 8 of us (2 +6) and luggage/gear and it is purposeful for hops into smaller island airports. 

The Kodiak is smaller. lighter, and has a more nimble feel.  And I cannot wait to try out a new Kodiak mod that is up today on TO.   
https://flightsim.to/file/26513/ccm-s-definitely-wrong-kodiak-flight-model-mod

• Like 3

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere