Sign in to follow this  
Mejjo

P3D 5.3 Hotfix 2 released

32 minutes ago, Alexx Pilot said:

Yes, that's correct! That's the first time I'm having this. 
I completely removed everything before installing V5.3 HF2 coming from V5.2 (since I skipped the previous 5.3 version). 

OK. See if disabling add-ons changes anything.

Also we might look into how you go about removing an older P3D before installing. Hopefully all the old stuff was out of the way when you installed HF2 version.

• Like 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

2 hours ago, SteveW said:

OK. See if disabling add-ons changes anything.

Just did a quick test without add-ons but there are no differences. 

Also we might look into how you go about removing an older P3D before installing. Hopefully all the old stuff was out of the way when you installed HF2 version.

I followed the steps deleting Client, content, scenery and after that, manually deleting all the remaining folders on %appdata% etc. including the main P3D folder.
The only thing I did not delete was the "Prepar3D v5 Add-ons" outside the main directory (on my second SSD).

Edited by Alexx Pilot
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MammyJammy said:

If you don't want to worry about how to count up these cores (they are relative to the P3DCoreAffinityMask), just use this tool.  It will handle all the binary stuff and the relative calc for the ThreadScheduler cores

Hi @MammyJammy,

I’m afraid you don’t know me very well 😀 Steve, on the other hand.... really don’t know where he gets his patience when it comes to helping ageing idiots like me. 

Some would say that I’m my own worst enemy when it comes to obsessing over how things work. Yes, I could take the easy way out, but where’s the satisfaction..lol!

BTW, I have been using your tool, including the presets, to help towards my understanding of the various outcomes. Thank you, the excellent design of the interface makes these calculations a doddle for the user who is motivated to experiment.

Regards,

Mike

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Alexx Pilot said:

Just did a quick test without add-ons but there are no differences. 

I followed the steps deleting Client, content, scenery and after that, manually deleting all the remaining folders on %appdata% etc. including the main P3D folder.
The only thing I did not delete was the "Prepar3D v5 Add-ons" outside the main directory (on my second SSD).

I've been playing around with settings and so on but not really been able to recreate the issue. Did you say it happened before? if so do you remember anything about that?

• Like 1

On 1/26/2022 at 12:37 AM, Rob_Ainscough said:

Times have changed since P3D V3.4 and P3D V5.3 ... you might find some benefits with these 5 affinity settings.  I'm not an FPS chaser, what I look for in consistency in timeframe deltas (smooth) ... being careful with thread/core assignments can help smooth out those timeframe deltas and this has benefited many users and hence why you see a lot of posts about v5.3 being so "smooth".

Cheers, Rob.

It is good that LM has improved the finetuning capabilities by expanding the AM settings in the cfg, but isn't smoothness a matter of maintaining a consistent FPS that is in sync with the screen refresh rate (for which the frame rate limiter, whether internal or external, is responsible)?  Of course, if a user runs a lot of other programs alongside P3D on core0 that chew CPU power, it may cause stutters, and putting P3D on a different core can mitigate the problem. But isn't it recommended to not run such programs to begin with?

I am not denying that using certain AM settings can't help improve the simulation under certain circumstances, but it is all dependent on one's system (hardware- and software wise) and situation. The problem I see is that some users, without having tested anything or figured out if a change in AM settings is needed to begin with, ask in an outright manner "what is the best setting for me" without having spent enough time playing around with the display settings. Then you see other users chime in and provide different values for what they thing works best for them, thus creating an avalanche of different suggestions, which may be good on the one hand, but may lead to an obsession.

• Upvote 1

When I'm running the sim I am not seeing core zero being hit by system processes, another core is though.

When I'm running the sim I am not seeing core zero being hit by system processes, another core is though.

Hi Steve,

I see the same. Although as we discussed on my i9-9900ks with HT enabled I don’t mask off the first 3 HT logical processors. I do assign the 3 primary threads to 0, 2 and 4 respectively but as we discussed I use Process Lasso to move everything else other than Windows functions to the last two cores logical processors 12-15. Additionally I leave the last core free of P3D thinking the op system would take that one but I find those last two LPs very under utilized and the Frame Worker thread core ( LP 4 ) and it’s open LP 5 the most utilized. I do run a native 30 HZ TV so I run unlimited and Vsync on in the sim and use NCP to cap frames at 30 which reduces my Main Thread load on LP 0 quite well. Since I don’t see near 100% loading I am not currently concerned about the core sharing going on with the first three cores and the three primary P3D threads being assigned there. Although the Frame Worker thread and that 3rd core are being worked the most consistently.

I will experiment today with not leaving the last core open for the operating system and leave everything else the same including my confining the addons to the last 2 cores and see if any loading particularly the third core changes.

Again thanks for all your support!

Joe

• Like 1

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2

44 minutes ago, joepoway said:

with HT enabled I don’t mask off the first 3 HT logical processors. I do assign the 3 primary threads to 0, 2 and 4 respectively

Hi Joe,

So long as the P3DCoreAffinityMask only allows one LP per core for the main tasks it will avoid scenery gathering tasks to run on them which is one main cause of stutter. It is logical todo that with AffinityMask as well otherwise you might still get unwanted activity from sim related tasks, there's no reason not to.

What JobScheduler entries are you using, I shall test it here...

Steve

16 hours ago, SteveW said:

Did you say it happened before? if so do you remember anything about that?

Not really like this, the only few problems I had were at first V5 version with EA, but got fixed by LM long time ago... The last V5.2 worked for me perfectly and that's what it seems to be strange.
Yesterday I tried to disable the variable refresh rate (VRR) and HAGS on W10 settings and it seems to make things a little bit better, but it could be "placebo effect", further testing will be needed.

Edited by Alexx Pilot
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Alexx Pilot said:

Not really like this, the only few problems I had were at first V5 version with EA, but got fixed by LM long time ago... The last V5.2 worked for me perfectly and that's what it seems to be strange.
Yesterday I tried to disable the variable refresh rate (VRR) and HAGS on W10 settings and it seems to make things a little bit better, but it could be "placebo effect", further testing will be needed.

Yes maybe that's something. The refresh rates differing to the simulator frame output timing can make it appear a little jittery, but in your video it seems more than a little. It's certainly an odd problem to understand without hands on the PC.

Guys, any ideas that may help Alexx Pilot with this?

• Like 1

@SteveW I really appreciate your help, thank you so much for that 🙂 
I just need some time to test in every possible way and I will update if I find the problem, so maybe could help other people too having the same issue.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Alexx Pilot said:

@SteveW I really appreciate your help, thank you so much for that 🙂 
I just need some time to test in every possible way and I will update if I find the problem, so maybe could help other people too having the same issue.

You're welcome! Sorry I could not think of something to help cure it so far. I don't think you can do better on the CPU side, maybe something to do with the monitor/refresh/etc.it is possible that something changed in v5.3 HF2. I will have time for another session trying to recreate the problem later.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Alexx Pilot said:

I just need some time to test in every possible way and I will update if I find the problem

Can you try setting your monitor refresh rate to its lowest Hz? Then in P3D set VSYNC=ON and Unlocked on the slider in P3D Display Settings. That should always be be very smooth. If not maybe there is something else going on other than monitor issues.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveW said:

Hi Joe,

So long as the P3DCoreAffinityMask only allows one LP per core for the main tasks it will avoid scenery gathering tasks to run on them which is one main cause of stutter. It is logical todo that with AffinityMask as well otherwise you might still get unwanted activity from sim related tasks, there's no reason not to.

What JobScheduler entries are you using, I shall test it here...

Steve

Hi Steve,

I'm currently running:

[JobScheduler]
AffinityMask=65535
P3DCoreAffinityMask=16383
MainThreadScheduler=0
RenderThreadScheduler=2
FrameWorkerThreadScheduler=4

Basically leaving the last core i.e. LP's 0-15 for the Operating System. Remember I also confine virtually all other apps to the last 2 cores i.e. LP's 12-15 with Process Lasso so basically only P3D is using the first 6 cores and sharing the 7th core with addons that didn't grab the last core. I could be wrong but by leaving the HT LP's on the first 3 cores open and since there are virtually no other apps using them doesn't that let P3D take advantage of LP 1, 3 and 5  for scenery gathering tasks. I think I understand the additional issue of the sharing of internal microarchitecture components called execution units from the link you posted but wouldn't that also only come into play if loads were approaching 80%+ ?

Also since I take advantage of my 30Hz TV with Unlimited/Vsync on in sim and 30 fps cap with NCP, LP0 (and LP 1 ) are no where near 100% neither are LP2 or LP4 however my LP4 the FrameWorker seems most tasked. 

If I were to mask off LP1, 3 and 5 using 65493 are you saying the prevention of any scenery gathering tasks on those 3 cores sharing the 3 main threads would be better even if the sharing isn't coming close to maxing out the cores? I saw you were experimenting running the Render and Frame threads on LP2 and LP3 on the same core wouldn't that even be worse than sharing a core with background scenery gathering?

My next experiment will be to not leave the last core free for the Operating system by using:

[JobScheduler]
AffinityMask=65535
P3DCoreAffinityMask=65535
MainThreadScheduler=0
RenderThreadScheduler=2
FrameWorkerThreadScheduler=4

and of course keeping all the same confinements to the last two cores LP's 12-15 aggressively using Process Lasso. 

Again I'm thinking, by so aggressively using Process Lasso to keep everything off the first 6 cores LP's 0-11 it may negate the need to mask off LP 1, 3 and 5 but I defer to your wisdom in these matters for sure.

Thanks again,

Joe

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2