Sign in to follow this  
Mejjo

P3D 5.3 Hotfix 2 released

On other matters more directly related to the release of HF2 I note with apprehension that after 10 days or so since the release the F1 GTN 750 is yet to be made compatible.  I know it is EOL etc but we were hoping that these minor updates to P3D would be supported.

Bruce

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

8 hours ago, Afterburner said:

I thought that this trick would only work with games that use an exclusive fullscreen mode. P3D doesn't use exclusive fullscreen (even if you activate "full screen" in the menu), which surprises me that this setting works. Are you sure?  Have you tested it?

Yep, it works if you have the right hardware.  Been using it for the last 18 months in P3D.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, brucewtb said:

On other matters more directly related to the release of HF2 I note with apprehension that after 10 days or so since the release the F1 GTN 750 is yet to be made compatible.  I know it is EOL etc but we were hoping that these minor updates to P3D would be supported.

Bruce

Hi Bruce,

I held off on updating to HF2 for that very reason regarding the F1 GTN update for compatibility. Unfortunately I believe that minor F1 GTN 750 updates is a thing of the past. For that reason, I bit the bullet and purchased the RXP GTN 750. For me it was a very easy purchase, download and install. The panel configuration program is pretty easy to use. It will install the RXP GTN 750 where the  Flight1 750 is located. There are several helpful tutorials on the RXP support forum.

Hope this helps,

Raymie

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Alexx Pilot said:

The only thing is that I feel a sort of "ghosting" when limiting framerate from Nvidia CP, like a sort of artifact making movements a little bit slower than normal

I have this "problem" too...

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - Prepar3D 5.4 and MSFS

16 hours ago, Afterburner said:

I thought that this trick would only work with games that use an exclusive fullscreen mode. P3D doesn't use exclusive fullscreen (even if you activate "full screen" in the menu), which surprises me that this setting works. Are you sure?  Have you tested it?

It is the "approved" method for P3D for a long time now.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

13 hours ago, raymie said:

For that reason, I bit the bullet and purchased the RXP GTN 750.

It's well worth the money, especially for the support alone.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, IanHarrison said:

It is the "approved" method for P3D for a long time now.

If this method is "approved", it doesn't necessarily work as intended.

What should it do?  If I set my monitor to 60 Hz and vsync in NCP to 1/2 refresh rate (adaptive), while setting fps in P3D to unlimited and in-game vsync off, I should get a maximum frame rate of 30. However, on my system, I don't (I get 60 fps at most). What I described would work if you played a game that uses an exclusive fullscreen mode (like FSX did). P3D runs in windowed mode, even if you switch it to full screen. Judging by threads on this forum about this topic, many users also limit the fps to 30 in this case, whether in-game or externally. However, the 30 fps that they get is a result of limiting the fps to 30 and not of setting vsync to 1/2 refresh rate.

If the 1/2 refresh rate vsync worked the way I described, that would be new to me. Has P3Dv5 changed in this regard?  Anyone else can confirm that?

22 minutes ago, Afterburner said:

If the 1/2 refresh rate vsync worked the way I described, that would be new to me. Has P3Dv5 changed in this regard?  Anyone else can confirm that?

I have a G-Sync compatible monitor which I set at 60Hz and use NPI (Nvidia Profile Inspector) to limit the frame rate

to 1/2 refresh rate,ie. 30fps using the 'display port'. <important

This works perfectly for me with in game set at 'unlimited' fps.

My fps usually hover around 29 - 31fps.

Edited by Sparkrite

7 minutes ago, Sparkrite said:

I have a G-Sync compatible monitor which I set at 60Hz and use NPI (Nvidia Profile Inspector) to limit the frame rate

to 1/2 refresh rate,ie. 30fps using the 'display port'. <important

This works perfectly for me with in game set at 'unlimited' fps.

My fps usually hover around 29 - 31fps.

But in your case, you are directly limiting your fps to 1/2 refresh rate by setting the fps to 30 in NPI. This is different from what I described above (=setting vsync to 1/2 refresh rate and running unlimited fps).

1 minute ago, Afterburner said:

But in your case, you are directly limiting your fps to 1/2 refresh rate by setting the fps to 30 in NPI

Right, I see what you're saying, give me a few mins and I'll try it with the limiter off and just 1/2 refresh on in NPI.......................

19 minutes ago, Afterburner said:

But in your case, you are directly limiting your fps to 1/2 refresh rate by setting the fps to 30 in NPI.

Ok, back to you now....

Removed frame limiter in NPI and FPS still achieving half refresh rate.

Tried 60Hz and 75Hz and FPS 30 and 38 respectively.

I know that P3D runs in frameless window mode but G-Sync will also run in full and window mode.

So it would appear that 1/2 refresh rate is working correctly

51 minutes ago, Afterburner said:

If I set my monitor to 60 Hz and vsync in NCP to 1/2 refresh rate (adaptive), while setting fps in P3D to unlimited and in-game vsync off

The Adaptive (half refresh rate) setting in Nvidia Control Panel requires VSync in P3D to be set to ON, at which point P3D will run at 30 fps.  You do not need to use the external frame limiter in NCP with this configuration.  As far as I know, this is not new to P3D, at least not the 64-bit versions, as I've run with this in both P3Dv4 and all revs of P3Dv5.

The FPS chart below is with this exact configuration, and outside of some scenery loading blips, it runs consistently at 30 fps.

spacer.png

In all the tests I have run, the most stable frames using adaptive vsync is with the P3D frame limiter set to unlocked. 

• Like 1

Interesting, maybe the 1/2 refresh rate vsync in a windowed program is working for you because of the newer generation of video card, Gsync or simply a different behavior by v5. On my system with P3Dv4, it doesn't do anything, even if I activate vsync in P3D. In this regard, one last question: If you activate 1/2 refresh rate in NCP or NPI and run P3D, does your monitor run at 60 Hz or 30 Hz refresh rate?

8 minutes ago, Afterburner said:

If you activate 1/2 refresh rate in NCP or NPI and run P3D, does your monitor run at 60 Hz or 30 Hz refresh rate?

It runs at 60Hz .

19 hours ago, raymie said:

Hi Bruce,

I held off on updating to HF2 for that very reason regarding the F1 GTN update for compatibility. Unfortunately I believe that minor F1 GTN 750 updates is a thing of the past. For that reason, I bit the bullet and purchased the RXP GTN 750. For me it was a very easy purchase, download and install. The panel configuration program is pretty easy to use. It will install the RXP GTN 750 where the  Flight1 750 is located. There are several helpful tutorials on the RXP support forum.

Hope this helps,

Raymie

Well we will see. My only use these days for the GTN 750 is in the Realair Duke. That and the PMDG, FSlabs, Majestic etc stuff are the only aircraft I fly in P3D these days most of the time I'm over on MS2020,  I also still have P3D4 installed and the F1  GTN 750 still works there.  I was using it in the Lionheart Kodiak but no more as we now have the excellent Simworks Studios Kodiak in MSFS 2020.

Bruce

Bruce Bartlett

Frodo: "I wish none of this had happened." Gandalf: "So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."