Sign in to follow this  
Mejjo

P3D 5.3 Hotfix 2 released

Hi Bruce,

Your situation is much different than mine. I only have P3D 5.3xx so I had to purchase the RXP GTN 750 as I do not have any plans in the near future to purchase MS2020.For me, the biggest advantage in going with the RXP unit is that it seems to be well supported if one needs the "technical help" and it looks like it will be around for awhile and updated when necessary. 

Raymie

21 hours ago, MammyJammy said:

The Adaptive (half refresh rate) setting in Nvidia Control Panel requires VSync in P3D to be set to ON, at which point P3D will run at 30 fps. 

No, it does not at all. Where did you get it from?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dirk98 said:

This!  I tried running Adaptive (half refresh rate) in NCP coupled with VSync on in P3D... all I got was a stutterfest.  I DO run with VRR enabled on my Freesync 2 monitor only because it all seems a bit smoother.

I tried limiting FPS as suggested but even if is very smooth, everything is slower like ghosting effect (Test here: https://streamable.com/tcm263), but it's not a P3D thing, because I noticed the exact same issue on other programs and games. 
I don't know if my monitor LG Ultragear 27GN850 needs special settings...I assume my pc just doesn't like locked framerate 😅

Edited by Alexx Pilot

5 hours ago, Dirk98 said:

I stand corrected.  I just did another test with NCP adaptive Vsync on for the Prepar3D.exe profile and OFF within P3D...Sure enough, 30fps.

• Like 2

On 1/28/2022 at 5:59 PM, joepoway said:

I think you meant:

07,06,05,04,03,02,01,00=core number
11,11,11,11,11,01,01,01=AffinityMask = 65493
11,11,11,11,11,01,01,01=P3DCoreAffinityMask = 65493
00,00,00,00,00,00,00,01=MainThreadScheduler = 0
00,00,00,00,00,00,01,00=RenderThreadScheduler = 1
00,00,00,00,00,01,00,00=FrameWorkerThreadScheduler = 2

since LP1, 3 and 5 are masked off obviously a cut and paste typo I presume

Joe

Yes you spotted it, sorry Joe. In my rush to finish on Friday I neglected to change those for 64593 to 0, 1, 2. Fortunately you understand the procedure fully and spotted my mistake. I hope you have things sorted out nicely.

Steve

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

On 1/28/2022 at 7:14 PM, Alexx Pilot said:

EUREKA! I made 5 tests and I think I've found what is causing my issue!
Turning OFF volumetric clouds (But keeping EA ON) causes my stutters. Please note I'm not using any external clouds like REX for the test.

- Test 1: (as suggested ) Monitor at minimal freq. set to 60 Hz + P3D Vsync ON + Volumetric Clouds ON = Smooth (But at 60Hz I feel the pc is generally less smooth during normal use like moving mouse and scrolling web pages).
- Test 2: Monitor 60 Hz + Vsync OFF + EA ON + Vol. Clouds ON = Still smooth, maybe a little bit less.
- Test 3: Monitor 120 Hz + Vsync ON + EA ON + Vol. Clouds ON = Smooth
- Test 4: Monitor 120 Hz + Vsync OFF + EA ON + Vol. Clouds ON = Smooth, but little bit less. 
- Test 5: Monitor 120 Hz + Vsync ON + EA ON + Volumetric Clouds OFF = STUTTERS. Settings here: https://imgur.com/cxsoMwj

I will test more (especially the fact 60Hz usually makes my whole pc less smooth). 

Good Job!  👍😁

• Like 1

I have a 60Hz refresh 4k monitor (2160x3840) on Display Port cable, and with Nvidia Control Panel, Manage 3D Settings, Program Settings, Prepar3D.exe Profile, Vertical sync = Adaptive (half refresh rate). With that I get 30fps with P3D Display settings set to Unlocked. I can set VSYNC=On or Off, still get vsyncing at 30Hz whether full screen or window.

With VSYNC=ON in P3D you can set Triple Buffering which should be slightly better because P3D does not have to stop rendering when one frame buffer is completed, it can start on the next buffer right away, so you get more activity on MainThreadScheduler but more work is already done - so this must be tested on any particular system.

What I have noticed is that some systems do not respond to these setups and do not adhere to the refresh. I think this may be a combination of things, different version Nvidia drivers might usually be the cause. For those systems the monitor setup might include lower refresh rates, or Windows Display Settings, Advanced Display may give lower refresh rates and for that we set VSYNC=ON and Unlocked on the slider in P3D.

Edited by SteveW
  • Like 3

On 1/21/2022 at 1:15 PM, SteveW said:

10 core HT Disabled: 1023 1023 0,2,4 is fine.

Basically with HT Disabled we can accept the P3D v5.3 settings as they will use all cores:

Plugging 10 "ones" into the BIN Field of Windows Calculator "1111111111" gives 1023 in the DEC field which means to use all 10 cores.

Steve

I would like to go back to HT off with my 10900K. With HT off, is it still good to keep P3D off of core 0 and have my third party apps like Activesky and Chase Plane run on the last two cores? Is using 0,2,4 still good or should I also change that also?

Thank you as always. 

• Like 1

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

12 hours ago, Wise87 said:

Steve

I would like to go back to HT off with my 10900K. With HT off, is it still good to keep P3D off of core 0 and have my third party apps like Activesky and Chase Plane run on the last two cores? Is using 0,2,4 still good or should I also change that also?

Thank you as always. 

If you want HT Disabled and want to avoid core zero you can do 1023,1023,1,2,3. Core 1 has the main task and core zero will have a background task. You can run third party apps on the background tasks cores, the last ones do the least work. Use at least two per exe.

1111111111=P3DCoreAffinityMask = 1023

With ten cores I would go HT Enabled and 1048533,1048533,0,1,2 since that way you keep fps stability but gain fill-in performance with HT.

11,11,11,11,11,11,11,01,01,01=P3DCoreAffinityMask = 1048533

The 01s keep the main three tasks to cores of their own, the background tasks accelerate fill-in with HT enabled and can have two per core working in parallel.

or to avoid core zero (won't make any difference) you can do 1048407,1048407,2,3,4 that works exactly the same

11,11,11,11,11,11,01,01,01,11=P3DCoreAffinityMask = 1048407
core zero has a pair of scenery loaders and cores 1,2,3 have the main tasks, the time sensitive task is on core 1.

Use any of the cores with background tasks to locate your third party stuff.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2022 at 3:40 PM, SteveW said:

Hey Ian,

Just a thought, you might want to try capping at 30fps In Nvidia Control Panel (3D Settings, Prepar3D.exe profile, fps limit) this can provide useful overhead on the MainThreadScheduler core instead of locking at 30 (Display Settings Slider) which demands 100% because it is always making the next frame for the look ahead buffer. 

Steve,

Just an update. AM 253,253,0,1,2 is definitely the best setting so far. With NCP capping frames at 30, no VSYNC in the sim. I just flew from Ottawa to KLAX in the PMDG 744 with AIG traffic and Active Sky/Asca in my reduced setting for Heavy scenery. Maintained 28-30 all the way and approach to KLAX(FSDT) and landing at around 20-25 with no major stutters or pauses, really quite smooth. Very happy.

Thanks for your input.

• Like 1

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

25 minutes ago, IanHarrison said:

Steve, Thanks for your input.

You're welcome Ian. Yes I don't see how you can extract more from that CPU than what you have already. I'm glad your system is working well. There may be a way to improve frame rate smoothness a little more since there's other techniques and combinations that are possible depending on the system specs.

If your monitor is 60Hz, to stay capped at 30fps you can alternatively try this: In Nvidia Control Panel, 3D Settings, Programs tab, choose Prepar3D.exe profile Restore/Apply, that removes the 30fps cap you put in the profile, then set the item "Vertical sync" to "Adaptive (half refresh rate) this sets a 30Hz vsync while leaving the monitor at 60Hz, Apply and close, and in P3D Display settings leave the fps slider at Unlocked and set VSYNC=ON. That may or may not work but is worth testing and might give you a slightly smoother 30fps if it works.

1 hour ago, SteveW said:

You're welcome Ian. Yes I don't see how you can extract more from that CPU than what you have already. I'm glad your system is working well. There may be a way to improve frame rate smoothness a little more since there's other techniques and combinations that are possible depending on the system specs.

If your monitor is 60Hz, to stay capped at 30fps you can alternatively try this: In Nvidia Control Panel, 3D Settings, Programs tab, choose Prepar3D.exe profile Restore/Apply, that removes the 30fps cap you put in the profile, then set the item "Vertical sync" to "Adaptive (half refresh rate) this sets a 30Hz vsync while leaving the monitor at 60Hz, Apply and close, and in P3D Display settings leave the fps slider at Unlocked and set VSYNC=ON. That may or may not work but is worth testing and might give you a slightly smoother 30fps if it works.

yes Ian i do excatly what Steve is saying "monitor 60hz etc etc word for word . works a treat 

• Like 1

9900k, RTX3080 12 GB ,maximus hero XI, Arctic Freezer 280 AIO, Phanteks Mesh case, 32GB steel series ram (3000 GHZ) , x3 Samsung Evo's 480 GB for scenery, intel 1660p 2TB nvme for P3D and addons /Scenery, Adata 480GB nvme for OS win11, 2 TB SSHD for everything else, 43" LG 4K TV for the sim(1440P) , second 27" monitor for charts/ YouTube etc. Warthog Stick, TCA ( Airbus) Throttle and Logitech  pedals, Razer keyboard and mouse, oh and a usb fan to cool me down on approach !