Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

Let's hear it for the young lady!

I cannot even begin to imagine her joy and pride of accomplishment. Good for her!

• Like 1

Mario Di Lauro

Well done Zara.

Captain to First Officer: " I didn't say it was your fault I am just blaming you " 

" The two-seat ultralight aircraft she completed the journey in was provided by Shark Aero, one of the sponsors for the trip, with customizations such as a second radio, and an additional fuel tank in the place where the second passenger seat would typically sit.
The plane has an optimum cruising speed of 140 knots  "

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

The title of that second video could be called, 'The Joy of Flying."  She loves it.  You can see that on her face.

One disappointment.  No map of her route.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Thanks Ed.

It looks like she from east to west against the prevailing winds.  And she did a bit of sightseeing.  That was a long over the water flight from northern Scotland to Iceland.

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

A great feat and she deserves all the praise she will get.  This achievement should help her for the rest of her life which I hope will be rich and varied.  This may be just the first of her achievements.  Well done.

Edited by harrry

Harry Woodrow

WHY?

I don't mean that in terms of "it was a waste of time" or "there was no point to it" but in terms of why human beings are motivated to do such a thing when it actually achieves very little in practical terms, except perhaps giving her more flight time.

Why this flight? Why conquer the harshest mountain where you might die? 

• Upvote 1

Well said Martin.

Intel 10700K @ 5.1Ghz, Asus Hero Maximus motherboard, Noctua NH-U12A cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 3200 MHz RAM, RTX 2060 Super GPU, Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower, Thermaltake 1000W Toughpower PSU, Windows 10 Professional 64-Bit, 100TB of disk storage. Klaatu barada nickto.

1 hour ago, W2DR said:

Well said Martin.

As I mentioned, I'm not saying its a waste of time or doesn't have merit, or that there isn't a reason for this human inclination. Rather, I'm looking for opinions as to why human beings are motivated to do this.

My hypothesis is that there's some kind of evolutionary advantage, all be it a counter intuitive one. 

Clearly this is a risky (on a personal level) urge that evolution hasn't filtered out. For that reason it must offer an advantage to our species as a whole.

Edited by martin-w

2 hours ago, martin-w said:

WHY?

I don't mean that in terms of "it was a waste of time" or "there was no point to it" but in terms of why human beings are motivated to do such a thing when it actually achieves very little in practical terms, except perhaps giving her more flight time.

Because it is a challenge and the bold accept challenges.  Now hold my beer and watch this. 😁

• Like 1

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

3 hours ago, martin-w said:

Why not?  Why not climb the highest mountain?  Why not race motorcycles and cars?  Why not even learn to fly?  Why not swim the English Channel? Do you just wrap yourself in your cocoon of safety and never take a chance or try to accomplish something that might be dangerous?

It's human nature to conquer your fears.  That's the ultimate sense of accomplishment.  There's a great amount of satisfaction in accomplishing some dangerous activity.

When I was a young Marine stationed at Twentynine Palms in the desert we used to go out some Sunday afternoons and get an empty box and catch sidewinders...rattlesnakes.  We would see how many we could catch and then let them loose.  To put them in the box you had to handle them.  Not many of us were willing to do that but when you learned how and when you actually picked a venomous snake that might bite you it was a thrill.

Noel

• Like 1

I'm not sure I would want to even do a simulated flight on the same route, in real time...  

I say Bravo to this young woman!

2 hours ago, stans said:

Because it is a challenge and the bold accept challenges.

Even if its likely that death might ensue? 

I think there's more to it than that. Most people don't risk their lives climbing Everest where hypoxia can kill you and you can lose limbs because of frostbite, because its not logical. A small percentage do. I hypothesise that its that small percentage of risk takers, that behave in what might be deemed a reckless way, that look over the next hill, sail to the next island, traverse terrain to get to the other side. And it's those that push the limits at their own risk that find new lands for us to inhabit and thus enable our species to multiply and thrive. 

In short, evolution allows the risk taking gene to stay in the gene pool, not because its am advantage to the individual but because there's an advantage to the entire species when a small number of risk talkers are in the population.