Sign in to follow this  
ChaoticBeauty

January 20th, 2022 - Development Update

On 1/20/2022 at 10:47 PM, bendead said:

Thanks for the update,

So what will be implemented in the SDK, weather or terrain API? Top wishes and SDK update seems to contradict each other

Hey @bendead sorry but I'm finding your comment hard to understand. They've made it perfectly clear currently they are working on improving the weather API in Web Assembly in the SDK - it's a start.

Wish lists are exactly that a wish list, not a contract to be held accountable and I'm sure you'd appreciate adding new API calls for both weather and terrain isn't a trvial task.

4 minutes ago, dtrjones said:

Hey @bendead sorry but I'm finding your comment hard to understand. They've made it perfectly clear currently they are working on improving the weather API in Web Assembly in the SDK - it's a start.

Wish lists are exactly that a wish list, not a contract to be held accountable and I'm sure you'd appreciate adding new API calls for both weather and terrain isn't a trvial task.

In the update, you can find that :

Work has started on the first terrain API for WASM iteration (exposing same bitmaps that are available in JavaScript).

Work has started on the weather API for WASM (exposing the same bitmaps that are available in JavaScript).

The sentences are so closed, maybe it's a mistake and only terrain or weather are getting worked on at first, or they could be working on both at the same time.

It's not the first time Asobo make small mistake on their weekly update, so I was looking for confirmation

• Like 2

On 1/20/2022 at 10:44 PM, pmb said:

I feel a bit uneasy about that Bugfixing SU VIII. What comes after SU VIII? Right, SU IX. With new features - and new bugs? I would have preferred measures for an ongoing quality control, notably omitting trivial bugs. I've been waiting for many weeks now for the mouse working properly under VR and it still doesn't.

Much appreciate your comments as always Michael! I was happy when they said focus would be on bug fixing, but it seams whatever they do people are not going to be happy! 😉

On the quality control, that's a given really and Jorg has mentioned it several times in the Q&A. I absolutely agree of course but I think we have to accept this is something they need to manage in the background as I'm sure many third party developers are waiting on a number of bugs to be fixed so that wheel has to keep turning and we have to keep reporting issues...

Put it this way, you've just walked into St Thomas Hospital in London and asked them to close the wards for 2 months because they need repainting, all the while there are 6 million people in the UK with a backlog of operations to have. Yeah that's not going to go down well! 🙂

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, dtrjones said:

Wish lists are exactly that a wish list, not a contract to be held accountable

It's a different wish list, with under each one what is actually being done by Asobo to make them happen

Edited by bendead
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, bendead said:

It's not the first time Asobo make small mistake on their weekly update, so I was looking for confirmation

Ah yes, ok I had to read that three times! Thanks @bendead for the reply. A typo for sure. I imagine it's the weather but who knows!

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dtrjones said:

I imagine it's the weather but who knows!

I have the same feeling, I don't see PMDG using external weather source for their radar and for the terrain part, EGPWS/VSD on the ND,  they may be using SRTM, worldwide 100m or 30m resolution DEM, It's available for free, but I am not sure about the integration in commercial software.

Edited by bendead

On 1/20/2022 at 11:44 PM, pmb said:

I feel a bit uneasy about that Bugfixing SU VIII. What comes after SU VIII?

Before worrying about SU9, do worry about SU8’s day after 😏.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

On 1/21/2022 at 9:21 PM, bendead said:

Proofreading prior to publication is, of course, a kind of Quality Control.  Asobo is not known for either one.