Sign in to follow this  
Purr

New Monitor Settings...

Hi everyone,

Got a Gigabyte G34WQC (3440x1440) monitor recently, has Freesync and 144Hz max refresh rate. I'm trying to figure out best settings for the sim.

Vsync: was going to set monitor to 60Hz but there is no more 1/2 refresh rate vsync option in Nvidia anymore. I have FPS locked at 30 in Nvidia but unlimited in sim.

Question 1: should I use Vsync? Triple buffering? What's the best Monitor refresh rate?

Question 2: I'm running i8700K OC, 64G Ram, RTX 2070, using the Affinity Mask App with the following entry:

[JobScheduler]
AffinityMask=4095
P3DCoreAffinityMask=4092
MainThreadScheduler=0
RenderThreadScheduler=2
FrameWorkerThreadScheduler=4

I put activesky as recommended through FSUIPC.ini as 

[Programs]
RunIfX=AM=3,CLOSE,"<PATH TO ADD ON .EXE AND OPTIONAL ARGUMENTS>"

I clicked on the "Affinity Mask Process Space" button to generate the above. Is this best / correct way to configure?

Thanks!

i7 - 8700k, 4.3Ghz

Nvidia RTX 2070

Win 10

Hi Rob,

Thanks very much for your info above. So I checked and have available the following:

@3440 x 1440 (native): 144Hz / 100 / 60 / 50 Hz are showing available at that resolution in Nvidia Control Panel.

Was a bit unclear re: what you mean re: adjust graphics settings so you can sustain lowest VRR range...

What do you recommend re: refresh rate should I set in Nvidia Control panel then? 50Hz?

And then set unlimited in p3d AND nvidia CP? Or different for each?

Thanks!

Edited by Purr

i7 - 8700k, 4.3Ghz

Nvidia RTX 2070

Win 10

5 hours ago, Purr said:

...there is no more 1/2 refresh rate vsync option in Nvidia anymore.

That's curious... I use the half refresh rate setting in Nvidia Control Panel to run my 60Hz monitor at 30fps.  The setting is in the "Vertical sync" Feature of the "Manage 3D Settings" section.  Use the "Program Settings" tab for Prepar3D (not the Global page) to set "Adaptive (half refresh rate)".  Nvidia Profile Inspector also has settings for this... in the Prepar3D Profile, Sync and Refresh section:  Vertical Sync (set to 1/2 Refresh Rate) and in Vertical Sync Tear Control (set to Adaptive).  My Monitor is a 2K with "Gsync Compatible" VRR.  I set VRR in the monitor and the sim.

HTH

Gigabyte advertises (not that some in the tech industry advertise falsely 🙄) the monitor as Freesync Premium, so it should work fine as Gsync compatible (not to be confused with true Gsync 😖) with a Nvidia Gpu 1xxx or later.  One requirement is that the monitor be connected via DisplayPort... all Freesync features may not be available using an HDMI cable.

• Upvote 1

Yep, and neither does my Dell S3220DGF.  But my Dell is Gsync compatible, as shown in note 2 at the bottom of the chart you linked to above.  My GPU is a 20 series, and I'm connected via DisplayPort 1.4 cable.

2 - G-SYNC Compatible monitors support variable refresh rate on GeForce 10 series and higher GPUs on Display Port and GeForce 30 series and higher GPUs on HDMI 2.1.  (Bolding mine)

It would be interesting to know how the OP has his monitor connected.  I'll bet via HDMI (and being a serious betting man, I'll throw down a Oreo cookie as my bet 😁).

Well, this has been interesting! So I downloaded inspector and set the 1/2 refresh rate vsync. Yeah, when I bought it I thought it had a compatibility...guess I was wrong / misled by the language there. I have connected via display port cable, but can try hdmi...I thought display port was recommended as better over hdmi?

In Nvidia CP under Set Up G-Sync, it allows me to check "Enable G-sync, G-sync compatible" (and then select for windowed or windowed & full screen), but then it says "no validated as G-sync compatible". It still seems to let me check the box though...so not sure what that means is going on??

Ps. just had my RTX 3060 arrive...wanted to get 12G VRAM but couldn't stomach the pricing I was seeing for 3080 / 3090 etc.

i7 - 8700k, 4.3Ghz

Nvidia RTX 2070

Win 10

Looking at my various HDMI cables...hmm no indications or markings on them to indicate whether 1.4 2.0 2.1 etc.  Suspect I don't have 2.1 but is there any way to identify the hdmi type??

i7 - 8700k, 4.3Ghz

Nvidia RTX 2070

Win 10

12 hours ago, Purr said:

Looking at my various HDMI cables...hmm no indications or markings on them to indicate whether 1.4 2.0 2.1 etc.  Suspect I don't have 2.1 but is there any way to identify the hdmi type??

Yeah, it can be confusing.  Any info on cable specs in the docs?

DisplayPort is the way to go for a high perf computer monitor.  In order for your monitor's FreeSync Premium to work with your Nvidia GPU your DisplayPort cable must be at least version 1.2.  Your new 3060 will thank you for DisplayPort 😁.

Have you enabled FreeSync Premium in your monitor controls?  Also, when I used Nvidia Profile Inspector to set 1/2 Refresh Rate with my previous (FreeSync) monitor using an HDMI cable, 1/2RR didn't work.   And FreeSync Premium on your new 30 series GPU will work only with an HDMI cable version of 2.1 (no lower version will allow Freesync Premium to work on a 30 series).

Try the DisplayPort Cable included with your monitor (I'd like to believe a tech company would include all the required cables) and make sure FreeSync Premium is enabled on the monitor.  Then you should see more choices when opening the "Vertical Sync" setting box of the Prepar3D Profile in Nvidia Control Panel.  Adaptive and Adaptive (half refresh rate) will now be available.  Additionally, Nvidia Profile Inspector will also offer 1/3 refresh rate and 1/4 refresh rate for more flexibility in choosing a monitor frequency.  I set my monitor to 60Hz and use Adaptive (half refresh rate) to hold Prepar3D's framerate to 30+- 3.  It's very smooth here and is easy to set-up once all the hardware is configured.