Sign in to follow this  
styckx

I'm so exhausted of this sim

20 hours ago, MrBitstFlyer said:

Most of us had zero problems with the store version - for me it was over a year and then it broke big time. No use for four days.  For those that have had problems it has mostly been the store version - just look at the threads.

You cannot say that without knowing the percentages of people with the store version vs. the steam version in this forum.  Its like having a group of 100 people wearing hats.  98 wearing blue hats and 2 wearing reds.  Two people with blue hats got hit by cars and then you conclude that the blue hats are dangerous for pedestrians,

• Upvote 1

3 versions of the sim sold in 3 different platforms with mandatory updates. That right there should be a red flag that issues/problems will occur.

This sim is still a WIP and could get better. Let's wait and hope for the best.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

Finaly after a week MSFS is reinstalled. The most helpfull answers in this thread where in lose order:

On 1/21/2022 at 10:35 AM, rayharris108 said:

Totally get your frustration and exhaustion and yes it can be a full time job - at times. For what it's worth, if it helps; when I had installs getting stuck on a file and looping continuously, I cancelled the install and went to where the file was located. Typically files will be in: /[Your Drive]/Users/[Your name]/Appdata/Local/Packages/MICROSOFTFLIGHTSIMULATOR_8wek...../Official/Onestore/ one of the subdirectories.

MSFS install will have started installing in that directory. Just delete only those files in that directory, then go back into the sim and it will start again from where it left off, normally in my experience correctly installing those files this time.

I've had to do this many times, although happily not for SU7 or the hotfixes.

Good luck - hope you get it sorted that is if you haven't already given up.

On 1/21/2022 at 4:31 PM, DylanM said:

I could not find the failure but this is how it got fixed on my system:

1) started the installation from the xbox app. I chose the default directory on c:\ (wich by the way can be selected from the xbox app very easily). I did so from day one.

2) when the installer stopped I closed the flightsim.exe via the taskmanager. Thats because even when closed it played music and you can see that it is still running in the background.

3) most of the time it looped when installing files regarding c152 or the airport lzdr (or something like that). So I deleted those files and the folders several times in the last days.

4) after many tries it run thru. It was a crawaling race from package to package 😻

Since I did not overclocked my i9 10900k one thing I noticed. IF you have overclocked your system AND have the same problem. DADs advice is well worth a try. Reset your BIOS to default. You can oc later again. The decrypting of the files taxed my poor little 10900 in peeks more then flying in 4k on ultra/high. 😂 Which seems ridiculus to me but it is what it is. I overcklocked my cpus all the time for FSX and P3D. And if needed I will for MSFS (thats why I have the k-version). But since last week every thing whent super smoth for me and I still dont feel the urge to oc. The 10900 is a beast in stock configuration. I did oc my 3060 🤫.

On 1/21/2022 at 7:46 AM, DAD said:

if your CPU is oc'ed you may try to run your rig at stock speed maybe. had a similar issue with FSX some moons ago. and yes, even if MSFS ran nice before it may be worth to try

Ohh and first start of the sim after install it crashed. (First time for me). Just ran the savemode, closed the sim, restarted my computer an done. Next weekend I will reinstall the PMDG DC6, Kodiak,  and bijan-seasonsmod. If I feel adventures I will also reinstall the brilliant "we love VFR" mods from Puffin. And mybe some ships too.

Big shout-out to DAD, DylanM, rayharris108 and every body that did try to help. You guys rock 🤩

• Like 3

MCE_banner_272_68.jpg

On 1/21/2022 at 10:02 AM, GEKtheReaper said:

No because there are a plethora of things that can go wrong but...in general, if your PC runs stable, I have yet not seen any SW that had issues installing on a supported platform.

The reasons why many of us have no problem updating MSFS are.

1. We know what we're doing
2. We carefully follow all instructions provided by Microsoft and Asobo
3. Don't follow some random dude's advice on youtube to CHANGE THIS ONE SETTING NOW TO QUADRUPLE YOUR FRAMERATES!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 4

I cannot say my time with MSFS has been trouble free; however, it's never failed to update and I have only the rare CTD...usually due to add-on(s).  On the other hand, in the early days, I was having an issue when downloading updates.  The updates would hang.  I even logged tickets with Zendesk and even talked to them and they could never figure it out.  Then, I read somewhere that not all the distro servers were 100% reliable.  Someone mentioned using VPN as a way to set your IP address to a different location.  I did this and boom, the updates came in quickly and without issues.  I cannot speak to anyone having issues with where you have the sim installed, but definitely, if you're having download issues, try a VPN to see if it helps.

Meanwhile, my biggest gripe still is melted buildings.  I figure it is due to my limited bandwidth, but can also be other things contributing to this, so I fly mostly in remote/rural areas until I can get better service and living in a rural area is like living in a time capsule - nothing moves very fast.

Good luck!

i5-6600K 3.5Ghz OC to 4.5GHz|CorsairH60 Liq Cooler|GA-Z170X-Gaming 7|GTX 1070|G.Skill Trident DDR4-3200 32GB|950 PRO M.2 250GB|850 EVO 500GB|2TB Seagate FireCuda SSHD|FractalDesign R4|Corsair RMx 750W|Win10 64bit Home|MSFS2020

I love the smell of Jet-A in the morning!

Robert Pressley a.k.a. SmokeDiddy

44 minutes ago, SmokeDiddy said:

Meanwhile, my biggest gripe still is melted buildings.  I figure it is due to my limited bandwidth, but can also be other things contributing to this, so I fly mostly in remote/rural areas until I can get better service and living in a rural area is like living in a time capsule - nothing moves very fast.

Well, you could also turn photogrammetry off and fly anywhere you want to. 😉 Imho most photogrammetry looks utterly awful and things look a lot better without it. But even with photogrammetry on: it's not that all cities are photogrammatry so there are plenty of urban areas to enjoy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SmokeDiddy said:

Meanwhile, my biggest gripe still is melted buildings.

I don't see this very much at all but about 80% of the time I'm IFR and getting up to altitude pretty quickly.  Bandwidth around 400mbps.  I marvel at just how phenomenally good most metro areas are, even here in KC, Missouri:

spacer.png

• Like 3

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

On 1/22/2022 at 8:51 PM, styckx said:

So out of morbid curiosity I reset my BIOs to optimized defaults with the XMP profile loaded

What?! Just for an issue with decompressing packages?

Have you looked at this? All versions - Packages installation & decompressing issues - Basic troubleshooting – Microsoft Flight Simulator Support (zendesk.com)

Usually deleting the offending package does the trick for me with this issue.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cyrex1984 said:

This topic is going nowhere. Admin plese lock this thread.

??? What ???  Are you the new forum police?  :ohmy:

While the moderators may yet do this, it doesn't look good when people ask for it. 
It is like closing down free speech and discussion because you don't like it. 

If you don't like it, stay out of the thread; you don't have to view it - simple.  
Threads like this tend to fizzle out naturally when they are done.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

I'll bite...

I think we all got very comfortable with fsx, and its long, laundry list of faults, failures and flaws. We also had 14 years of 3rd party content correcting it. We finally get the brand new next gen sim we wanted, and its being actively developed and worked on, maintained and improved, and yeah, there are going to be derps with live systems like this... look at any major game title around, but it is getting better. They do seem to listen, and they do change things.

Eggs need to break to make omlets, is it always fast enough for us all? probably not... but honestly, as a gamer, and as someone that has worked in development both in the sim and outside in other game fields, this isn't that bad.

Can't speak for the CTDs or various issues others have sometimes with the sim, mine's always been rather luckily fine... any issue I have is usually a derped 3rd party addon. Troubleshooting go brr, sim work again... when it rarely happens.

Paitence seems very very very thin sometimes for a group who spend hours traveling while sitting still.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, AvAngel said:

Patience seems very very very thin sometimes for a group who spend hours traveling while sitting still.

That's a very valid opinion and a nice positive perspective; we need some balance sometimes. 
I think this is maybe down to the type of individual...  I work every day except holiday, and have an hours travelling each way. 

When you get in, have your dinner, and have maybe just an hour to jump on the sim, but just find that it has gone down the plug hole due to the far from perfect update process, I am sure you will understand, it can lead to a bit of frustration.  :unsure:

To get around this frustration I normally forget MSFS for the night, turn the telly on, and shout at one of your videos...  IT'S THE MAG SWITCH!..  THE MAG SWITCH!   OVER ON THE LEFT!  Great stress relief!  :laugh:

PS.  Thanks for saving the thread! 

Edited by bobcat999

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

3 hours ago, BobbyFuzzy said:

What?! Just for an issue with decompressing packages?

Have you looked at this? All versions - Packages installation & decompressing issues - Basic troubleshooting – Microsoft Flight Simulator Support (zendesk.com)

Usually deleting the offending package does the trick for me with this issue.

This shouldn't be.. It's uncompressing files. Not compiling complex code. This problem was solved in DOS. In 2022 this shouldn't even be a thing

• Like 2

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

To contribute back to my own thread.

After starting and restarting the installer countless times MSFS is reinstalled again; My first flight CTD after clicking on the "Go to location" pulldown icon. 

Despite no changes to my config since launch. I was once one of those "I never had issues" people. Suddenly. I'm one of those that can't escape them.. Escaping from life shouldn't be full time job

k

Edited by styckx
  • Like 1

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

8 hours ago, SmokeDiddy said:

Meanwhile, my biggest gripe still is melted buildings.  I figure it is due to my limited bandwidth

Nope, it is just awful!

• Like 1

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home