Sign in to follow this  
coastaldriver

ORBX GLOBAL AND GLOBAL VECTOR IN V5.3 w HF2

I have reinstalled both ORBX products into V5.3 HF2. The reasons are simple - the general improvement for LC around the world is still superior with Global Base installed. ORBX Vector was not so easy but it appears that a lot of coastline errors that had been carried over from FSX days and were supposedly fixed in P3D V5 have not been. Now for the majority of users you would not notice these minor problems unless you get off the beaten track and the Pacific area is particularly noticeable. No conflicts with P3D at all but but Vector still gives me the most accurate coastline and hence LC fit for those areas. So I put it back in. 

Neither ORBX or LM have fixed the issue of some seemingly insignificant  places being missing from the scenery at all (still). But if you fly the Pacific a lot like I do, then there are certain islands in the PNG area and Kiribati area that just are not there. 

I spoke to soon installing GOLBAL and Global Vector has not fixed the issues particularly in the Fiji area. It seems the latest update has inadvertently (I hope) reverted back the global terrain mapping to a pre 5.2 version or alternatively ORBX is not working the way it used to fix up the issues. 

I post this for information only (also posting this issue over at LM and ORBX) this is the Laucala Bay area east of Suva. You can see the outline of where the coast should be and the LC overlay that actually appears. Is anybody else seeing a similar problem elsewhere?

KvqDi0x.jpg

Yeah, I don't think Orbx is going to fix Vector at all.  I personally believe the issues dealt with the third party contractor/player (you can google who the creator is) and Orbx discontent with them (I sensed drama over the years).....I would use imagination here that it is all fixed lol

Sad state of affairs in P3D world

Edited by Skywolf

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

I've given up on Vector.
While there are benefits from using it for areas outside TrueEarth or FTX regions, the loading times (both sim start-up and scenario load) are so ridiculously long, that they outweigh the advantages (for me) of having the product active.

As Skywolf says, the product is originally from another developer.
It is difficult to make changes/improvements to other peoples' coding and Orbx are not inclined to invest in fixing old products that won't generate new revenue. Unfortunately, you'll have to accept what you see currently and cross your fingers that LM will continue to improve vector details in future, as they did for v5.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

I stopped using ORBX vector in P3Dv5.  Everywhere I have flown so far has pretty accurate coastlines, lakes, rivers, and roads.  I'm sure there are areas which still need attention, however. 

ORBX Vector isn't all that great either, as I've come across areas of the world where the coastlines are very low resolution, and I've found places in the USA where the P3Dv5 roads are more accurate than Orbx Vector.

Orbx did little to nothing with Vector, simply took it over from Pilot's and fixed a few issues, which took a lot of begging and complaining to get done in some cases.  It's clear where Orbx's priorities lie right now as well as over the past year and a half, and it's not P3D.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

1 hour ago, coastaldriver said:

I spoke to soon installing GOLBAL and Global Vector has not fixed the issues particularly in the Fiji area. It seems the latest update has inadvertently (I hope) reverted back the global terrain mapping to a pre 5.2 version or alternatively ORBX is not working the way it used to fix up the issues. 

I post this for information only (also posting this issue over at LM and ORBX) this is the Laucala Bay area east of Suva. You can see the outline of where the coast should be and the LC overlay that actually appears. Is anybody else seeing a similar problem elsewhere?

Looks fine here.

Prepar3D v5.3 Hotfix 2 (5.3.17.28160)
Orbx Vector:

zY6xYJP.jpg

Edited by Indy511

Thanks for the responses. I am now doing the nuclear option - reinstalling P3D and starting afresh. The map display when I initially select the location show it is right then it suddenly changes to the alternative which is what it gives me. I have ORBX Global and Vector parked on another drive in the meantime, one step at a time  I guess. Otherwise up until this I thought 5.3 with HF2 was very very good. 

I tried my area along the Florida Gulf Coast with Orbx Vector on and off. Areas where it was suppose to be beaches and sand showed up with trees and buildings. I guess for me I need to leave Vector enable. 

KP8tEUM.jpg

xhN5CIJ.jpg

Edited by Wise87

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

Fixed I think. I did a clean reinstallation of the whole thing P3D and also deleted ORBX Vector. It appears to have fixed up the issue but now I have some others. So my coastline and land class is back but now I am missing bridges over some rivers in other places. Sigh! I might add because I do a lot of water operations, that is flying boats with a lot of addon scenery for out of the way places it is reasonably quick for me to check these things by going to some flying boat base for example to see if it looks as it should. 

Wise87 ORBX Global should fix that up as Vector does not alter the main LC files or textures as far as I am aware! It may pull a few in or add more autogen or objects such as road overlays etc. I found Vector made a mess of my roads in North America which is another reason I stopped using it. I think I will stay that way for the time being. ORBX Global yes ORBX Vector no. 

24 minutes ago, coastaldriver said:

Wise87 ORBX Global should fix that up as Vector does not alter the main LC files or textures as far as I am aware! It may pull a few in or add more autogen or objects such as road overlays etc. I found Vector made a mess of my roads in North America which is another reason I stopped using it. I think I will stay that way for the time being. ORBX Global yes ORBX Vector no. 

Tried it again and reverified Global Base. Same thing, trees and buildings still on the beach. Try KHRT and see if you see beach or tress like in my screen shots. 

Edited by Wise87

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

OK will do! Right I get the same thing as you with no Vector or OFF. I also have ORBX's NA installed. 

zx4ksgP.jpg

Edited by coastaldriver
additional information

9 minutes ago, coastaldriver said:

OK will do! Right I get the same thing as you with Vector OFF. 

Thanks for checking.

Dan

6 hours ago, coastaldriver said:

I have reinstalled both ORBX products into V5.3 HF2. The reasons are simple - the general improvement for LC around the world is still superior with Global Base installed. ORBX Vector was not so easy but it appears that a lot of coastline errors that had been carried over from FSX days and were supposedly fixed in P3D V5 have not been. Now for the majority of users you would not notice these minor problems unless you get off the beaten track and the Pacific area is particularly noticeable. No conflicts with P3D at all but but Vector still gives me the most accurate coastline and hence LC fit for those areas. So I put it back in. 

Neither ORBX or LM have fixed the issue of some seemingly insignificant  places being missing from the scenery at all (still). But if you fly the Pacific a lot like I do, then there are certain islands in the PNG area and Kiribati area that just are not there. 

I agree...I had been running since v5.x release without Orbx Vector...but recently did a run up the Sarnia River, Michigan/Ontario water boundary, between lake St. Clair, and lake Huron, and ended near the Blue Water Bridge.  The coastline on both sides of the Sarnia River, was horrible...and ridiculous looking, and jagged with P3D v5.3 vector files. I then reapplied Orbx Vector, and flew the river again.  It looked (I know the river well...having toured it by R.L. general aviation) and it looked very close to reality, post Vector installation.   So...for myself,  I am going to run Vector in all v5.x iterations.

• Like 1

Wise87 Reinstalling Vector fixed up the sand on the spit opposite KHRT. I also noticed it put a whole bunch of other objects back where they should be. 

Sesquashtoo - is correct, as I have discovered P3D improvements only extend so far.

So thanks all - back to keeping ORBX Global and Vector and accepting the reality they will probably not be updated by ORBX. As for the scenery issue to begin with I can only put that down to somehow some area of the scenery becoming corrupted on install as a fresh installation of P3D, ORBX both has cleared up all those problems.

Now having wasted yet another day fixing up things up I can go simming again!

• Like 1