Sign in to follow this  
109Sqn

XMP causing CTDs. Also new microstutters have appeared

Aaaahhh... This is better than I had hoped..  (I had a ten line post  in response, but I did a reboot to do a quick check of my BIOS: Yes - I had difficulty in your post because you mentioned you had "disconnected all drives and rebooted the PC with the USB drive plugged. . .etc.". The BIOS has to be able to see and recognise the new clean drive before any installation can occur.
Ok.. "Let us know how it goes. " Phew!

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

9 minutes ago, Paul J said:

"disconnected all drives and rebooted the PC with the USB drive plugged. . .etc.". The BIOS has to be able to see and recognise the new clean drive before any installation can occur.

Oops, I can see how that would have confused and misinformed you! I should have said "disconnected all but the clean drive"! Yes, that one was still connected along with the USB.😁

The OS install has completed, though I strangely had no internet connection. I guess the basic Win10 drivers don't have a suitable one for this mobo. So I've downloaded all the ASUS drivers onto USB and am now extracting them before  pointing Windows towards them...

Edited by 109Sqn
typo

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

👍  Good. Windows Update and then you can probably do the memtest stuff. Do you have 2 or 4 sticks installed?

Edited by Paul J

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Windows update waiting to restart whilst I finish the ASUS updates. Currently just the one stick installed but I can begin with a matching pair for initial testing.

• Like 1

OS:     Win11 Home; Mobo: Asus TUF Gaming Z690-Plus WiFi D4; CPU: Intel i5-12400 (Alder Lake) 4.4 GHz
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 64Gb (4x16GB) 3600 MHz; GPU:  MSI Radeon RX 5700XT [8GB] 
SSD:  Corsair Force MP510 (for OS);  2x 1TB & 1x 2TB Sabrent Rocket Nvme PCIe 4.0 (one for sim, two for addons)
HDD:  Seagate 3TB (Data); Seagate 1TB (Programs), ASUS TUF Gaming VG32VQ1B Curved 31.5" monitor, 1440p, 38Mbs ethernet 

Fulcrum One Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo throttle, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA sidestick & throttle, Logitech Pro pedals, Xbox wireless gamepad (1st gen)

Getting toward midnight isn't it? 🤔

4 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Getting toward midnight isn't it? 🤔

Actually 01:25 GMT ! I'm a night owl (unfortunately).

• Like 1

At least I can watch the Blackhawks playing in Colorado while the initial test is running.🏒

hahahahah!!..  I was right!  You really DO have no life!  😆 😁 😎

. . .but it's bedtime here.
Good luck with the beast. I hope it comes together ok.

Catch you tomorrow.

Edited by Paul J

1 hour ago, Paul J said:

hahahahah!!..  I was right!  You really DO have no life!  😆 😁 😎

Ouch! Harsh! I'll have you know I've played hockey in London. Then again, maybe that is a sign I have no life!😜

Game over, and now that 2 hr 15min have passed, MemTest86+ is halfway through its second pass with no errors so far.🤞

Quick snack then bed for me too.

• Like 1

Quick update:

First pair of RAM sticks is on Pass 5 of testing (14 hr 45min elapsed time). No errors so far, so if this pass remains clear I'll start testing the other pair.

Two questions...

1) If a pair of sticks passes the test, is it necessary to test them individually (other than the fact more passes means greater accuracy in the tests)?

2) Should a pass more or less confirm the memory slots are ok too? Therefore, is it worth putting the second pair in the secondary slots for testing, rather than the primary ones, or would that be cutting too many corners?

2 hours ago, 109Sqn said:

Quick update:

First pair of RAM sticks is on Pass 5 of testing (14 hr 45min elapsed time). No errors so far, so if this pass remains clear I'll start testing the other pair.

Two questions...

1) If a pair of sticks passes the test, is it necessary to test them individually (other than the fact more passes means greater accuracy in the tests)?

2) Should a pass more or less confirm the memory slots are ok too? Therefore, is it worth putting the second pair in the secondary slots for testing, rather than the primary ones, or would that be cutting too many corners?

What is the configuration of the pair under testing ? Is it at default jedec speeds or the XMP speed ? If you did not enable the xmp profile when you started to test then you will have to test them again,

1) If the pair passes i doubt that you will run into issues with the individual modules.

2) One can assume that you don't have a defective (primary pair of slots) As an error would present itself as not correctly identifying or communicating with the Memory module in some way shape or form. The fact that you re on hour 14 with no errors would indicate all is well in that department.

Again i would hesitate to push your luck in trying to run 4 memory modules but if you absolutely need to have 64gb of ram then your next step would be to drop those two in the secondary slots (with the desired XMP) and re run Memtest.

If you come up with an error then you already know the two sitting in the primary slots are good sticks .. take them out and move the unproven sticks to the primary slot and test. If that passes then the next step is to quickly check the secondary motherboard slots (drop the good sticks in the motherboard secondary slots and run a quick test)

If everything passes except running 4 sticks in all slots then your remaining options are to raise the voltage a hair  and test again or return the memory and purchase qvl approved sticks ..

Hope everything works out !

Edited by Maxis
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

2 minutes ago, Maxis said:

What is the configuration of the pair under testing ? Is it at default jedec speeds or the XMP speed ?

I tested the first pair at default as I wanted to be sure there was no flaw in the hardware at a basic level. But I will test them again at XMP I, then XMP II.

I'm 25min into testing pair 2 in the secondary slots (again at default), so I guess I should stop that one and just rerun the initial pair at XMP II to see how things go, then 'throttle back' to XMP I if they fail that test. After that I can try 4 sticks in the manner you suggest.

It would be too late to return the sticks if they aren't faulty (had them since July 2020 and October 2021 - both times from Amazon), but as I posted earlier, I could swap them for the 2x 3200MHz sticks in another PC if necessary. I'd rather end up having to be more cautious with my settings than shell out even more money for new RAM.

8 minutes ago, 109Sqn said:

rerun the initial pair at XMP II to see how things go, then 'throttle back' to XMP I if they fail that test. After that I can try 4 sticks in the manner you suggest.

As a quick test, I decided to try all 4 sticks at XMP II and the BIOS went into Safe Mode. Same result for XMP I. Disabling XMP allowed MemTest86+ to run.

Confusingly, when I was looking at the XMP profiles, both of them showed as 3597MHz 18-22-22-42-1.35v. Surely those timings etc should be different?

Back to more serious testing...

Stick pair #1, primary slots: XMP II - 8 errors after 10mins (test 5,6,78) so I stopped at that point and changed to XMP I.

Stick pair #1, primary slots: XMP I - 8 errors after 8mins (test 7: Block Move). Stopped test.

Stick pair #2, primary slots, XMP I -  37 errors after 8mins (test 6: Moving Inversions, Random Pattern, 7: Block Move). Stopped test.

No point running XMP II.

I suppose Auto XMP just chooses between the 2 profiles but I can give it a quick shot since errors are turning up so fast  just disables XMP. 

I can see where to tweak RAM voltage but not how as it's on Auto but without a dropdown to change that. As it stands though, it's looking like swapping for the 3200MHz memory is the only option without spending more money. I can at least test that, with and without XMP enabled.

Edited by 109Sqn

So it looks like you're gonna have to get your hands dirty and MANUALLY overclock/set  the ram to the XMP specs.. If your down to try ill help .. If your not .. We can try the DDR4 3200 that you have in the other rig. Mind you .. the timings that you have in the 64gig kit is kinda awful anyway (sorry for being harsh ) so what are the xmp timings on the 3200 kit ?

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Asus VG34VQL3A / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders