Sign in to follow this  
Rob G

Good cockpit image but ground stuttering

Title says it. I finally have a decent cockpit image in which I can read most things, but the ground image keeps jerking, not violently but enough to ruin the experience. What settings, if any, will help that without totally blowing my cockpit image?

Thanks

Case: (Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic XL), PSU: (MEG Ai300p pcie 5 & ATX 3.0), Motherboard: (ASUS TUF Gaming x670E-PLUS WIFI 6E), CPU: (AMD Ryzen 7 7800-X3D) 

Memory: (G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6000), GPU: (Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 AMP Extreme Airo). CPU Cooler: (ASUS ROG Strix LC RGB 360) 

Fans: (7 Corsair LL Series 120mm RGB)

You don't say what resolution and MSFS settings you are running at, or whether this happens regardless of location, or default vs add-on airport. But this is a beefy machine and you should not be experiencing stutters. For example, I have a lower spec machine (11700k with GTX1080 ti) and do not experience much by way of stutters on the ground even in big airports (Gatwick, Frankfurt, LA etc).

Do you get stutters when panning in outside view or when panning in any view?

I had to go through a fair amount of optimisation and experimentation to get relative smoothness I have now. I also use the ASUS AI overclocking (AISuite3) to get better smoothness which seems to be stable at XMP 1 RAM overclock at 3000MHz. 

So without knowing more about your mods, setup, resolution, MSFS, Windows and Hardware optimisations if any, it will be hard for people to be much help. For sure though it will be Windows, hardware and mods that will have an answer for you somewhere, as your machine should be giving you good to excellent performance even at 4k.

I have a setup not a million miles away from yours and also experienced the ground jerking like crazy especially in the FBW airbus or any aircraft with glass displays. I had to dial back the graphic settings in the Oculus app and eventually understood that 120HZ with about 1.5 on the slider scale giving me a resolution of 4128 x 2096 worked pretty well on my system for a sharp cockpit. 

It was then a matter of dialling back some settings in msfs and making some compromises in visual fidelity to gain performance. The render scale has a huge effect on the performance so i lowered this down to 80 along with the terrain level of detail to 100. Everything else was on ultra in VR setting so I lowered all settings back to high or medium except for texture resolution which I kept at ultra. This gave me a much smoother experience and the ground no longer jerked ruining the experience. 

After spending a small fortune on a state of the art PC I expected to run everything at max which is possible without using VR in msfs but this game is not super optimized yet for the VR experience in my opinion. 

Specs: 11900K (5ghz), 64GB ram 3600mhz, RTX 3080 ti