Sign in to follow this  
Guest B1900 Mech

American Airlines 767 Uncontained Engine Failure

Guest saudi_777

Oh man, that's so screwed up....:(Sadly, the aircraft appears to be a write-off.... Do you think it's a write-off at this current state and shape, Jim????Regards,

Being as how it's a -200, it probably headed for the desert or a freighter conversion soon, anyway. I thought AA had retired allof the -200s ?

BobK

Guest B1900 Mech

It Still Has A lot of good part's on it:-)

Very interesting. Do you know what caused the leak out of curiosity?

Gavin Barbara

Over 10 years here and AVSIM is still my favourite FS site :-)

Guest CRJ700FO

>Very interesting. Do you know what caused the leak out of>curiosity?this was from an eyewitness.The #1 engine wasn't making TO N1 thrust, so it was written up and subsequently refused by a CA. MX was out there doing a max pwr run trying to make the required N1 for quite a while... when out of nowhere there was a very large explosion (an air explosion, it sounds like a cannon firing) and subsequent heavy rain of shrapnel as far as 300ft away where I was standing, it actually hit my plane and many others. Parts as large as a 30in/20Ib Titanium ring were thrown as far as 200ft. The shrapnel destroyed the left inbourd flap assembly and severed the main fuel line to the engine before the fire S/O valve so it poured at 20gal/hr until all of the fuel was out on the ramp out of the tank. The severed line's fuel started a vary large fire which engulfed the left main gear, the left inboard wing and engine completely, with thick smoke as high as 500ft. I was standing 300ft or so away looking right at it when it went. It burned out of control for 3min until the fire dep put it out. I'll let you know the exact cause as soon as AA MX finds out, right now it's believed that an overboost or a failed clamp or cover plate gave way under pressure on the turbine section.

Guest oyvindhansen

>Oh man, that's so screwed up....:(>>Sadly, the aircraft appears to be a write-off.... Do you think>it's a write-off at this current state and shape, Jim????>>Regards,I'm not a mechanic, but worse damage have been fixed. Looks like the plane is relatively intact.-

Guest B1900 Mech

Look's bad to me,The skin on the tail is pretty wrinkled,and the underlying structure may be heat damaged. If the aft spar was heat damaged they will most likely junk it. You can use Eddy Current inspection methods to tell the degree of heat damage.