Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

What you 'think'...and how it turns out...

Like probably everybody, in learning about the early stages (or announcements)  for MSFS, I was so hyped beyond crazy!  Wow...a sim that would be based on actual photo sat imagery,  with 'intelligent' A.I. superimposed over the 2D landscape.  I thought that I had died and gone to Heaven!

Then the RTM version.   Yep..I did 'die and went to Sim Heaven'.   Never before a sense of real life, or realism. This was fantastic!

Then....the endless cycles of down tuning, (in my view) visual graphical reduction,  since RTM release,  one after another code breaks,  one update to fix the broken last....until well, for myself,   The 'fragrant scent left off the Rose'.   I came back to firing up P3D and XP,  not that they were ever deleted off of my system, but I rather felt they were going to (by me) be let out honorably to pasture, after the RTM MSFS.

So...no longer goo-goo eyed over MSFS and the constant twists and rapids in the MSFS river....I started to use at least a 50/50 usage of MSFS and P3D v5.x.   After v5.3/HF1/HF2 current) has come out, I find now, that I mostly spend my sim time, within P3D v5.3HF2.  What I like...is the continuality of it. Whatever stage it is at, YOU are in control of KEEPING that version, correction after the fact,  H.F.....whatever...and,  only if you WISH TO...you can download past that.  Until then...the sim, day to day...flight to flight....working features, to working features, and add-on's to add-on's will keep working for you.

Any new or modified  version, that might...that might break all or anything....and what time event the producers of the flight sim, will or might get around to trying to resolve what they broke in the standing version....will only come into play, if YOU the user  download it.  

So...I really (for myself...and not preaching a viewpoint) , ...really now do appreciate the control that P3D as a flight sim platform affords me.   Also, that every aspect of it...that is required for it to run...is intrinsic.   On my system...day in....and day out.  No 'off system' connection is needed to make the sim properly operate, and to fully render out.

So for me....I'd have to say, again, for me...that P3D once more is my primary go to Flight Simulation platform. I do run up MSFS occasionally, but not so much anymore, as I am simply thrilled with the graphics of P3D v5.3HF2, as well as the full performance in FPS generation and animation fluidity.  No other sim...on my system...MSFS, XP11 (latest v),  can now match the absolutely stutter free, pause free,  virtual animation to simulate real life flight of an aircraft over ground terrain, as P3D v5.3 HF2  gives me.

Just thought to share my mind-set.  Nothing more...not trying to influence anybody else reading.   I really can say, that had MSFS never come along...and P3D came up with P3D v5.3HF2....I'd be a very, very contented flight simulation user.  Very contented.  I find P3D v5.3HF2 to be THAT good!

Cheers,

Mitch

Edited by Sesquashtoo
  • Like 10
  • Upvote 4

I, too, am really enjoying P3D and this latest hotfix.

I have MSFS, XP11, and P3Dv5 and of those 3, only P3D has frames so smooth it looks like a movie - the others are good too, but P3Dv5 plus the Orbx TrueEarth sceneries are very nice.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Republic DC9 said:

I, too, am really enjoying P3D and this latest hotfix.

I have MSFS, XP11, and P3Dv5 and of those 3, only P3D has frames so smooth it looks like a movie - the others are good too, but P3Dv5 plus the Orbx TrueEarth sceneries are very nice.

"Totally agree..."   Like a movie...yep, I'd agree with that description.

1 hour ago, Sesquashtoo said:

"Totally agree..."   Like a movie...yep, I'd agree with that description.

You haven't published your specs (as is usually requested) so I imagine that you have a fairly up to date system.

Although I agree that 5.3++ scenery is rendered fantastically, there are still hiccups, (although very tiny compared to previously) and delays on loading complex scenery. So, no not quite like a "movie" for me but I still wouldn't go for MSFS.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

11 hours ago, IanHarrison said:

You haven't published your specs (as is usually requested) so I imagine that you have a fairly up to date system.

Although I agree that 5.3++ scenery is rendered fantastically, there are still hiccups, (although very tiny compared to previously) and delays on loading complex scenery. So, no not quite like a "movie" for me but I still wouldn't go for MSFS.

My system by today's standards is rather modest...and yes, I also have a delay to load in (but very few per flight session)  but only because I only have 12 GB's of System RAM. That is all my current M.B. will allow to be installed.  But after that...smooth as silk flight animation.

On 1/24/2022 at 5:49 PM, Sesquashtoo said:

I really can say, that had MSFS never come along...and P3D came up with P3D v5.3HF2....I'd be a very, very contented flight simulation user.  Very contented.  I find P3D v5.3HF2 to be THAT good!

The "problem" is MSFS did come along and while 5.3 HF2 looks incredible and I am using it primarily as I fly the PMDG 777 and QW 787 and it is my "primary" sim the graphics of MSFS have spoiled me and left me longing for more out of P3D.  You had to buy the entire PNW in Orbx TE to even get "comparable" to MSFS and even the bush strips in P3D are just flat b/c no developers are actually taking advantage of the sloped runways capabilities.  Yes, airports can be made to look very comparable although the FlyTampa Athens in MSFS just took it to another level entirely but on the whole the world of MSFS can not be matched in my opinion even with all the add-ons out there.  Satellite and Photogrammetry look "real" when done right. 

So I am not bashing P3D in any way it is still my go to sim at the moment however the visuals in MSFS leave me wanting more every time I come back and the only thing P3D's upgrade process has going for it over MSFS is that it is "optional."  I say "optional" because as everyone who ran into the multiple 5.3 show stopping issues reverting back was not easy or a readily available option from LM and at best upgrading was outlined here as a 9 step "simple" process. Do I do Client, Content, full, what do I backup etc etc.  If anything the simplified cloud delivery and community folder model have really spoiled me, I would love for P3D to be that simple just with the "choice" of upgrading or not.  When 5.3 broke for me I went right back to 4.5HF3 with no issues.  That is huge.  Switching HW with MSFS was night and day compared to P3D with all my settings seamlessly retained in the cloud though. So Pro's vs Cons.     

5.3 HF1 was unflyable for me as it was for others so it goes to show either platform can go backwards while trying to improve things.  Even LM are not immune to breaking things and every major release in P3D leaves us waiting (and hoping) for the developer to update for compatibility 

So now I am not content with either sim.  I find MSFS visually superior even with the best add-ons but it doesn't have the weather depiction, hardware or add-on aircraft I desire yet.  I find P3D to be my go to due to it's maturity and my add-on base however I desperately want MSFS visuals and while P3D has all these great capabilities like sloped runways no one is actually using them and when you come back to P3D from MSFS even if they are sometimes overexaggerated in MSFS I find the P3D world dreadfully flat and miss the gentle slope of MSFS runways and taxiways...  Bouncing back and forth between the two the visual differences are just so noticeable to me despite P3D being very good.  

So for me personally I'm sort of in-between but IMMENSELY grateful for P3D while MSFS matures however for me it is still a balance of pros and cons for each platform.  Now OBVIOUSLY if I come to the P3D forum and say I prefer P3D 99.999% of the people will agree with you so this is just kind of a self affirmation thread or a good cum-by-ya around the camp fire discussion so I am indeed glad you are so happy!  

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Like Paul I find the free photoreal scenery + AG of MSFS a very big advantage over O3D.

I spent perhaps over 1000 euro for all pr scenery abd custom AG in P3D abd it still looks less good than in MSFS.

Only the Orbx TE series comes close, but for Europe, where I fly that only exists for the Netherlands and the UK.

As I use Prosim which runs outside the sim it does not matter much if I use P3D or MSFS.

P3D on the other hand is much more evolved in SDK than MSFS.

It probably will never happen but P3D with Google Earth as scenery + online AG + much improved EA clouds would make me switch back to zp3D right away.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

18 hours ago, psolk said:

The "problem" is MSFS did come along and while 5.3 HF2 looks incredible and I am using it primarily as I fly the PMDG 777 and QW 787 and it is my "primary" sim the graphics of MSFS have spoiled me and left me longing for more out of P3D.  You had to buy the entire PNW in Orbx TE to even get "comparable" to MSFS and even the bush strips in P3D are just flat b/c no developers are actually taking advantage of the sloped runways capabilities.  Yes, airports can be made to look very comparable although the FlyTampa Athens in MSFS just took it to another level entirely but on the whole the world of MSFS can not be matched in my opinion even with all the add-ons out there.  Satellite and Photogrammetry look "real" when done right. 

So I am not bashing P3D in any way it is still my go to sim at the moment however the visuals in MSFS leave me wanting more every time I come back and the only thing P3D's upgrade process has going for it over MSFS is that it is "optional."  I say "optional" because as everyone who ran into the multiple 5.3 show stopping issues reverting back was not easy or a readily available option from LM and at best upgrading was outlined here as a 9 step "simple" process. Do I do Client, Content, full, what do I backup etc etc.  If anything the simplified cloud delivery and community folder model have really spoiled me, I would love for P3D to be that simple just with the "choice" of upgrading or not.  When 5.3 broke for me I went right back to 4.5HF3 with no issues.  That is huge.  Switching HW with MSFS was night and day compared to P3D with all my settings seamlessly retained in the cloud though. So Pro's vs Cons.     

5.3 HF1 was unflyable for me as it was for others so it goes to show either platform can go backwards while trying to improve things.  Even LM are not immune to breaking things and every major release in P3D leaves us waiting (and hoping) for the developer to update for compatibility 

So now I am not content with either sim.  I find MSFS visually superior even with the best add-ons but it doesn't have the weather depiction, hardware or add-on aircraft I desire yet.  I find P3D to be my go to due to it's maturity and my add-on base however I desperately want MSFS visuals and while P3D has all these great capabilities like sloped runways no one is actually using them and when you come back to P3D from MSFS even if they are sometimes overexaggerated in MSFS I find the P3D world dreadfully flat and miss the gentle slope of MSFS runways and taxiways...  Bouncing back and forth between the two the visual differences are just so noticeable to me despite P3D being very good.  

So for me personally I'm sort of in-between but IMMENSELY grateful for P3D while MSFS matures however for me it is still a balance of pros and cons for each platform.  Now OBVIOUSLY if I come to the P3D forum and say I prefer P3D 99.999% of the people will agree with you so this is just kind of a self affirmation thread or a good cum-by-ya around the camp fire discussion so I am indeed glad you are so happy!  

Good post, Paul.  How I personally 'see it ' now...and I agree with you,  the sat/A.I.  in MSFS (right now...P3D and XP could change the mix at any time...that we are not privy to...) is the most 'real life'. I agree...but then, what I also know for myself, is that when I fly P3D v5.3 HF2,  I ALSO, am very happy with the synthetic Orbx Global,  T.E., and Regional representations, as well as all my currently installed non-terrain scenery,  as like, for airport properties.  When flying P3D, my face would not reflect back in a mirror, a grimace.   I am VERY happy with what I see for a 'synthetic based' terrain graphics world.   In P3D v5.3 HF2,  Orbx T.E. (I bought all of them the last sale, only BECAUSE of how P3D v5.3 HF1/HF2 (bought between them) renders out.  It looks 'real enough' to me, that I also feel it is real world.  I like the green/brown/black/orange/red based and mixed sprites to form the ground and season terrain, as well as the two Orbx product tree add'on's which I run together.  I guess Paul that if I were to use current MSFS as a 12 inch ruler,   Present P3D v5.3 HF2 with all my current 3rP terrain/airports/airplanes, would be sitting somewhere about 10.5 to 11 inches in height.  That's good enough for me, so actually, I make a mental note NOT to be thinking of any other flight sim, when running either  P3D, MSFS, or XP11...I truly focus on the flight sim, and the great features it has to induce me to tap on the start icon...only with the current sim being flown.  In that way, I don't have any other envy of 'lust' for the other....or as you use the term,  'being spoiled' by one or the other.   Obviously I must find something with P3D and XP to interest me, other than hitting the MSFS start icon, instead.

I fully intend to buy XP12, but only will delay from the RTM date, to make sure by other's comments that it will run on my present system spec's...as I am not changing up or intend to at present.  If I see it could run not at a snail's pace...sold.  For now, I am quite happy to run P3D every day as my first go-to...and as I say, I do run MSFS, but more now, as a 'what's new' curiosity, rather than the 'oh boy, oh boy, can't wait' experience that I did indeed garner, at its release, and probably for the first couple of break/attempt to fix....break/attempt to fix....break....blah, blah.  After that...the shine and 'go to' draw, went out the Den window...  All I can say...is that I am VERY appreciative of the fact that I like P3D so much...for it still makes me want to go grab a coffee and take a flight.  That...is simply uber 'ok' with me...and I can live with that!  

Edited by Sesquashtoo
typo
  • Like 1