Sign in to follow this  
CajunRon

Bravo throttle trim wheel and autopilots

I've assigned the trim wheel axis in MSFS to one of my CH Products throttle levers to see how it works.  When flying manually it works great. A lot better than using discrete buttons.  But it doesn't play well with the planes' autopilots.  The autopilots adjusts the trim and this seems to flight with the position (and input) from the assigned lever position.   This causes the graphical trim wheel in the cockpit to go beserk and problems when disengaging the autopilot (the trim wants to go back to the lever position).    Does the Bravo Throttle Trim wheel have the same problems?

Ronnie Pertuit

The trim wheel on the HC Bravo is using buttons, so no problem there.

Nvidia 4090 | AMD 5950X | 128GB DDR4 3200 | LG C1 48"
TCA Boeing Yoke | Honeycomb Bravo | TPR Rudders | Stream Deck XL | Tobii 5

Okay, thanks.  But does this mean that I will have the same delay that I have with using actual buttons?.  The problem is with many of the planes to make small changes in trim I can't just tap the button.  I have to hold it down for a second or two before the trim reacts.  In most cases, this means unless my timing is perfect I will over shoot where I want the trim to be so I have to try to correct and then it gets into a back and forth situation.  Using the trim axis is so much smoother.  So if the Bravo doesn't provide the smoothness of using the trim axis then I'll probably pass on it.   Thanks

Edited by CajunRon

Ronnie Pertuit

3 hours ago, CajunRon said:

Okay, thanks.  But does this mean that I will have the same delay that I have with using actual buttons?.  The problem is with many of the planes to make small changes in trim I can't just tap the button.  I have to hold it down for a second or two before the trim reacts.  In most cases, this means unless my timing is perfect I will over shoot where I want the trim to be so I have to try to correct and then it gets into a back and forth situation.  Using the trim axis is so much smoother.  So if the Bravo doesn't provide the smoothness of using the trim axis then I'll probably pass on it.   Thanks

No (but...)

You won't be using the button repeat functionality with an encoder wheel, so the delay is not a factor. You are sending instead a string of very short button presses. On the other hand, this means your trimming will be very slow because each trim movement is tiny. The sim initially had acceleration in the trim controls, which means if you called them quickly enough in succession the trim would speed up. I'm not sure if that's still there (there were issues with acceleration). The solution I use for my trim wheel (also an encoder) is to send five seperate trim commands for every pulse (button press) from the trim wheel. Unfortunately you won't be able to do this from MSFS, you will need a third-party tool such as SPAD.neXt or FSUIPC*.

(*There is also this utility, which is getting good reports, although I have not tried it.)

Edited by MarkDH

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro