Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

A whole new ball game.

But is it as capable as one of these.. Defies the laws of physics but I love it. 

😁

Edited by martin-w
  • Like 1

More like defies the laws of practicality....

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

3 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

More like defies the laws of practicality....

Didn't someone try this back in the late 1800's or early 1900's? No mechanism can possibly 'beat' the 'wings' fast enough as I recall.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

11 minutes ago, n4gix said:

Didn't someone try this back in the late 1800's or early 1900's? No mechanism can possibly 'beat' the 'wings' fast enough as I recall.

Maybe I'm spoiled by the fact of playing with lots of working toy ornithopters as a kid.

Plus I remember Snowbird, so my assumption has been that its probably possible but not really practical.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Reminds me of the Comanche that never made production. 

• Like 2

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

14 hours ago, HiFlyer said:

Maybe I'm spoiled by the fact of playing with lots of working toy ornithopters as a kid.

That ornithopter isn't how the Dune Ornithopter functions though. The Dune Ornithopter doesn't have flexible wings, they don't flap, they merely vibrate. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction, so my contention is that even with super advanced technology to vibrate at super high frequency, it still couldn't fly because there would be no positive lift.

If that's the explanation then no, probably it wouldn't work. My impression was not that they were vibrating. I thought that they were flapping at such a high rate of speed that they appeared to blur.

(Hummingbird wings, or like a Dragonfly)

Edited by HiFlyer
  • Like 1

Devons rig

11 hours ago, 188AHC said:

Reminds me of the Comanche that never made production. 

Unlike the Comanche this guy has a pusher prop of course for high speed cruise. 

The Comanche was quite a machine, very manoeuvrable and with an accompanying engine sound that was almost a scream. Weird! 

Edited by martin-w

6 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

If that's the explanation then no, probably it wouldn't work. My impression was not that they were vibrating. I thought that they were flapping at such a high rate of speed that they appeared to blur.

(Hummingbird wings, or like a Dragonfly)

Hmm... didn't look like it to me. Maybe though. 

They would also have to change angle on the upward strike I reckon. 

Edited by martin-w
  • Upvote 1

The Air Force had something smiliar in the old days as I recall.  The Kaman HH-43 Husky

Noel

Kaman HH-43 Huskie : aviation

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

On 1/28/2022 at 8:44 PM, birdguy said:

The Air Force had something smiliar in the old days as I recall.  The Kaman HH-43 Husky

Noel

Kaman HH-43 Huskie : aviation

So did the Russians. 

How do the Kamov helicopters function without a tail rotor? - Quora

Its not a new concept. The pusher at the back is though and was based on the Bell X2 concept.

Then we have the Airbus X3 which I love.

59 minutes ago, martin-w said:

So did the Russians. 

Most of these helicopters have the twin rotors ont on top and on on the bottom.

But the Kaman had twin rotors next to each other but slightly tilted so the rotors interwove with each other when they were spinning.

The ones I saw at US Air Bases had foam fire suppression equipment hung below them to put out crash fires from above.

Have there been any other helicopters that had interwoven rotors??

Noel

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

4 minutes ago, birdguy said:

But the Kaman had twin rotors next to each other but slightly tilted so the rotors interwove with each other when they were spinning.

I know, so not like the Defiant. The Russian helicopter and the X2 are like the Defiant.